• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
Not sure if I am in the correct place but I just got a d65-12 machine has been sitting for several years. I got the machine started up and moving a little after changing all filters and fluids and had to replace all cables for throttle and shifter and drive control cables. Problem I am having with the machine is when in forward only the left side track pulls same goes for reverse it only pulls on left side. The right side will pull track tension in forward and reverse but has no power to turn
It would seem the right clutch is slipping . Generally, when steering clutch problems arise it is best to plan on cleaning and overhaul for both sides. You'll be far ahead in the long run.

The steering clutches will be in the housing at the rear of machine with the control valve for steering correct? Can the clutches be serviced with just pulling the top plate off the housing or does the final drive and all have to be removed.

Don Shilling

Occupation
The steering clutches will be in the housing at the rear of machine with the control valve for steering correct? Can the clutches be serviced with just pulling the top plate off the housing or does the final drive and all have to be removed.
Not sure about your model. Mine is a D21 and access is made by removing the top cover and the final drive is not affected. It might be best to start a new thread for your model dozer.

cxprestige

Another item that came to light today, on my D21, The 8 taped holes on the back of the dozer that are drilled into the steering clutch case. I thought they were 16 mm and even run a 16x2 tap thru all of them. When I inserted a 16x2 bolt and snugged it up, the bold pulled back and jumped the threads like it was one size too small. Did I miss-measure the holes? I'm old school and not all that keen on M and M's!

On my D21-5, those holes are 16mm X 1.5 --JIS fine thread. How hard was it to run the tap through? That may have damaged the threads.

Don Shilling

Occupation
On my D21-5, those holes are 16mm X 1.5 --JIS fine thread. How hard was it to run the tap through? That may have damaged the threads.
It was fairly easy but the diameter of the hole seems larger than 16mm. I have an 18x2.5 tap coming and see how that fits.

cxprestige

It was fairly easy but the diameter of the hole seems larger than 16mm. I have an 18x2.5 tap coming and see how that fits.

Possibly the later 7 series had larger holes--they had an optional 3-point hitch listed that would need strong attachment.

Don, I took a look at your earlier posts--very nice work on your steering clutch repair! Restoration class paintwork. With that level of detail I'll have to do a lot of cleaning before I'm ready to post pics of the outside of mine...

Dozman

Can you update the drive controls? I have a D21-p6. And would like to have more modern controls

Don Shilling

Occupation
Is it possible to purchase a D21-7 from over seas? Or is it cost prohibitive?
Really, there is no reason you couldn't purchase a machine from overseas. The question is, why? There are plenty of choices available around the US.

Dozman

Hmmm. I guess I need to do some more research? I assume These small D 21 are no longer being made? Not sure where to look other wise? Maybe someone in the forum can help?

Don Shilling

Occupation
Hmmm. I guess I need to do some more research? I assume These small D 21 are no longer being made? Not sure where to look other wise? Maybe someone in the forum can help?
Just Google Komasu D21-7 for sale. There are tons of them avaliable.

Dozman

Has anyone replaced a track adjuster seal? Not sure how to release the spring tension?

g_man

Occupation
Retired
If iit is like my Dresser TD7 there is a cap with 2 bolts covering the grease zerk for tightening the track. Remove the zerk and push back the idler to collapse the cylinder.

TrackTension.jpg

gg

Dozman

This is the spring I’m talking about.i need to replace the seal around the idler fork? Just not sure how to get the tension off the track spring? Can anyone help?

Attachments

• CFCC539C-57C1-4223-92A1-AD73121D39F2.jpeg
    CFCC539C-57C1-4223-92A1-AD73121D39F2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26

Dozman

Does anyone know where to get the black knobs for the control levers? For the Komatsu D21p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

g_man

Occupation
Retired
So how do you tighten your track ??? To take the tension off the spring you have to loosen the track. Do the opposite of tighten. On mine I pump grease into the track adjuster to tighten the track. To loosen the track so I can get the adjuster out I have to take grease out of the adjuster. I do this by removing the grease zerk and pushing back on the idler to collapse the adjuster which relieves the spring tension. Yours must work similarly I would think. Maybe its a mechanical screw adjustment ?? You still have to loosen the track to get the tension off the spring.

gg

Dozman

Cut this floor mat out of stall mats from Tractor Supply. Hoping to quiet trans noise?