• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shipping> The "NEW" Cash Cow

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I had Customs grab an injection pump once for leaking fuel thru the box & held it 3 months.!!!
& the "clean-up cost" to the customer, was no joke either..
I get my azz knawed all the time for leaking fuel.. by my local USPS.. I just tell'm, "I'm sorry"..lol
I DID have a bad day "once" & had to go pick 1 up from the PO.. they WOULD NOT deliver it..
You wanna talk about getting scolded like a 5 yr old child.!!! I FINALLY had enough & said..
"WHY the hellrya yelling at me.!!!????" I didn't pack it.!!!

hosspuller

That leaking fuel from a pump is no joke. When I shipped my pump, I wrapped it in rags, bagged it. Wrapped the whole mess in another rag, bagged it twice. Then used rags as cushion material in the box. All this after getting as much fuel out of it. The rebuilder must have though he was getting a box of rags... except for having to sign for a $1,000 box.

Pumpguysc... How about some tips for shipping pumps to be rebuilt.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
While talking about shipping things yesterday I stopped buy PO to ship a sidecover off an old Yamaha to a guy in California and as I pulled into the parking lot this lady come out of the building carrying a wooden crate. I parked next to her car and happened to glance over as she was loading it in the back of her SUV. That's when I noticed the screen ends of the crate and saw things moving. A closer look and I realized what was moving, honey bees! I asked her if she was making honey and she said "No they make it I just take it from them!"

Lady in Post Office told me the crate had been sitting on the shelf all morning and made for some interesting background noise. She said she likes it better when an order of baby chicks comes in she'd rather listen to them than worry about a hole in the crate of bees!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Hoss>> 90% the rotary pumps have a "side cover" AND a " fuel return connector" on them..
Its BEST to remove BOTH & turn & shake the pump until the fuel is expelled..
Turn the drive of the pump, to expel the residual fuel in the pumping circuit..
The problem w/ THAT tho is, folks forget to put the side cvr & return, back on the pump.!!
EVERYBODY has kitchen trash bags.. wrap the pump in acouple of those INSTEAD of the flimsy walmart bags.. & package the pump in the box TIGHT..
Its amazing some of the pumps I get.. NO packing AT ALL.. just a pump slamming around in an empty box.!!!
I have dogs & keep a box of "puppy pads" around.. Wrapping a pump in THOSE is very good for soaking up any residual fuel that might spill..
Some of you might have "Depends".. same thing..
The WORST THING I find is, wrapping the connectors in Duct Tape..
It does absolutely nothing to stop the fuel & melts on contact, leaving a mushy mess on everything..

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Had a boom for a brand new crane shipped from Kentucky to Washington state. Some sections didn't come on time and no one could find the truck it was loaded on. Delivery on the crane was held up for a few weeks. When the boom finally showed up it was damaged and had to have lattices cut out and replaced. Everybody washed their hands of the deal and the customer was left on the hook to pay for the repairs on a brand new boom and then had the project jeopardized because of the late delivery.

Only the truck driver knows what happened.

mitch504

I'd have surely been making life unpleasant for the trucking company until the repairs were paid for or a court said they wouldn't be.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
What do you guys do in a situation like this?? or better yet, an OVERNITE delivery & it doesn't show up??
Do you go back on the shipper/vendor & ask/demand they eat the shipping cost??
Like I said, when using USPS, the "fine print" says they wont look for it or pay out a claim until 10-14 days AFTER the ETA.. even tho you paid EXTRA for 2-3 day shipping.!!! which is TOTAL horse sh*t, in my book..

Crummy

Good luck getting any damages from a bottom dollar freight broker. Oh, the stories I have re-powering failed equipment moves at rest areas, weigh stations, empty lots....and there was the new loader that I was the third try for the shipper after the first two hit the same bridge 2 miles from the dealer. Good money there.

Not really for small stuff like inj. pumps, but I had a really good experience with Fastenal 3PL. I got 6 22.5 aluminum wheels on a pallet shipped from Michigan to Washington- $165.00 and they were GREAT at the warehouse.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
TPG another freight company here is TNT which stands for Tomorrow Not Today. We all know how fast tomorrow comes around.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Some years back sent a Head to Chapin rebuilders(cracks) off an Allis. Guy calls me after a week asking where is it? I call freight company, they had no idea what I was talking about as they had no records until I faxed a copy of the BOL. They then got on the scans.

Found it four states from where should have been, crate was dropped and busted open, head was rusted severely from sitting on an open dock and they stated "Not Insured" to which I explained would be an attorney next call.
Got a call from home office, asked how much for head, told them irreplaceable as off Allis Chalmers, they said buy one and bill them, I said No Way in hell. Would locate it they would pay for it and THEY would pay shipping. That was agreeable to avoid legal battle.

Found one luckily at General Gear, they did pay for all and still had it sent to Chapin as was Still cracked. Five weeks beginning to end for a five day repair job.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Good luck getting any damages from a bottom dollar freight broker. Oh, the stories I have re-powering failed equipment moves at rest areas, weigh stations, empty lots....and there was the new loader that I was the third try for the shipper after the first two hit the same bridge 2 miles from the dealer. Good money there.

Not really for small stuff like inj. pumps, but I had a really good experience with Fastenal 3PL. I got 6 22.5 aluminum wheels on a pallet shipped from Michigan to Washington- $165.00 and they were GREAT at the warehouse.

Fastenal does real good and reasonable job as long as it fits a pallet, is packed and tied down well, and is tough enough to handle the bustle of forklifts banging them around. I read a horror story of a guy that shipped two classic car fenders strapped to a pallet. It was not a smart move. I have used them a few times.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Forty five years ago it was common that the companies larger cranes was train shipped. We had one coming to Duluth, MN from half way across Nebraska. Only half of it showed up in Duluth. 3 weeks later they found the car body and the rest of it on a siding in Duluth, Georgia. After that when we rail shipped we would sledge hammer oak wedges into the car couplers so the RR crews could not easily break up the multiple car strings. They probably cussed us but it seemed to work as the cars were always in a string after that. I have to believe some train crew may have got a a** chewing on that one. Always wondered if the railroad paid the damage claim from the contractor as a large rental crane had to be retained all that time.

hosspuller

Duluth MN vs Duluth GA ... that's understandable... I was handed a Ticket to Greenville SC when I was going to Greensboro, NC. Luckily, I looked closely.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I broke down a top pick container handler in Tacoma and got all the parts freighted into a Seattle forwarder who got all the pieces on a flat car destined for Miami to ship to South America. I saw the flat cars loaded in Seattle. Three weeks later the customer calls me from Miami wanting to know where the base unit was. He got the boom and top pick but not the carbody. I called the forwarder who said the railroad pull the cars out of the yard two weeks ago. Two weeks later the guy in Miami calls me a again still not having the the carbody. I called the forwarder again who calls the railroad who says it got taken out of Seattle. A week later I get another call and this time I start calling mechanics I've known through the years looking for the unit in the Seattle area. One calls me back and says to meet him in South Seattle. We met and he leads over between a couple of buildings where there was a siding and there was the missing machine. I called the forwarder and gave him an address and asked where to send all the bills. The machine was moved the next day and I never heard back from any of the players. I never dealt with rail shipping again.

Randy88

UPS is about the best in my area, none others compare, as for the postal service...........................unless its not valuable and your in no hurry to ever see if, if can live without ever seeing it might be better yet, only then maybe I'd ship through them, but keeping in mind, it took them over six years to get a letter to me that was mailed from the same town I live in and quite a few times, many things never did show up, as in ever yet, but then again, six years have not yet been up on those letters, so there is hope yet I may actually see them yet. As for parts being sent through the mail.....................................good luck with that.

Freight shippers....................boy it might be quicker and cheaper just to drive and go get the parts myself. Just got bottom excavator rollers shipped to me this past week, luckily I unloaded them myself and counted them before I signed anything, turns out someone dumped the pallet over and the driver had to move everything in the truck to find the last roller under another pallet. I was actually shocked he found it, quite a few times they can't and I get to reject the shipment completely and have the seller send via another shipper. I'm not sure how to rate most of the freight shippers, some can't find my place at all, even after driving by my yard 20 times a week and have done so for decades, some forget to call when I'm needed to sign and pick pallets off the truck and have to reschedule many times so I can be around to take the shipment. A few can't seem to keep track of any of my shipments, as in they lose them somewhere in their system, others still can't seem to ever get anything complete, as in parts are missing or lost and a few have put the wrong tag on the wrong customers parts, as in my name and address are right but I have clue as what the parts are who should have gotten them and who might have gotten mine by mistake. One shipper in particular seems to only hire the most stupid incompetent drivers, one who I hate with a passion, won't deliver anything to anyone after a certain time of day, he takes all his deliveries he has left and logs them in as delivered or address can't be found and then tosses the shipments into a box to be sent back to a major sorting center, states away and then throws away the paperwork, he's done this to many in my area, times over and yet he still has a job, the only thing I can think of is he's got to married to the boss's daughter or something equally stupid to keep his job.

To answer the question of shipping overnight and not getting it, I used to ship overnight all the time, but I knew the guys who flew the shipments in, as in the pilots, and when I shipped overnight, I'd call them directly to make sure my parts were on board and I had no issues, when they retired I've never since shipped overnight anything from anyone, doubt I'd ever see it even days later, that is a total scam in my opinion.

There are certain shippers I tell anyone shipping anything to me, they absolutely can't use them as shippers or I'll cancel the order. If I pay with a credit card, with express shipping, I have already cancelled the transaction when the parts didn't show up on time, with a credit card you can protest the charge for up to 45 days, something that is very handy when problems come up and usually gets someone's attention much faster than just calling with a complaint, trust me on this, it does work, but doubt you can ever order parts through them again with a credit card, just as a heads up, but you can threaten to cancel the transaction before actually doing it, this helps to get much faster response than just calling in a complaint of the parts not showing up on time.

As for the free shipping on eBay and such internet places, it depends, I've used this option many times with mixed results, sometimes we get things fast, other times it can take months to get things via free shipping, I always ask about a specific shipping date and receiving date in writing, that helps greatly to get the stuff in a timely manner.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Any type of shipping is a crapshoot.

FedEx only hires dislexic drivers......4102, 4201 S Winegar, close enough, throw it on the front porch that nobody uses and drive like nascar.

Truck freight, thats something to look forward to.

Call 1/2 hr away...way past delivery window, no call. So, I call them, "his last delivery was 25 miles away, 4 hours ago, driver won't answer his phone & trucks gps is turned off, wtf?

My best luck was with ABF and I picked it up at the treminal, one less chance for them to wreck it.

Ed

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I remember one time my old man needed a part ASAP so they shipped it out on the bus since the buses passed through town several times a day. I think it ended up 2 hours north of town (it was put on the bus an hour south of town). Had to wait for the next bus to bring it back south.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Whats the deal w/ the post office taking 7 days to ship a 3lb pump from Oregon to SC??
& when I went to ship it back, she told me the same thing!! I said, OH hell no.. ship it priority delivery. It cost me a couple of $ out of pocket but I'm sure my customer appreciated it..

Randy88

If that has to thinking WTF with the post office pump guy, how about this, my sister lived in Virginia for years, no matter what she sent us via the post office always took 13 days to get, but whatever we sent her, she got in 3 days, didn't matter if was a letter or package. She lived there for more than a decade and it never changed, if we sent it from our house, the local post office or could drop it in at our local main hub, same on her end and for her to even send it next day guaranteed............still took 13 days, now I've always wondered since the milage was the same both directions, how one way could take 10 days more than going the other way. But the upside is, she now lives back locally, about 4 hours away in the same state, both ways now take about 10 days, so its consistent at least, slow as a snail but consistent.

Bumpsteer, if you think thats bad, I live on a stretch of highway that's only 10 miles long, only problem is, when they set up the gps they started in the town the highway started in, at the four way instead of at the city's edge, so nobody's address is correct the full stretch of highway 10 miles long, so when anyone looks at a gps, most address's don't have a house anywhere near it and no delivery company can seem to get a grip their gps is wrong, so most along my road have address's unknown and nobody can get anything delivered. So to offset this oversight, the county has put nice new address signs up so all anyone has to do is read the 911 address along the road, yet still nobody can handle this concept. So most small delivery package companies who travel in cargo van's drive past the same address's many times a day on our road to get to on every other road in many counties and towns yet can't find anyone on our road. Whenever any delivery person calls, I tell them to shut off their GPS and look at the road address signs, if they find my yard I know they did indeed shut off the GPS, if they have to call to ask for directions I know they didn't and got lost.

As a contractor doing locates, you figure out fast how many roads have screwed up on GPS starting and ending points, making GPS useless, along with address's and directions, so its back to flags and footages from known points, such as bridges, rivers, streams, intersections, and etc.