• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seeking advice on buying an excavator for clearing land.

Honky Cat

I'm documenting all the models you listed. The larger machines in the 52K pound range like Mr. Honky Cat mentioned seems to be less expensive than the smaller models.
From what Ive seen the larger machines in the 50k lb range are less expensive than the midsize units. I assume thats because they are harder to move.
Yes Anthony I drug some savings out of the ground and have less than $30,000 in it and it was bought at auction from a 1- owner that was an electrician and all he did with it was dig right of way ditches for his buried electric cable. Low hours, clean as a whistle and had it shipped to Oklahoma from Wisconsin. Probably the best find ever for a heavy duty machine in my small arsenal. Now I have added a 2004 Peterbilt extended hood 280 in wheelbase with a C-15 550 hp Caterpillar Day Cab that was overhauled fresh, and I bought it in Victoria Texas and drove it back to Oklahoma and put the first miles on the engine on the way home. Then I found a Fontaine 55 Ton detachable RGN in Ohio and went picked it up to haul my gear on because there is a big need for people that want to work m, plucking these invasive cedars from peoples large Ranches and Farms. The cedars are worse than the Wild Boar invasion. They have quietly taken over massive properties. I am working with my 19 year old son at getting ready to go help other people that seek our skills eliminating cedar trees. You can do the same thing in Texas. It’s addicting! Just be sure you are patient and don’t jump at the first machine you choose because there are 1,000’s of older machines out there that need a job. Maintain and grease your excavator, tractor, dozer, or track loader every day and change oil and filters regularly and you will be surprised at how well they (machines) work for you. If I can help in any way pm me. I don’t know much, but I know cedars and learn something new every day. The day I stop learning is the day I’m done.

Happy Clearing!
Good Luck!

Honky Cat

terex herder

How can we make suggestions when you don't say what size and types your trees and stumps are? Nor what soil type you have? I have a 20 ton hoe, some places it will take out 20" dbh trees with ease, other soil types and its a 20 minute dig for the same size tree.

If you tear up your equipment working in dirt its your own fault, but trees just want to kill you.

terex herder

I prefer a tree saw for cedars. It doesn't tear up the ground. Locally, they are western red cedars, they don't require herbicide on the stump if all green is cut off.

Honky Cat

My mother has paid many of the cedar saw operators through the years she was alive and they overcharged her and spent more time fixing their worn out saws that cutting cedars. When I cross a large or smaller stump in my excavator I pluck it out and have not plucked one yet that the roots were still sucking water. Their roots were still big and healthy and full of water. You could not pay me me to take a saw to my cedars or a mulcher because the stump doesn’t grow back a tree but it still is fed by the roots forever. The mulcher grinds trees and leaves into a pile of poison. If you ever look under the vast canopies of cedars there is no grass just old needle droppings from the leaves and they poison the grass and kill the grass. Why would I spend double the time mulching then spreading the poison chunks of cedar over the land that kills grass? Dont make sence to me but for each his own.

Honky Cat

skyking1

@BC Placer gold
yes that is how it is. 160's are dang handy/spendy. If I had my wish I'd have a blade 160 and a 3 axle trailer behind the company dump truck, much like @KSSS has.
even though a smaller machine will handle your trees, what I cherish about a big machine is much less walking. I can reach and do and walk in a straight line, toss huge bundles of logs as I go, brush, whatever. The swath of destruction is pleasing to the eye and also easier on the undercarriage, and your body in general.

skyking1

LOL I was dragging all sorts of limbs and crap at me today as I sorted it out of the dirt that the logger hid it in. The 120 was none too big!!
I'll take some after pictures. Right now it looks like several bombs went off as I try to root out what is possible. I will re-berm the windrow-O-crapola when I get done. It will be greatly reduced.

Last edited:

IceHole

Lot of hours on a Hitachi 200 grubbing land. It's about the smallest I'd want to use to be productive.
Used a 330 as well and quite a bit faster.

If you're moving logs, weight is your friend.
I have a 40 (about 11,000lbs) and it's sketchy moving even just 1 tree at a time, and can't lift larger ones. So won't lift high enough to load a log truck.

Last edited: