• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Should there be a "degree of difficulty" factor in billing repair jobs?

Vetech63

For example........Should we get paid the same to gorilla undercarriage components versus technical troubleshooting? One is brawn, the other is brain power with tech tools. Should those be charged differently now days?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am getting older and my tolerance for gorillaing anything has gone close to zero. Therefore it will need a crane or fork lift. Customer must pay.

If it requires technical t/s, it needs a laptop and cables and software that cost thousands of dollars. Plus untold time, training and experience. The hourly rate had better reflect that.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I get paid the same either way. I just adjust my pace to not kill myself. With troubleshooting, you can always drag out another meter or scope or something. Put on a good show and then, change the sensor or fix whatever. Just don't tip your hand. For bull work, i just plug away slow n steady. I'm not getting my feelings hurt if they give undercarriage work away. That's why they keep making young men, to do the work old farts don't want.

63 caveman

Sometimes my brain hurts so an undercarriage is good, then other times my back is killing me so an intermittent electrical problem is good. I wouldn't like to do either every day so like mixing it up. I guess it would be safe to say I would never make it on the assembly line. My rate only goes up when I realize I agreed to do work for a A HOLE (sometimes they slip through my screening prosses).

Truck Shop

Depends on what it is and who owns it. But I have a strict policy-No Volvos and no
Thermo King.

BigWrench55

I have had potential customers look it up on u-tube and say "it should not take long or be hard". I tell them to call U-tube.

That is a personal pet peeve of mind when someone tells me how long it should take and how easy it should be. I always ask them. Then why am I here? With the most condescending tone I can muster up. :mad:

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
That is a personal pet peeve of mind when someone tells me how long it should take and how easy it should be. I always ask them. Then why am I here? With the most condescending tone I can muster up. :mad:
They just want you to know that they know how long it takes so you don’t try and rip them off.