• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Selling a Chevy to buy an International

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
I have had this Chevy dump for 8 or 9 years now and I am itching for something differrent. The 8.2 Detroit has been stone reliable but its just lacking power. I am also on the fence as to how the 22,000lb Chevy will handle a 10 ton tag with an 18,000lb piece of equipment on it. I am thinking about taking the plow off and lowering the price to $3500 to cover the truck I'm looking at. http://southjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/4324779902.html

I found this old International that interests me. 33,000lb chassis with air brakes and a DT466. As long as it will do 62mph or better on the road, I think this may be my ticket into an air brake class truck. What do y'all think about trading in an '87 Chevy for a '78 International?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4369795955.html

Tiny

When the years are as old as you say they are it seems to me , My concern would be about condition and not the differences in year . Some one may have some insight about older binders but those dt 466s where as good as you get in that HP range .

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
When I went dumptruck looking, I ended up with a 1979 International with the 466. It has a four speed automatic, 2 spd on the rear axle. I was told to look for a 13 speed and airbrakes. For the work I do, the rig does quite fine and pulls a 10 ton tag w TLB hoe or a 450 dozer quite fine. The air brakes on your truck are typical S cam? not wedge? I would imagine the gvw of the truck will have a nicely rated rear axle so you can fill up that bed.

As to the brand, International manual for the truck in this range is a good reference and parts so far from local dealer and independent shops have been OK to obtain.

Hard to believe these older trucks can be purchased for the price of a repair bill on a newer emission rated truck.

Curious:
Does the dump have a one mast hoist in the center front, or a knee/scissor?
Are the dump controls on the dash or in between the two seats...?

Old Doug

When your stoped Trans in N. On the side of the shifter tower. It is handy to have a 2speed for low in hard going. Its a real tran saver if you will use it because soft ground will kill one in no time.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have come across a few trucks on the internet for sale that had the auto with 2 sp rear end and wondered the same. I am assuming the truck would have a higher ratio trans/gears for highway driving and a reduction for off-road? That would make some crazy low gears.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
If I am cruising around the small town with all the stop signs and the truck is unloaded, I leave it in Hi. If I have a load in the bed or I am pulling the trailer with the hoe etc, then I shift it into low while the trans is in neutral at the stop sign, then go. Once the trans is in 4th, I slack the throttle and click the switch and it rolls into high with usually not much of a hickup; every once in a while it will clunk ever so slightly.

If I get on a certain not so steep but long hill with a load, with the trans still in 4th, it will slow down and I wait till the revs pull down, then slack the throttle, flick the shift switch, then rev it up pretty good and it will go into low. This has to be done correctly and with a bit of precision, but it allows for shift.

Low is only good for a hair over 35 and it needs the hi range to get to the max speed of about 53 mph at 2500 rpm. Note: I am in Kalifornia where truck speed is limited at all time to 55 max. BTW same if you have your pickup with a trailer.

On my way down the highway empty and no trailer going to get gravel or asphalt, it seems I could use another gear, but when you come back to the job full it seems better with the load on the engine (same rev, just working is what I figure).

You can manually shift the trans, but the allison guys said it is better to let it do the shifting so I do that. On one or two locations where I know it may lug but not down shift till it is way lugged down, I will slow then click it down and then leave it there so it doesn't hunt, but that is cause I know that road and have tried it both ways. Once at the crest click it up into 4th and keep on going.

At the last flat before going down a hill I put on the flashers and slow and brake till it downshifts into a safe gear like 2nd, then I go on down the hill and if necessary hold the revs at 2300 to 2000 with the brake. Push to slow, then rest the brake while it climbs. I try to keep these routes to the minimum: too nervous. Thought about an exhaust brake to help on these occasions.

I guess you all probably know there is a tiny 2 speed gear drive electrically operated on the speedometer cable that is electrically paralleled with the shift motor on the rear axle.

Starting a big load on a hill with this truck is never a problem and other manual trans trucks will have clutch stink to do the same thing this does easily. With your two feet, you can crowd the brake and the throttle and creep ever so slowly while being guided into a tight spot.

My "sidewalk superintendent" is a retired over the road truck driver - he really wanted me to get a lot of speeds in a manual but I could not afford that to get started so I got this, the seller said a lot of men passed it over but talked to me about his experience driving it around the city (he was getting out of dirt and had his wife and daughters running cellphone stores). I am glad I got the truck and fixed it up cause I like it and it does real good for my work and my driving, and if I have to beg the missus to move it across town, it can be accomplished due to the auto and the power steering and power brakes (vac over hydraulic).

That's about how it drives: pretty easy.

Gooseidi

Occupation
I wound up selling the Chevy and buying the International and wound up $200 ahead on the deal. The DT466 is twice the engine that the old 8.2 Detroit was.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Gooseidi

Occupation
Here are some pics.
3e2e9uny.jpg
a9ahudu8.jpg
a8u3unu2.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk