• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seeking advice on buying an excavator for clearing land.

I'm thinking about buying an excavator for clearing my property and would like to know what type/size you guys who are experinced would recommend. I have about 70 acres in east Texas that I would like the clear in stages. The timber was cut on half about 5 years ago and the other half about 20 years ago. I have a 2010 F450 and 32 ft gooseneck trailer, I'm thinking something that can be hauled with this set-up would be sufficient. Perhaps something around 28K pounds. Please share your opinions about size, weight, models, engines, horsepower and any other advice that you might have. Thanks in advance.

MG84

Safely and reliably your truck can probably haul a 6-ton class machine, maybe a 8-ton but that would really be pushing it IMO. Sounds like you are looking at 120 size (12-ton) machines. No way in the world would I even consider towing that with an F-450, not even just a few miles. A machine that size is a decent load behind a tandem dump with a 20-ton air brake trailer. How often do you need to move it and could you hire it hauled?

I would not move it often. That would not be an issue my brother-in-law has a semi. I was mainly seeking advice on the equipment, general advice comparing the 28k lb machines to the smaller sizes.

Honky Cat

I have been taking out cedars for over a year now. They are bid and all sizes. I bought a middle size 240 LX (Link Belt) it weighs 52,000#. I could not ever get the work done with anything smaller as they are slow movers. They are made to dig not travel like a dozer. But, my excavator does three times the work in a populated area than a dozer. By that I mean I get under the backside of the trees running my bucket under the root ball and the pop right out. I can’t imagine using a smaller hoe because it’s all my 240 can do on the larger trees. Be sure and get the biggest you can afford or you will hate it. Don’t worry bout the mule, load the wagon!

Good Luck

Honky Cat

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2294.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2292.jpeg
    8.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2291.jpeg
    9.9 MB · Views: 19

Honky Cat

To add to the excavator, I am adding a caterpillar track loader to speed up this project which is under contract. From advice on this forum I was going the wrong way thinking about buying a dozer. Many knowledgeable operators on this forum advised me to get a 377L or 365 or a 363 track loader and after studying this idea a light came on and I witnessed why they said this. It’s a no brainer utilizing the front bucket on a track loader sliding under the root ball of cedars then popping them out like dominoes! You may want to look at a track loader also because they are reliable and cheaper than anything I own.

Just my 2 cents

Honky Cat

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If you wanted a machine that could move the trees and do some dozing. The 160 Kobelco blade runner would be very handy on a project like this. They have a legit dedicated dozer blade. You would need someone to mob it. Honky Cat, in my view, you don't need a 240 to move trees that size, even twice the size of the tree in the pic. Great you have a machine that big for such small trees, and I am sure its quick, I just don't agree that you couldn't do it with anything smaller.

If you wanted to move it with a F450, I think a 9 ton excavator would be very capable. The Takeuchi 290, Wacker Nueson ET90 something along those lines.

Honky Cat

Thanks Sir for the advise. You may be right but those trees you see are the smaller end. We have large solid plots of 20-30 footers and my excavator takes 4-5 digs at them instead of 1. I hook from the backside and the bigger ones will lift my 240 off the ground in the back and I ease it dow and hit a different area surrounding the tree. Filnally here it comes. A small one would take too long to snatch them out by the roots. Some of the water holding roots are big around as a large sweet potato and when I swing it around to stack it it slings water all o er my windshield. I lucked out on my hoe. Wouldn’t change a thing. However we have requests to do other ranchers pastures because we get the root and all. I am looking for a Track loader to really double up on them.

Thanks

Honky Cat

Honky Cat

KSSS

I have a takehuchi TL12 and it is a beast in my books but doesnt compare to that 240 LX especially on the large ones. I thought it was all I needed, not. It got parked when the excavator arrived. I had a big clam shell (hydraulic on it) didnt do well as I thought it would in those rolling Sandhills. I agree some places it would be the cats meow. But not up at the Moad Ranch. It’s the best at lifting my big 3x4 1650 lb bales of hay. Takehuchi is the best brand skid steer I have ever owned. Period.

Honky Cat

BC Placer gold

We have taken down many sizeable Douglas fir trees with a Hitachi zx120. A prolink thumb allowed easy handling at full extension. We now have a 210 sized excavator and while the extra power/weight/reach is handy it is usually not necessary. When we have to move the 210 (not often) we hire out tractor/lowbed. The 120 was nice in that it was easily transported with a tandem dump truck/tag trailer.

To add to the excavator, I am adding a caterpillar track loader to speed up this project which is under contract. From advice on this forum I was going the wrong way thinking about buying a dozer. Many knowledgeable operators on this forum advised me to get a 377L or 365 or a 363 track loader and after studying this idea a light came on and I witnessed why they said this. It’s a no brainer utilizing the front bucket on a track loader sliding under the root ball of cedars then popping them out like dominoes! You may want to look at a track loader also because they are reliable and cheaper than anything I own.

Just my 2 cents

Honky Cat
Thank you sir! That is all great advice. Thats what I was looking....someone who can speak from experience.

If you wanted a machine that could move the trees and do some dozing. The 160 Kobelco blade runner would be very handy on a project like this. They have a legit dedicated dozer blade. You would need someone to mob it. Honky Cat, in my view, you don't need a 240 to move trees that size, even twice the size of the tree in the pic. Great you have a machine that big for such small trees, and I am sure its quick, I just don't agree that you couldn't do it with anything smaller.

If you wanted to move it with a F450, I think a 9 ton excavator would be very capable. The Takeuchi 290, Wacker Nueson ET90 something along those lines.
Thanks, thats all great advice.

I'm documenting all the models you listed. The larger machines in the 52K pound range like Mr. Honky Cat mentioned seems to be less expensive than the smaller models.

skyking1

I'll play the other side of this. Why do you care if you can haul it?
Get it delivered and march across the 70 acres laying waste to all that gets in your way. Don't hobble yourself with a machine based on your truck.
A 200~300 gets so much more done and your time is worth something. I've knocked trees down with everything you can think of, and bigger is far more better. Like way better.
Edit: I see this has been suggested. Yes, dollar for pound for unit of work, the larger machines are often better values because those smaller machines are in high demand for contractors who have to shuffle it around with a smaller truck. They drive the prices up on the used ones.

We have taken down many sizeable Douglas fir trees with a Hitachi zx120. A prolink thumb allowed easy handling at full extension. We now have a 210 sized excavator and while the extra power/weight/reach is handy it is usually not necessary. When we have to move the 210 (not often) we hire out tractor/lowbed. The 120 was nice in that it was easily transported with a tandem dump truck/tag trailer.
From what Ive seen the larger machines in the 50k lb range are less expensive than the midsize units. I assume thats because they are harder to move.

I'll play the other side of this. Why do you care if you can haul it?
Get it delivered and march across the 70 acres laying waste to all that gets in your way. Don't hobble yourself with a machine based on your truck.
A 200~300 gets so much more done and your time is worth something. I've knocked trees down with everything you can think of, and bigger is far more better. Like way better.
Edit: I see this has been suggested. Yes, dollar for pound for unit of work, the larger machines are often better values because those smaller machines are in high demand for contractors who have to shuffle it around with a smaller truck. They drive the prices up on the used ones.
Thank you sir, you make a very good point. Time is money!! A few years ago a guy was clearing a pipeline easement near me with a big 300 hp 81k pound Cat excavator, I paid to clear 2 acres for me. That thing walked thru the biggest trees like a hot knife thru butter. He hit the base a few times and then ripped the entire tree and roots out. Then neatly stacked and burned everthing.