• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer Burned Up

searcyfarms

Help - I have a dilemma - my skid steer burned up totally - makes me sad - I only had it a year and only used it about 8 hours, I loaned it to my neighbor and he put about 45 on it in that time so more than me. First off it was an MC110 Volvo. I know you all can rant all you want about the scat/Volvo machines but I have had nothing but stellar luck with them and the perkins engine. Easy on fuel and they have some torque and digging that wont quit. I use mine for primarily digging on the farm, moving heavy wet manure, hay, digging up trees, stumps, brush cutting with a cutter that will grind up 10 to 12" trees so it gets worked when its worked. I had been mowing 3 to 6 inch trees for about 8 hours and I was backing up and heard a pop!!! I had a front plexiglass door to keep debris off me and when the blow torch sound came I knew I was in trouble, within seconds the cab was filled with black smoke, I couldn't breathe and with the arms off the ground I couldn't get door open. I shut off engine right before I exited busting through the front door and landing on the mower out front. Blessings I am ok - now trying to find a replacement - I have no idea how much or if I will get any $$ from the ins co - however I need to replace it and am considering other machines - I need something that has some guts, I don't like using machines that when you are turning with both sticks pulled and digging hard or lifting/turning the engine bogs down or dies, that is annoying!!! So....with that being said I also do not want a track loader due to the maint costs of tracks and lack of traction in the mud. I have over the tire bar tracks and they are the only way to fly in the mud. My cousin has an ASV with rubber tracks and he cant use his where I can. I have to pull him out have the time not to mention he cant push/dig in the mud and get leverage like in can with my bar tracks.

So wheeled skid steer - I don't like the JD and their weights on the back/sides I would knock those of bumping into trees or rocks, those bolts would get torn right out and then I would have other issues. Volvo are hard to find and I don't like the single arms on the new ones. I want at least 2200 lb lift. Are the 262B cat ok? that is about the only thing I have seen so far that might work - how about the new Holland 190 or is there something in the bobcat/case that are reliable and don't break down. Maybe a Gehl? I know some models have issues. I owned a Scat Track 1700C for 15 yrs and put 550 hours on it to give u an idea of the work/time I put on one. I loved the perkins power in it as well, same 86hp engine basically just not as much lift as the MC110.

How about a pilot machine ( are they a night mare on reliability? ) or at least like the MC110 the hydraulic assist sticks, the 1700C was pure battle when digging, the harder you pressed into them the harder it pushed back, it would wear u out in a long day.

Fire away with your recommendations - I don't want a weenie machine that breaks or lacks power and lift. Yea I know about Taks and have driven them but I don't want rubber tracks.

searcyfarms

here is about a minute after I exited, I exited and called the fire dept then snapped the pic

Attachments

• 20171001_155757.jpg
    20171001_155757.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 196

searcyfarms

here are after pix

Attachments

• IMG_11091.jpg
    IMG_11091.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_11131.jpg
    IMG_11131.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_11141.jpg
    IMG_11141.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_11151.jpg
    IMG_11151.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 151

searcyfarms

I have run across one MC90B which is a tad smaller and has the Volvo engine in it, it says its made by yanmar is that true? it has the pilot controls e/h anyone ran one of those do they have issues ? I know the Cat engines are actually perkins but they are smaller with turbos so not sure on the power/torque they will have grunting through things.

I ran a tak TL8 and a Kubota SV75-2 - I liked the TL8 controls WAAAAAY better, they were much smoother and predictable, the Kubota would slowly move into a turn and then shazamm all of a sudden it kicked in like a turbo and u were swinging right/left like some sort of delayed power band on a 2 stroke engine, not sure if it needed adjusting or that is just the nature of their pilots?

I did not like that slow then sudden swing type movement. I like the slow/predictable feel of the Tak.

I can run any with foot/hand controls, don't really care, I have had good luck with the foot controls on the scat/Volvo and never bothered or fatigued me running them - pilots are nice but just wondered about reliability since never owned one.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Can't offer much advice but glad you managed to get out fast!

Guessing a hyd. hose "popped" and sprayed on the exhaust.

searcyfarms

thank you, yes I am so blessed I didn't get burned or hurt other than a couple bumps n bruises - I thot for a second id try to smother fire with shirt/overalls but was afraid I would get sprayed with hot burning oil or catch myself on fire if I opened the back door so I just got away and called for help. It honestly scared me when I couldn't breath and knew I had to get out that door

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just recalled that my son-in-law who works on ground maintenance for a college was just doing the easy job of mowing with a zero-turn-mower when a coolant hose under the seat split and sprayed his leg with hot coolant. Not exactly fun but he was lucky to only get a minor amount of burns from it. Hot oil is not anything to take a chance with especially once there is an ignition source.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Damn that sucks. Of course it decides to burn right when you're under the trees.

The only skid steers I'm really familiar with are the C and D series Cats. I've played around a bit with a couple older 247B's and they seemed pretty solid. Perkins in those too IIRC.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I have a rotary cutter and that thing scares me every time I get out and it’s winding down, I be scared to death baling out in a hurry with it still turning.
I put about 475hrs on a Case 450 doing the same thing you are talking about. I really like it and think it’s bullet proof. I never had any problems with power or the controls being jerky. I looked and several before I bought it and it just seemed to be the toughest built in my price range at the time. Bought a new Kubota SVL75-2 today and almost hate to sell the Case. The Kubota controls are just as you described everyone says I’ll get used to them but I’m worried about it. Check out a Case 450 or 445 I think you will like it for the work you described. The Cat 262 was my next choice but I didn’t like the cab as well.

searcyfarms

JS300 - thanks for the info - I will say the ONLY thing I liked about the Kubota was the cab - I ran it for 6 days straight and NEVER did get the hang of the controls - they brought me a TL8 and I ran it w/out complaint another week and to be honest I don't think I could ever get used to the Kubota sticks as no matter how much u idle it down, not matter what sensation u feel as soon as u move the stick it slowly engages and then transitions into a quick movement so I found my self feathering back and forth to try to compensate for the transitional movement - even if you take the stick and slam it right or left it does not instantly respond either there is still the lag/delay of moving slow then its like it realizes OH you want to move that much!!!! it is annoying to me and a big disappointment when I used it as I wanted to like it but I just didn't. the Tak controls were awesome and didn't have that sensation at all - I didn't like the cab as well on the tak, it was kinda klunky feeling to me and not as refined. I see the Kubota refinement in their tractors as well. Better than some but not all.
Being more of an ag guy I guess I am not used to delay in hydraulics I control the lever/speed of the action not the machine.

not sure what they do in theirs that makes them different but they sure are - I have never been in a Cat cab - are Gehl/Mustang cabs very roomy like the Volvo/Scat are? I liked the upright sitting on the tak/Kubota vs the look of falling down into the V270/2700V but maybe its just the look? The newer case have that turtle look to them also vs the older upright 1845 type cabs.

searcyfarms

hmmm just ran across a 450 case boy those are some strange looking lift cylinders above the arms - might be an issue with visibility? how are the XT series Case ?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
WOW.. LUCKY MAN.. Glad your ok..
I know your main concerns are the controls & that's VERY understandable seeing THATS what you'll be doing all day.. BUT please take into consideration the engine type.. Your tier 4's will have you spending all your money on DPF fluid & the "regen" time is a killer.. You "probably" wont have a lot of regen time seeing you probably run the snot outta it.. its mostly the putt-putt guys that are complaining.. the exhaust gets sooty from getting barely over idle all day & re gens often..
Find a cab & controls you LIKE.. THEN.. find out about the engine..

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I was mulching with a CASE 465. I had the loader arms up and a hyd. line blew, dropping the loader arms in front of the door. The hydraulic oil sprayed all over the super hot engine starting it on fire. I could not get the door open. I was just about to kick my way through the door and I was able to get the arms to settle just enough to open the door. I had a fire extinguisher with me, but the damage was 15K.

How new of a machine do you want and how much do you want to spend?

searcyfarms

gosh that is scary - sure glad you are ok as well - I didn't have side glass so all the smoke came in on me and swirled and I couldn't breathe - 20K range - is what I am thinking - my friend came with two extinguishers, one with foam and it didn't touch it, it was too late and too big and the spray seemed to keep feeding the fire and I had already shut the engine off so not sure why it kept going so well - I guess all that rubber hose inside and underneath hard to get it all extinguished - I definitely wouldn't get a tier 4 engine I cant afford something that new and wouldn't get that even if I could, I always buy preowned and not fond of tier4 anything

searcyfarms

regarding the engine type, I want one with Heart - one that will hang in there and give you a little more when the others have laid down - I liked that about the perkins - it would hang in there long and hard and it didn't have a turbo. I don't like the idea of these I see on here with small displacement and a turbo to get it to produce a number on a dial running wide open that turbo loses boost u are down on power - not saying I wouldn't get one with a turbo just not familiar with the grunt of many of the units other than what I ran and I cant find another Volvo currently like the one I had so that is why I am searching other opinions. Im a sizeable fella too so I don't want some cramped up cab either - I am 5'10 and 250 - im a farm fella and do farm type work mainly so that is my biggest need. Hay, trees/logs, digging holes, digging up things, and pushing while digging/turning etc....

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I was mulching with a CASE 465. I had the loader arms up and a hyd. line blew, dropping the loader arms in front of the door. The hydraulic oil sprayed all over the super hot engine starting it on fire. I could not get the door open. I was just about to kick my way through the door and I was able to get the arms to settle just enough to open the door. I had a fire extinguisher with me, but the damage was 15K.

How new of a machine do you want and how much do you want to spend?

Thanks for giving me something to be paranoid about next time I hop in a skid steer.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
The loader arms on the 450 are a little different but I haven’t had any visibility issues. All the talk about the doors not being able to open is one of the main reasons I went with the Kubota. I really like being able to raise the door up and run with it open as well. The closet Case CE dealer to me is 100 miles away and my Kubota dealer is great so I went with them. My 450 has a cab and I’ve been really close to being both locked in and out by the loader arms. Fire always worries me on these things.

searcyfarms

my neighbor was trying out skid steers a year ago ( he has money and was buying new ) I don't remember which brand he was testing but he went to get out - rolled up the door like is on the Kubota 75 that I rented and one of the wheels jumped the track and he was stuck in it, he didn't have his phone and couldn't get out under the opening and it wouldn't move no matter what he tried so he ended up having to pull the rip cord on the back window and crawl up n out that way, he said it was difficult and he is pretty agile and thin for a 54y/o guy. He said it kind of scared him to think what would have happened if he would have needed to get out quickly. He opted for a Cat with the swing open door - I broke the front glass out of the Kubota when I had it - I was cleaning up the inside of a basement - door was up/open and when I went over the walk out stub wall ( 6 inch ) concrete I went over it at an angle so I didn't have the wheelie and then drop well, somehow the door either wasn't latched up good or when I drove over the curb at an angle it popped it loose and with one arm latched and one not, it torqued the machine enough it broke the glass out when I came over the other side - scared the heck out of me and all that glass when down my neck and in my lap - got a few little cuts but nothing serious, had to undress in the lot and shake out the shards and back to work after zip tying up the cables/wiper motor grrrrrrr - not sure what I like in a door after that and my fire experience and then my neighbor having to climb out of that machine as well.

check

I had a radiator hose rubbing the top oil line to the turbo on my Cat 246 and it started spraying oil. Luckily I smelled it and shut it down it before it ended up like yours. It was food for thought.