• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer Burned Up

searcyfarms

interesting - I have only owned radial - I guess I didn't mind the TL8 and SV75 I rented - to be honest I never even really noticed when I was working with them - I was doing demo on a house that burned with them and loading dumpsters and moving logs - it was a log house, I rented a Volvo PC225 or something like that, it was a Cadillac man I wish I had one of those things and work for it, I absolutely fell in love with it - I could run with the front door open and hardly even hear it - it was soo quiet, I listened to the radio while working with the front door open and loved every minute of it !! I would HIGHLY recommend Volvo excavators in that size man it was a beast!!!

searcyfarms

so question of the day, would you rather have a 450 or 465? why - I am concerned about the extra linkage on the 450 and view obstruction - if anyone has had either, what are your thoughts - I have ruled out a bobcat, look more difficult to work on.

does the dirt stay out of these fairly well with the enclosed cab w/heat and A/C.

any other suggestions on machines for farm use other than the Case 450/465 I am at a budget of 25K.

searcyfarms

I just read some info on 450/465 and loader arm play and hitting cab - is that a common problem? or just someone venting?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have had several 465/95XT and never hit the cab with the loader arms.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
The loader arms on the 450 do have some play in them but mine have never came close to hitting the cab. I really don’t notice any obstruction out the side glass. Mine has the metal/glass door instead of the all lexan door and the bottom has gotten bent and lets some dirt and dust in. Theres an aftermarket door available on ebay that looks really nice for the money. I would get a series3 if you can find one. They are hard to come by though. They seem to have better cabs.

Swannny

I'd be super careful about machines like that particular bobcat s750 being all painted up at only 1k hours. Who knows what the heck it looked like pre-paint, and if they even prepped it well before paint. Most places that flip don't prep well at all. After a year they look like one big paint flake, with rust stains appearing underneath/through the white.

This looked like a cool deal for you, but you never know just by pics. Risky. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-70xt-Skid-Loader-/162704571789?hash=item25e1f2bd8d:g:GZcAAOSwozRZ2nGb

I had a 90xt (450) with 500 hrs on it and the linkage had a ton of horizontal slop in it, though the pins were tight. Shimmed it out and it was much better, but they do tend to wear. That machine was a big snortin bull. You'd probably enjoy one seeing what you want to do with it. Finding one with low hrs. is very difficult, finding the 450 in series III (better) is like finding a needle in a haystack. You'll pay a premium.

searcyfarms

well I just went and sat in a s250 and a s650 bobcat - ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! people actually buy and run those? I am 5'11 on a good day 250lbs and the cabs are so small. How in the world could a guy sit in that for 8 to 10 hours and even get out. If I had a leg cramp I would be in some serious trouble!!!! I noticed the TL8 and SV75 were smaller when I rented those and they are track machines but goodness I could never sit in one of the S250/S650 units that long, I was ready to get out and only sat in it for 10 mins talking to the salesman. Definitely not going to buy one of those - which brings me to a Case 465 - I have ruled out a 450 period, too many things I do not like about them physically. Are the 465 case as cramped up like the bobcat, if so you can forget it on one of those as well. I sometimes spend all day in mine only stopping for water and eating my packed lunch - yes 10 hours or more - I did talk to the rental counter guy who was 6'2" and he said there was no way he could run one all day, he gets by around the yard but that's it - they both admitted until you get into one of the newer units the cabs are crap and the A/C will barely keep you cool - basically maybe keep from sweating is about it, the newer 650s with the vents coming about above you will do a better job. Does a Case 465 A/C keep you cool or is it just marginal? Are the vents above or along side? The S250 blow at your butt and knee.

So if the Case 465 is the same size I guess I will have to go look at other options - i like to be comfortable not stuffed in a can.

any thoughts?

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I read a construction article several years ago and it said Skid Steers are built for the average size road construction worker....5’8” and 165 pounds. Bobcats and Caterpillar have the most uncomfortable and hardest to get in and out of cabs to me.

searcyfarms

well then Cat is out too then - I might have to take a look at mustang/gehl maybe they are bigger - maybe the case is bigger just gotta find one to sit in dealers don't have any used stuff other than the latests models a yr or two old.

searcyfarms

I went and sat in a 450 today - it was sold but still on the lot - it was better than the bobcat but compared to the scat trak/Volvo they are not as roomy. I thot the throw on the sticks forward/back was very long on the 450 - I would have to play with seat and controls to see if I could get comfortable. - looks like the 465 cabs in pix are the same exterior wise - did they change the size in the series 3 at all I wouldn't want one any smaller.

howsz

what ever skid steer you are on, always know the ways out if the bad stuff happens.
is there a manual lever that lets you work the hyd levers to drop the boom down if engine stops or a hammer to shatter the glass.
maybe a emergency rip strip to rip the cord seal out that holds like a rear window glass in place then can knock it out easier, and maybe crawl out, bad thing - usually the fire is back by the engine.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The cab on the 450 and 465 are the same. The AC in the 465 is marginal, might be better in a Series 3. The cab itself is not any different size in the series 3 just better laid out and the machine is run by pilots instead of servo controls. The biggest issue with the cab in the 400 series is the width of the cab. It is a little narrow.

suladas

I’m 6’5” and 290 and run a case 430 and 75xt. The 430 is narrower and is a bit annoying for leg room, also find the controls kind of low but it’s still ok to be in all day. Ac and heat is great. The Xt has more room, but I don’t like the controls nearly as much not as precise and take more effort, and being older and lacking creature comforts like ac, and radio make me overall prefer the 430.

They may seem small at first but I find them workable. I’ve rented a bobcat s70 (36” wide only) and once I managed to get in the cab, it wasn’t too bad.

Funny enough, the roomiest skidsteer I’ve ran was a terex pt-30. It had plenty of leg and head room despite being a small 48” machine. Boggles the mind how a 6’ wide Machine they can’t make the cab have even the same amount of room.

walkerv

WOW.. LUCKY MAN.. Glad your ok..
I know your main concerns are the controls & that's VERY understandable seeing THATS what you'll be doing all day.. BUT please take into consideration the engine type.. Your tier 4's will have you spending all your money on DPF fluid & the "regen" time is a killer.. You "probably" wont have a lot of regen time seeing you probably run the snot outta it.. its mostly the putt-putt guys that are complaining.. the exhaust gets sooty from getting barely over idle all day & re gens often..
Find a cab & controls you LIKE.. THEN.. find out about the engine..
pumpguysc we have a brand new 279D rubber track machine it has regen but no def fluid 99 hp and lower is exempt from that is my understanding , cat also quit using perkins in them mine has a kubota engine .

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
You may want to check your spec sheet, or go kick your salesman for lying to you. The 279D is not a 99hp machine, try 75 hp. If it were a 299 then yes it would have 99 hp and it would run DEF and have a DPF on top of that.