• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"SKID-STEER TIRES " ....... What's been Working well For You ?

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
After 2800 hrs on my original set of Tires on my A-300 Bobcat, with about 50% rubber thread depth still left I am shopping for new tires ....... My tires on there now are getting cut all to crap ......

Went to the Bcat dealer last week and they told me that they have not been able to get tires with the BC labeled on them for about 4 mths now ????? :beatsme ...... WTF ????

Apparently all BC dealers N.America wide have the same issues. :cool2

So now I'm shopping for best bang for the BUCK ! .......... Looking for 12 x 16.5 HD's .... 10 or 12 ply ..... Radial or biased ply ????

I have also looked into retreading, I liked what I saw, but, they are about $50-$100 more using my casings ....hmmmm

WHAT are you guys finding works good for you ?? .........:drinkup

ironjunkie

2800 hrs on original tires! WOW, that's a lot of hours, even in snow! It must be my longer wheelbase but at 1600 hrs I'm on my 3rd set by about 150 hrs or so. That's with a 14ply beefy baby. If you can find them (BC) tires, why change after those results.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
2800 hrs on original tires! WOW, that's a lot of hours, even in snow! It must be my longer wheelbase but at 1600 hrs I'm on my 3rd set by about 150 hrs or so. That's with a 14ply beefy baby. If you can find them (BC) tires, why change after those results.

That's the BIG advantage with the "All Wheel Steer Bobcat" .... it does not tear the rubber off ... unlike the Skid to steer machines.

If I could get the Bcat branded locally I would .... but as I posted before they can't get any ..... they were ~$270 ea. too .... that's why I wanna feel out what's there ?

I'm guessing that I've got about ~1000 hrs with chains on all 4 plowing time in that 2800hrs total, and maybe 200hrs using the OTT grouser tracks as well.

Nige : I am usually not around that much puncturing material (not saying that I havn't seen afew nails or 2 ...LOL .... but having said that a major draw back of the A-300 is they have their own rim type ..... it's not like the common 8 stud rims, that makes it an issue for fit and $$$$$$ ...Yuukkkk.

xcmark : that looks like a really interesting tire, and only requires 45psi too .... with that low of pressure that is not classed as a radial is it ? ..... you never heard of what the cost was did you ?

tireman

: that looks like a really interesting tire, and only requires 45psi too .... with that low of pressure that is not classed as a radial is it ? ..... you never heard of what the cost was did you ?

It's not the pressure that determines if it's a radial. It's the construction of the tire.In bias, the body plies are layered diagonally.In radials, they are straight from one bead to the other. The term radial comes from radius(straight line from the center to the edge of a circle).

Last edited by a moderator:

ironjunkie

That's the BIG advantage with the "All Wheel Steer Bobcat" .... it does not tear the rubber off ... unlike the Skid to steer machines.

I didn't catch the "A", my fault, no wonder. Have you had any trouble with those steering axles? I thought that BC had a really brilliant idea with that, but I wondered how well they'd hold up to the punishment that a SS axle can get. What percentage of time do you estimate that you "steer" rather than "skid"?
Isn't there a log home Co. up in your town that uses really BIG logs, like 5 or 6 logs stacked to get a 8' wall?

Last edited:

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I didn't catch the "A", my fault, no wonder. Have you had any trouble with those steering axles? I thought that BC had a really brilliant idea with that, but I wondered how well they'd hold up to the punishment that a SS axle can get. What percentage of time do you estimate that you "steer" rather than "skid"?
Isn't there a log home Co. up in your town that uses really BIG logs, like 5 or 6 logs stacked to get a 8' wall?

Yah no problem ...... Uhmm if you are asking me to jinx myself ..... well what the hey ! ... no, not so far just keep the tie rod ends and stuff well greased.... I do throw a lot of crap at my axles, with weight and just plain use ..... percentage, well the only time it's in Skid mode is when the tracks are used and if I have to spin on the spot like on top of the trailer ...so the answer would be about 99% of the time (no need to pull out the calculator guy's).... just that i've only had the tracks on twice for a total of 12 days since the machine was brand new.

And yes there are a few big log home companies here that use that style of building ....... the area has been noted as Log Home Capital of N. America

Tireman : The reason I asked if it was a radial type is, up until a while ago Michelin was the only one out there that offered a Radial .....I heard of another Double-Coin (chinese) and they both run really low preasures as compared to the biased ply @65psi

xcmark

Occupation
construction
xcmark : that looks like a really interesting tire, and only requires 45psi too .... with that low of pressure that is not classed as a radial is it ? ..... you never heard of what the cost was did you ?

here is a link from a few web pages I found , from what I recall he paid around $290 back 3~4 years ago. I also noticed the tire company that makes these is located 25 miles away from me.

http://www.ovethi.dk/filarkiv/ovethi/file/ovethi_galaxy.pdf

current price on Ebay $400 . I am sure there is some place cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skidsteer-T...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4ab61985d2

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
Have an A300 as well. We use the Cat flex tires have had little to no problems besides the pesky nail issues. Never have had any issues with steering components. Closing in on the 2000 hour mark. As stated had a hard time finding the OE bobcat tires as well as the bigger rim finally found a 2 pack spare rim combo from somewhere on EBAY. Set us back about $550 not with shipping...

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
................2 pack spare rim combo from somewhere on EBAY. Set us back about $550 not with shipping...

WOW that price sounds like when I first was looking a setting up a spare ............. I just bought 2-rims from our dealer ... they were $190 ea. .... are you meaning that was $550 with some rubber ??

Dennis Reeves

New to the site, but not to the retread industry. I started capping tires in 1994, and over the years have worked in a few different shops/brands. I worked in a mom n pop shop, and we developed our own way to retread foam fill/solids while still mounted on the rim. I've been gone from this company for over 10 years now, so I don't know if they're still doing it, but figure they likely are. I miss working there, but life happens. I'm going to give the name of the company... Central Indiana Tire and Retread. Look them up if you are feeling inquisitive, but the owners are very smart people, and willing to work to improve the industry, and no business is too small or too big for them to do business with... Possibly too far though lol...