• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slow movin Michigan Loader

randy lee hoeft

Hi Tom, Transmission fluid is just Dexron, regular ATF. That transmission will always check somewhat overfull with the engine off as the torque converter drains down into it. It's supposed to be checked running. If it's low you add fluid into the converter slowly and wait for it to show up at the transmission check plug. If it's overfull by much, machine will be sluggish as you've found. This usually means that hydraulic oil is transferring from the hydraulic system through one of the pumps. As long as it's not too severe you can run a long time that way - just drain the excess occasionally and keep an eye on hydraulic level. Michigan allowed ATF in the Hydraulic system so we always ran that way and it avoids mixing two different oils.
I'm stumped. i changed filter ,cleaned tranny screen had sludge in pan not much for filing, put dextron !st 4 gallon
then used 15 20 min wont just stops ,then went change fluid again and put 30 weight, worked about 20 min and stopped pulled backwards 2 feet started working again , need help please

randy lee hoeft

Thats right, like an automatic in a pick up or car, and it does take a little time for the oil to make it's way to the trans. I should mention that there was a service bulletin to retrofit the early machines with a transmission filter as they were built without one. I think there's a page at the back of the manual that shows it. One of our machines had it and I installed a filter on the machine that didn't.

randy lee hoeft

Kamat
We originally changed Hydraulic to ATF to help cold weather steering. Back when we had winter, the machine often loaded snow in below 0 temps. The ATF helped quite a bit.
i put pressure gauge on tranny it had 180 to 190 lbs pressure then in 20 min it dropped to 120 lbs , is that the charging pump bad , Thanks for any help