• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skidders- Tracks ot Tires, Lines or Grapples- Lets see what you've got!

chrisD6C

Occupation
Equipment operator for a landscape company
Hey all I'm so happy Iv found this forum. Yes I am 26 years young so just a young buck but I got to say Iv learned so much about the timber industry reading and studying all your posts and conversations. I thought I had I good base of knowledge from logging most my life and listened to and bumped elbows with the old salty redwood loggers at our bar in my home town of LaHonda Ca but I was mistaken got that good old green horn feeling back hahaha. Thank you so much y'all.

Last edited:

chrisD6C

Occupation
I found this beautiful machine on line (I hope it's ok to post.) my question is how come I haven't seen vary many Morgan Silva Com 360 or Syncro Track grapple skidders on the job? Is there a design flaw

chrisD6C

Occupation
Is there any way to put a swing grapple or any type of grapple for that matter on the back of a CAT track clam bucket loader?

Plebeian

Is there any way to put a swing grapple or any type of grapple for that matter on the back of a CAT track clam bucket loader?
It is difficult enough putting a winch on a medium size rear engined steel track loader.
http://www.alliedsystems.com/PDF/winchlines31.1.pdf
http://www.alliedsystems.com/winch/options.html (A logging arch on the winch to lift the butts and electronic chokers would at least the one end of the turn 'stay in the cab')

(I assume you are not referring to a compact track loader that can have a log grapple on the front)
http://www.iowafarmequipment.com/fae-skid-steer-log-grapple.html

Last edited:

skadill

1976 Massey Ferguson Skidder

I guess like John Deere,they were going cover it from farm to forest.Borrowed net pic.I've never seen one or heard of anyone that has seen an actual one.Case built one too(post #101 on page 7).

Attachments

• 1976MasseyFerguson320Skidder-2.jpg
    1976MasseyFerguson320Skidder-2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 3,341
Last edited:

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
no its fine it helps take a lot of the branches off for the limber we practice running over trees for that reason. any that are broken are not wasted and still cut to length to be hauled to the mill.

tree farmer

It is nice to see my skidder posted. The Morgans were and are fairly hi-tech. The wheel steer in addition to the hinge steer with individual hydrostatic wheel drive makes them nimble for 43000 pounds. The Treetow swing boom is way stronger than any esco 215 ever dreamed of being. I have posted on my utube channel FarmerOfTrees a video of the original Morgan Silvacom fixedboom winch machine working on Forest Service ground up by Mt. Hood. Fish habitat improvement not logging was performed on March 13. It was a whopper of a stick we moved into the Salmon River. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Jdjf9pwLw

Last edited:

Old tractor

Occupation
Utility worker
Don't get why the loggers just live there machinery be hind . And stupid teens **** with it to no reason behind it .

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
Future of deere skidders.

10245351_10151932709687315_1489363701_n.jpg

10247272_10151932709982315_616520681_n.jpg

1604377_10151932710477315_2131980027_n.jpg

10167955_10151932710967315_214878441_n.jpg

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
spmiller, did deere do away with the steering wheel? I used to run a 96 648g and I always had my right hand on the steering wheel and the left switched between the shifter, grapple control and the handle on the door. it would seem that with 2 joysticks that you'd be forced to wear the safety harness to keep from bouncing around like a pinball.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Nice looking machine. Does the seat and controls spin 180 degrees to back up like Tigercat has done. Then you don't have to turn the machine around to go back for the next jag. Caterpillar went to joystick steering in its huge 994D front end loader in late 1998. Not sure if they are still building them that way but they were well received. Is the JD transmission shifter in the steering joystick?

dirty4fun

Good looking what happens when a mouse chews through a couple wires and it shorts out the circuit board?