• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Advice Please

blairjenison

My dad, who had his own small sandblasting company in Michigan, unfortunately passed away. I have no idea how to price his equipment or where I can go to sell his things. He has two sandblasting compressors, 4 blastposts, hoses and nozzles. I have had his equipment serviced and all is running well. If anyone could give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to sell his equipment together, but am not sure if it would be better to do it that way or to sell it all seperately. Thanks everyone in advance! I really appreciate any help!

Attachments

• 20190821_125651.jpg
    20190821_125651.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 45
  • 20190821_133920.jpg
    20190821_133920.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 20190821_125704.jpg
    20190821_125704.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20190821_125657.jpg
    20190821_125657.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 44

DirtyHoe

That is good quality equipment. I would think you would have better luck selling it individually. Lots of buyers would want just a compressor or just a pot. A smaller package like a compressor and pot may be attractive too. I bought a used pot directly from a seller, but found out about it from my local Clemco dealer. I would talk to a local sandblaster supplier about pricing and possibly consignment. Craigslist would work once you get a value. Look at Ebay sales history too.
Sorry about your father.

Steve

blairjenison

Thank you very much for your message. I will try to talk to a local sandblaster supplier for pricing and post it on Craigslist and Ebay because I am honestly lost! Any help on pricing would be great. Thanks again!

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
The American Society of Appraisers has members who specialize in valuing business equipment. Try identifying one of them who has knowledge of valuing such, and call to get a price for an appraisal. Ethical appraisers do not charge based on a percentage of the amount of their opinions. My condolences on the loss of your dad.

crane operator

I'm sorry about your dad passing away. I would look on machinery trader website and compare what you have to their asking prices. Of course used equipment is used equipment, so there is always a range of value.

If you just want it sold, by me your best bet would be a listing with purplewave auctions. They seem to get good auction prices for their stuff. I would be less inclined to use ironplanet or ritchie bros onsite auction. I don't think you will get as much $.

You can also search past auctions on ritchie bros and purplewave and see what items like yours have sold for.

If you just want to sell locally, my local market has gone to a even split between craigslist and facebook marketplace. But you are going to have to deal with a bunch of people just kicking tires, and it can take a while to sell it.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/

https://www.purplewave.com/

blairjenison

Thank you! I never thought to look into auctions and have never heard of those websites. I will absolutely take a look. Thank you again!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sorry for your loss. Do you have a detailed list showing year, make, model and serial numbers for each piece of equipment. You might be able to find that from any insurance that your father might have had. Another place to check might be with any bankers your father worked with. If he ever borrowed money and financed anything, those people might have the contacts you need to talk to. You might also consider a consignment to any of the the dealers in your general area. With a consignment you set the price and the dealer gets paid any amount over that. Good Luck!

Welder Dave

I think consignment with a shop that knows the equipment is the best option. They will be able to help with price. They may even offer to buy it outright. I now when dealers do consignments here they charge a commission based on the price it actually sells for. They don't offer a minimum guarantee. Auctions Like RB will offer minimums but you have to have a certain amount of equipment to get this. The commission you pay is worth not having the hassle of trying to sell it yourself. The tire kickers would get weeded out as would the low ball offers. Especially if you don't need the money right away you could wait till the right buyer comes along. I'm sure there would be lots of interest in a sandblasting outfit with a compressor. Your dad obviously believed in buying quality equipment. My condolences on his loss.

blairjenison

Sorry for your loss. Do you have a detailed list showing year, make, model and serial numbers for each piece of equipment. You might be able to find that from any insurance that your father might have had. Another place to check might be with any bankers your father worked with. If he ever borrowed money and financed anything, those people might have the contacts you need to talk to. You might also consider a consignment to any of the the dealers in your general area. With a consignment you set the price and the dealer gets paid any amount over that. Good Luck!

Thank you! I have never heard of a consignment. I will look into it!

blairjenison

I think consignment with a shop that knows the equipment is the best option. They will be able to help with price. They may even offer to buy it outright. I now when dealers do consignments here they charge a commission based on the price it actually sells for. They don't offer a minimum guarantee. Auctions Like RB will offer minimums but you have to have a certain amount of equipment to get this. The commission you pay is worth not having the hassle of trying to sell it yourself. The tire kickers would get weeded out as would the low ball offers. Especially if you don't need the money right away you could wait till the right buyer comes along. I'm sure there would be lots of interest in a sandblasting outfit with a compressor. Your dad obviously believed in buying quality equipment. My condolences on his loss.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Let me talk some basic economics (yeah, the dismal science).

What you are trying to achieve in selling your dad’s stuff is “market value,” or what some might call "a fair price.”

In my world of old-dirt valuation, the term “market value” is often defined as a “definition of market value,” which includes the standards by which a supported value should be derived from market actions.

Here’s a definition that you’ll not see anywhere today outside this thread.

Market Value: Market value is defined as the most probable price for which identified property rights were assumed to have sold in a hypothetical sale that occurred in a competitive market as of a specified date under all conditions requisite to a fair sale, including the following:

1. Both the hypothetical buyer and the hypothetical seller were assumed to have been typically motivated and to have acted prudently, knowledgeably, and for self-interest;

2. The market-exposure time of the hypothetical sale was assumed sufficient to have achieved a sale at market value;

3. Payment in the hypothetical sale was made in cash in U.S. dollars, in the local currency, or in arrangements equal to cash; and

4. The price of the hypothetical sale was subject to actual market conditions prevailing as of the date of valuation, and was unaffected by special or creative financing or sales concessions granted by anyone associated with the sale.

Paragraph #1 is most important to you, and the most important word in that paragraph is “knowledgeably.” If I may segue a moment, were I to ask you what your car or your truck was worth, you’d say, “Oh, about $X,000 or about $XX,000.” By saying “about,” you’re probably know it’s worth between Y thousand dollars and Z thousand dollars. But since you purchased that car or truck at some price, and have probably kind of kept up with its value since you purchased it, through Craig’s List or FaceBook Market Place or your newspaper or by talking with friends or whatever. Value is always a range. That’s why you would have said “about” so many dollars.

You need to do a little bit of that sleuthing for your dad’s equipment. Find out what it would cost new, which will provide an upper limit of value. Talking is your best friend. Talk to other owner-users of similar equipment, especially those who are not interested in buying your dad’s equipment. Google may be your second best friend, to find leads of people who to talk to. If your dad had regular customers, talk to them to find out who they’re going to send their business to now that you dad can’t do their work.

Sometimes the first offer is the best offer and sometimes you have to entertain a lot of tire-kickers to get the best offer. Don’t tell anyone that you MUST sell quickly, for then the bottom- feeders will come out of the closet.

When somebody wants to know a reason that you’ve turned down their offer, never, ever give them a reason beyond “no,” or “no thank you,” because if you give them a reason, smart buyers can overcome that reason and buy at their price. But by your simply saying “no,” they have no comeback except to walk away or to make a better offer.

Good luck. It will work out. I was too young (15) when my dad died to have the responsibilities that you have, but have faith in yourself that everything will work out okay. But you kinda gotta learn to live with that hole in your heart, because you’ll always miss your dad.

Neill

Todd.Jett

I would recommend looking into a consignment and can send some information over to you if you would like. With Brokers they tend to have contacts in many different fields so it allows you to market to multiple types of customers which allows for a better return. I hope this helps and please do not hesitate to reach out if I can provide any assistance.