• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer Snow Removal Question

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I was wondering how many of you guys use your skid steers for snow removal and what you bid differently from dirt jobs (time and money wise).
We picked up a couple enclosed cab machines last year and used them to move snow for our self and a few friends. Now I'm getting people asking me if I will be doing it again knowing I have equipment and did some removal last year. I was also wondering if someone had an in on or contact info for acquiring some polyurethane cutting edges?

tailboardtech

my old man charges 82 dollars an hour skid and operator w/ push box and 50 bucks to get it there. he charges extra if he has to bring the standard bucket but i don't know exactly what he charges for that i think its like 20 bucks. its nice to be renting my equipment out while i am in a county truck lol :rolleyes:

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Thanks guys, I've requested info from both places.
Steve; what are guys getting now days for a residential drive using a truck?

Dozer28

What are you guys getting quoted for winter skid rentals?

Does anyone have any idea what is a fair winter rental rate? I'm getting quotes all over the map. The best I have is $1,000 per month + $250 for a pusher box on a large frame skid loader w/ cab + heat. They limit you to 50 hours per month of use and you have to take it for 4 months minimum. Is this a good rate?

heavylift

probably 50 hours per week....
the limit is to cut down on a 24hr operation...7 days a week

although that depends on the who you know also....

aja458

this is the first year i`m snow plowing with my skidsteer.i`m working as a service provider for a big snow removal company.I`m getting 55 per hour and they provide the snow pusher.I get alot more to do dirt work,but I`m happy to work in the winter and not have to look for and chase customers for money.maybe my tune will change after the first snowfall

stuvecorp

this is the first year i`m snow plowing with my skidsteer.i`m working as a service provider for a big snow removal company.I`m getting 55 per hour and they provide the snow pusher.I get alot more to do dirt work,but I`m happy to work in the winter and not have to look for and chase customers for money.maybe my tune will change after the first snowfall

Do they provide fuel for that price? I think that seems real low personally.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
$55/hr sounds pretty low to me too, plus I'd be real careful subbing to anyone about getting paid, especially a national service company. Most of these have a terrible track record as far as paying on time and the amount they have promised, I have friends who are still waiting ten years later to be paid for work they had provided.

Bryn, rates will vary in different regions of the country, plus the typical driveway can vary a lot. Driveways here average about 200' in length and pricing for that is around $35 to $40.

I recommend www.letstalksnow.com for help with many of the questions posted here. It's a plowing forum with a great bunch of guys who are willing to help someone new to the business.

Last edited:

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Bryn, rates will vary in different regions of the country, plus the typical driveway can vary a lot. Driveways here average about 200' in length and pricing for that is around $35 to $40.

I recommend www.letstalksnow.com for help with many of the questions posted here. It's a plowing forum with a great bunch of guys who are willing to help someone new to the business.

Thanks Steve, thats kinda what I was figuring. I actually saw that link you had and checked it out. There is alot of knowledgeable guys over there, nice site. This whole snow thing is uncharted waters for us and we figured we could make a few bucks and get our name out there at the same time. This economy things is turning us into a jack of all trades; demolition to snow removal this year has been a first for several experiences. Gotta be flexible to survive....keep food on the table and mama happy.:D

CinOK

You also have to take into account if you are just using a skidloader in place of truck or does the job require a machine with the specail capabilties of a skid loader such as working in close quarters and loader work or can the kjob be done with a pick up and are you just using your skid loader. That is also a marketing tool, you might be a little higher then some one else but you can also move piles if need be instead of having of them having to pa someelse or extra for a loader to come in if needed. I used to get alot of apt and townhouse complexes like that

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
You also have to take into account if you are just using a skidloader in place of truck or does the job require a machine with the specail capabilties of a skid loader such as working in close quarters and loader work or can the kjob be done with a pick up and are you just using your skid loader. That is also a marketing tool, you might be a little higher then some one else but you can also move piles if need be instead of having of them having to pa someelse or extra for a loader to come in if needed. I used to get alot of apt and townhouse complexes like that

Thats exactly what we have alot of around here. townhouse complexes with tones of islands and tight spaces fenced in. The guy I was talking with has no room to push the snow so he would need it stacked or moved out:D