• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Silo demolition advise needed

buffaloman

I am interested in advise from some of you that may have experience in bringing down a couple of old unwanted concrete silos. These two silos are owned by my neighbor and located very close to his barn and machine shed. He would like to have them removed without spending much money, and I would like to salvage the concrete blocks to use as a base in a creek crossing I plan to make nearby. If we can get these to come down in a "controlled" manner without damaging the barn or shed it would be benificial for both of us. I own an old Caterpillar D8H that I use for my own personal use around my farm. I'm not sure it can be used in bringing the silos down but they are only about 250 - 300 feet from where my creek crossing will be built and I could just push the material to my location. I am posting a pic of the silos and buildings, which are on the left side of the pic, and the proposed creek crossing area, which is a little right of center very near a telephone pole. The crossing will be dug from the road to the bottom of the creek bed and then back up the other side with about the same amount of slope as from the road down. This will provide better access from the raod into the small field behind the telephone pole. The concrete would be pushed in after the dirt work is done to provide a solid base to drive over.
Any advise or ideas on the best way to bring the silos down without damaging the buildings will be considered and appreciated.
I'm having trouble getting the pic to post so here is a direct link to it. Thanks.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6725/creekcrossing6yx.jpg

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
How about this? :wink2 (Although following the link will make it bigger on your screen.)

Attachments

• creekcrossing1ot.jpg
    creekcrossing1ot.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,702

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
To be honest it looks like a job for the explosives guys. Either that or you are in big excavator territory. Roughly how high are those silos?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I posted a suggestion, but them thought better of it--somebody, not posting here but just lurking, might actually try it.

He would like to have them removed without spending much money,

That's an ingredient in the recipie for lots of disasters....

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Probably the safest way would be to erect a scaffold and dismantle it one hoop and row of blocks at a time. As close as the buildings are, I think any attempt to topple the silos will result in peripheral damage. As far as toppling them, I think the explosives idea would have the least chance for injury. Whatever you decide, be sure to video tape the job!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I think the explosives idea would have the least chance for injury.

But I doubt the people that have that expertise work cheap.

I've never done it, but I'd be happy to take a shot at it...:bouncegri

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
digger242j said:
LOL!

I just noticed the modification to your signature... :lmao

Yeah well...the first line has two meanings....the hidden meaning goes along the lines of me tonight, asking "her" where "she" parked her broom...no sense of humour women:rolleyes:

dayexco

i live in south dakota. i've taken down probably 20 silos...DISCLAIMER!!! THIS HAS WORKED WELL FOR US, BUT DO NOT SUGGEST ANYBODY ELSE ATTEMPT TO DO IT. what you need to do is take a chop saw and cut the bottom steel bands that you can reach without a ladder. whatever direction you want it to fall, you take two guys with 8 lbs. sledges...start with the block at waist level in the direction you want it to fall. all you need to do is crack/displace them, both of you work your way out. typically only have to crack 10-12 block, and it'll go over like the the leaning tower of pisa with very flew block busted. LIKE I POSTED ABOVE!!!! I AM NOT SUGGESTING NOR RECOMMEND ANY OF YOU TRY THIS UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN IT DONE, OR HAVE DONE IT BEFORE!!!

tylermckee

dayexco said:
i live in south dakota. i've taken down probably 20 silos...DISCLAIMER!!! THIS HAS WORKED WELL FOR US, BUT DO NOT SUGGEST ANYBODY ELSE ATTEMPT TO DO IT. what you need to do is take a chop saw and cut the bottom steel bands that you can reach without a ladder. whatever direction you want it to fall, you take two guys with 8 lbs. sledges...start with the block at waist level in the direction you want it to fall. all you need to do is crack/displace them, both of you work your way out. typically only have to crack 10-12 block, and it'll go over like the the leaning tower of pisa with very flew block busted. LIKE I POSTED ABOVE!!!! I AM NOT SUGGESTING NOR RECOMMEND ANY OF YOU TRY THIS UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN IT DONE, OR HAVE DONE IT BEFORE!!!
So i'm not crazy for thinking that would work. similar to taking down a big tree, take out your hinge and it should fall in the direction you want it to, if all goes well at least.

You could always call this guy

Attachments

• 535008776sZacRC_ph.jpg
    535008776sZacRC_ph.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,732

buffaloman

digger242j - Thanks for the help with the pic!

Sqizzy246B - I would guess the smaller silo at about 50 ft. and the bigger one at about 60 ft.

Does anyone think that by removing the lower blocks on the side of the direction we want it to fall (basically forming a hinge effect), that the silo might begin to buckle and "backwash" into the side of the barn?

Thanks to all of you for some great input!

Dusty

Charter Member
A Guy Here Tried The Knocking Out The Bottom Block And It Didnt Go Well He Was Doing A Smoke Stack About 150 Ft Tall The News Filmed It And It Went Right Through A Building Opps

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
That was along the lines of the suggestion I posted and then edited out, and for the reasons mentioned, and others, yet to be discovered.

dayexco

let me add this. ANYTHING you're uncomfortable doing, you should not do. if you feel for safety's sake it is better to set up scaffolding, take it down block by block, have at it. there used to be a farm every half section here when i grew up as a kid. now there might be one every 3-4 sections of land. land values have skyrocketed forcing these farmers to clear up old building sites and farm that land. we got into toppling silos during demolition of the old building sites. what i suggested in the earlier post works well, very well....but i didn't add in the darwin factor that might accompany some of those that will attempt it.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I'm not sure how well it would work out, but manlifts are so much more common today than in years past. I'd bet renting one for a week would be as economical as setting up scaffolding.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
i've never used one, they typically go 50-80' in the air?

Me neither, but there are two on the site I'm mostly working on these days. The carpenters hardly touch their pump jacks any more. I don't know specifically what model the lifts are, but here's a link I just picked from among the first few Google results:

http://www.kdllifts.com/genie-s120.htm

"With working heights from 46 to 131 feet (14 to 39.9 m)...."