• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid mounted wood chipper

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
i believe I’ve decided to purchase a chipper. I’ve lived in central Colo my entire life and have always put fallen branches and the such into a burn pile. We then burn the pile typically for New Years when there is 3-8’ of snow on the ground. While this has and still works well, I’m thinking a chipper might be a better choice now.
To clarify, this is not a decision for a commercial application. 40hrs per year roughly on the attachment. I want to keep anything 4” or so over for firewood.

I have 2-1/2 acres, my mother has another 2-1/2 close. My in-laws have roughly the same acreage 4 miles away(as the crow flies. Takes 25min in a pickup). Elevation is roughly 8k so take that into account on my base hp numbers below.

Equipment is a 268b skid
2000 something JD 4300 compact
I also have a 420IT rubber tire hoe but that I don’t believe is in my equation

Now to questions
1-PTO driven chippers. Will a small compact rated at 34hp run one.
2-Is it better to hang it off my skid (74+hp. Not looking up the specs now) as it has much more power. High flow chippers are completely out of my budget.
3-Manufacturers. I see a bunch out there with good and bad reviews. Looking for real experience good and bad.
4-Rotor sizes are all over the place. I don’t understand.

Thanks for your help
Andy

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I have a Wallenstein 3 Pt. hitch mounted chipper that is PTO powered on a 74hp New Holland tractor and it works every bit as good as a dedicated chipper unit. I've put 9 inch logs through it and it didn't miss a beat. For your casual use and smaller branches I'd bet your John Deere would work fine with a smaller unit. I can't comment on other manufacturers but the Wallenstein is a well built piece.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I have a Wallenstein 3 Pt. hitch mounted chipper that is PTO powered on a 74hp New Holland tractor and it works every bit as good as a dedicated chipper unit. I've put 9 inch logs through it and it didn't miss a beat. For your casual use and smaller branches I'd bet your John Deere would work fine with a smaller unit. I can't comment on other manufacturers but the Wallenstein is a well built piece.