• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

So if you know enough to load a forklift......

Welder Dave

Up on the fifth wheel is a solid frame that can't fall or get knocked out like a bunch of blocks. Not sure if it is totally legal though. Knew a guy that dug pipeline and used to put his pickup on the fifth wheel when getting his hoes hauled to the job. Apparently some new DOT law came in that is was no longer allowed and he had to follow the truck carrying the hoe.

Mother Deuce

but don't know how to lay the mast down and make height.

I came across this in a ad for a forklift, and decided I don't think I want them in charge of the shipping.

I've laid down and removed masts on big forklifts for delivery, but this is one option that hadn't crossed my mind.

View attachment 202173
I have done that a couple times. Just have to chain the be jeeszzuus out of it and only to get less than 16 ft. Still needed an over height pole car but at less than 16' it wasn't a "super load"

crane operator

Up on the fifth wheel is a solid frame that can't fall or get knocked out like a bunch of blocks. Not sure if it is totally legal though. Knew a guy that dug pipeline and used to put his pickup on the fifth wheel when getting his hoes hauled to the job. Apparently some new DOT law came in that is was no longer allowed and he had to follow the truck carrying the hoe.

Here in missouri , if the "load" (the excavator) is heavy enough that it requires a permit, then you can't haul anything else on that trailer, any permitable load must not be reducable.

On this particular load/ forklift that I posted pictures of, all they had to do was disconnect the cylinders where they attach to the mast, and then pivot the mast down on the bottom bearing pivots of the mast. Turn the forklift around on the trailer, and lay it down toward the rear. No way would I haul it with all that weight up in the air on those blocks. It would have been way easier than what they did. Lay down 5,000lbs of mast or jack up 30,000 lbs of forklift and counterweight? I'm laying down mast.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Here in missouri , if the "load" (the excavator) is heavy enough that it requires a permit, then you can't haul anything else on that trailer, any permitable load must not be reducable.

Seems I reacall the place I worked getting snagged on something like that. This was however moving a truck with "Transporter Plates". The company electricians had an old power company bucket truck that was only moved from one plant to the other a few times a year so instead of putting plates on it they would just slap the company's transporter plates on it and drive it to the other plant.

That worked good for a few years until some DOT guy had it pulled over. Guess he had no problem with them moving the truck that way but when he saw the spools of wire in the back wrote them a ticket saying you could not carry a load on transporter plates. Not sure what the final outcome was of that as it was above my pay grade!

Truck Shop

This to go with what Crane Operator said, That thing called liability. With every move you make you test your liability.

JPV

What's the difference between a fool's load and a farmer's load? No quantifiable difference but a farmer's load doesn't fall off!
Hard for me to imagine taking a load like that down the freeway in broad daylight!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Saw another low boy hauling another big forklift today with the steer tires of the fork lift above the fifth wheel. I was driving and couldn't take a photo. I'm starting to believe hauling like that is pretty common around here.

Truck Shop

People do things like that because it's quick and easy, and if they can get away with it that means it must be ok in their mind. And so the next one sees it and thinks the same. Sheepeople.
Next time you guys see a large class eight tow truck with a rig hanging on the wheel lift look to see if the driver used the standard 15,000 lb ratchet straps to secure it to the T bar.
90% don't take the time to run straps over the axle and around the T bar and just sail down the highway with it just setting on the forks. I never hook up without installing the straps, period.
Especially in winter time no one wants to get down in the snow and ice to finish the job.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I was getting towed one time and the driver (also owner) would wrap a little chain over the front axle and hook them into a link hook on the wheel lift. And secure from popping out with a wrape of duct tape. That's the way the truck was set up.

Well something happened and he got distracted hooking one side and did not finish it all the way.

I said, don't you want to wrap that other side too?

He said, I been doing this for xx years.

Off down the road we went like that.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
These stories remind me of a local used equipment dealer and rental place near here years back who was good friends with one of my bosses.

He dealt quite a bit in used cranes most were bought at auctions and not always the best ones out there! He had two tricks he would use to get a "new to him" crane home or to a rental job.

If it was a smaller machine he would hook his pick-up to the back of the crane with a tow bar and stick the front licence plate from his truck to the front of the machine so it looked like it was legally licenced. And if the crane he was moving was big enough to need a follow car while being transported he would just put the flags and "wide-load" sign on the pick-up he was towing and call that his follow car! He always said he got away with it enough times to make it worth paying any fines he got the few times he did get fined.

Mother Deuce

Saw another low boy hauling another big forklift today with the steer tires of the fork lift above the fifth wheel. I was driving and couldn't take a photo. I'm starting to believe hauling like that is pretty common around here.
They went like that all the time and have for years mostly Taylor’s. T&T did it routinely between Seattle and Tacoma and Portland up and down the overweight route. Used to go through Parkland behind Fort Lewis down the 2 lane and join 5 south. It is the common route to move over height loads. I handled two them like that and did them both for T&T. Looks sketchy... went down the road fine. In Portland the port would hoist the tail end and lower it. There are a number of things that go on in highway commerce that are probably not best practice. This past summer one of our drivers was out for a family emergency. I was tapped to cover his truck. I had to go to the cape and pick up a load of pile can that had been driven and extracted from the Cape sand. If I had my druthers somebody would have hosed them down. We loaded a full load and I took them for a 120 mile ride. You drive that load like your executioner is standing on the trailer because if some dummy in a Prius cuts you off it might be the last thing you see. In 17 years we had one accident. A guy rushing his pregnant wife to the hospital changed lanes into one of the Pete’s and clipped the front bumper with the back of the car spinning it against the bumper at 50mph. My driver was able to get the truck stopped and the family was fine. I have spent enormous amount of money on both my crew and the tractors and trailers and hardware we used to secure loads. My drivers were the best people I could find and most of them were with me for 8 to 17 years. I have never hired bodies. I hired qualified heavy haul drivers. We had late model gear with the exception of the General which we auctioned later. We had trailers from 35 tons to 85 tons and if we needed to dump a jeep to get a tower to a landing we had the frames and mechanical components to that job. The trucking industry is driven by people who drive the rate right into the gravel. You better be prepared to offer a service that is so good your customer is compelled to use you and your team before the guy with the ex Swift tractor pulling a beat and bent old detachable that’s going to cut your rate. Taking the mast off a forklift in Washington state means that it is now a two truck load. The guy on the blocks just did that load for 600 dollars less than you. Unpinning the mast is not a happening deal on those and I don’t remember why however if it was doable it would have saved having a pole car and everybody would be doing it. Good pole car hands are a premium like good drivers. Regarding liabilities. People are killed or maimed everyday by human failure. When I send a truck to a shop for a steering repair. I am putting my ass in the hands of that mechanic to do that job with quality parts and labor to insure that job is done right and does not give up coming off Stevens summit with a D9. I would rather not find out about his liability in the Tunnel Creek curve. Lampson can speak to human failure and job/contract pressure with authority. If you have a week or so you can perch at the I 5 port of entry in Vancouver and wait that forklift load will be along directly. It wii stop and show its permit and be northbound directly following its pole car.