• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slow movin Michigan Loader

Tom Spivak

My Michigan 75 A with 3-71 Detroit is running very well, sounds good, and has good hydrahlic pressure on lift pistons.
My complaint with is it has very poor motive power in anything but low range.
Any ideas on where to start looking for problems?
Filter has been changed.

KMSEXC

Do you Know for sure you have correct oil in trany

My Michigan 75 A with 3-71 Detroit is running very well, sounds good, and has good hydrahlic pressure on lift pistons.
My complaint with is it has very poor motive power in anything but low range.
Any ideas on where to start looking for problems?
Filter has been changed.

How Old is the Fuel in Tank

Tom Spivak

Slow movin 75 A

On a hunch, I drained the transmission and got 63 US quarts of nasty looking fluid out. I was sure that was'nt right.
I refilled with 16 US quarts of TDH and it now drives nearly perfect, or at least faster than I would ever want to drive it.
I run it for 6 hours in the bush through heavy mud with no trouble.
Another forum member sent me a manual today and it confirms that the trans was overfilled. It calls for type A trans fluid, what's the equivalent of that?
Also, I can't get this thing to shut down with the governor shut off lever, idle is set low and motor runs absolutely perfect with no drips or smoke.

Komatsu 150

On a hunch, I drained the transmission and got 63 US quarts of nasty looking fluid out. I was sure that was'nt right.
I refilled with 16 US quarts of TDH and it now drives nearly perfect, or at least faster than I would ever want to drive it.
I run it for 6 hours in the bush through heavy mud with no trouble.
Another forum member sent me a manual today and it confirms that the trans was overfilled. It calls for type A trans fluid, what's the equivalent of that?
Also, I can't get this thing to shut down with the governor shut off lever, idle is set low and motor runs absolutely perfect with no drips or smoke.

Hi Tom, Transmission fluid is just Dexron, regular ATF. That transmission will always check somewhat overfull with the engine off as the torque converter drains down into it. It's supposed to be checked running. If it's low you add fluid into the converter slowly and wait for it to show up at the transmission check plug. If it's overfull by much, machine will be sluggish as you've found. This usually means that hydraulic oil is transferring from the hydraulic system through one of the pumps. As long as it's not too severe you can run a long time that way - just drain the excess occasionally and keep an eye on hydraulic level. Michigan allowed ATF in the Hydraulic system so we always ran that way and it avoids mixing two different oils.

Tom Spivak

Michigan 75 A

Does that mean I should add fluid while the motor is running?
I will drain, clean the screen, and put new fluid in after it runs a bit to get the crap loosened up.
Thanks for your help buddy, the manual is great, wish machines came with info like that now days.

Komatsu 150

Does that mean I should add fluid while the motor is running?
I will drain, clean the screen, and put new fluid in after it runs a bit to get the crap loosened up.
Thanks for your help buddy, the manual is great, wish machines came with info like that now days.

Thats right, like an automatic in a pick up or car, and it does take a little time for the oil to make it's way to the trans. I should mention that there was a service bulletin to retrofit the early machines with a transmission filter as they were built without one. I think there's a page at the back of the manual that shows it. One of our machines had it and I installed a filter on the machine that didn't.

Tom Spivak

75 A

Thanks Komatsu, it's 0 degrees farenhiet today, so I get to find out how this thing starts in the cold. You've been a great help, much apppreciated.

Tom Spivak

75 A

This thing started on first crank with 1 truck battery and no block heat. I'm happy. But can't gfet it to shut down with governor shut off. Idle is set low.

surfer-joe

You can use a C2/3 fluid as well, basically same as ATF. Also SAE 10wt TDTO. I think Komatsu150 is right, you likely have hydraulic oil leaking into converter from hydraulic system thru pump shaft seals. It's not a big nor bad job changing out or resealing the pump, just kinda messy. Generally, an overfull converter will indicate as overheated oil on converter temperature gauge, but those don't always work either.

Good Luck!

Komatsu 150

You can use a C2/3 fluid as well, basically same as ATF. Also SAE 10wt TDTO. I think Komatsu150 is right, you likely have hydraulic oil leaking into converter from hydraulic system thru pump shaft seals. It's not a big nor bad job changing out or resealing the pump, just kinda messy. Generally, an overfull converter will indicate as overheated oil on converter temperature gauge, but those don't always work either.

Good Luck!

We originally changed Hydraulic to ATF to help cold weather steering. Back when we had winter, the machine often loaded snow in below 0 temps. The ATF helped quite a bit.

Tom Spivak

75 A movin faster

Based on what I found, the experience of the previous owner, and the great info from all you guys, I convinced that you fellows are correct about the hydralic leaking into the tranny.
I'll keep an eye on the levels and when time permits I'll take the pumps off and do all the seals.
Thanks fellas!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums AxleSnapper! :drinkup

rktdispatch

Occupation
Trucking company owner and dispatcher
More on Michigan 75B

We have been working on our Michigan 75B replacing transmission filter. Accociated Crane in Oregon tells us not to use Dextron ATF because Dextron has changed formula and will now damage the clutch pack. True or not?

Also we are having problem with the transmission disengage not acuating properly - seems to take a long time to build air pressure to make it work.

Anyone have a shop manuel I can buy?

rktdispatch

Occupation
The discussion on transmissions was helpful to me. I realize I got in a little late - but thanks anyway.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums rktdispatch! :drinkup

rktdispatch

Occupation
Still having trouble finding a service manual for the 75B - tractorparts.com called back this morning and said they had none. Any other ideas?