• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
I have a d21a7 and am having starter problems. The solenoid is bad but it will not separate from starter. Do I have .to remove starter to get it off

I don't know about that, but my d21a7 solenoid acted up and I "whacked" it real good and hasn't acted up since.

tlundberg04

Hello, my father just bought a d21p dozer and I was looking to find a manual for it. The problem is it looks like the plate with the serial number is gone. I found a series of numbers on the left rear of the dozer, D205-48402. Does this have anything to do with the serial number? I'm trying to figure out the year so I can order the manual. Thanks

tlundberg04

I'm not sure if the paint will help indicate the year but I've added this crummy picture I took. If anyone could help that'd be great. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 445

solarbobky

Occupation
Engineer
Three point hitch retrofit

Hi all, Larry here, this is my first post so I hope to get it right. I read every single post on every single page in this section for the Komatsu D20, 21 and similar. I learned allot and hope to share some of my experiences and dozer add-ons, modifications and maintenance for your entertainment and enjoyment. I saw a couple of references with links to other forums where I posted about my Komatsu D20 A-6, so I thought it might be good to join this forum to learn and contribute to the best of my ability.

Hey Frank Dozer,
A TPH on your dozer sure would come in handy. I would like to do the same someday. I have a TPH backhoe hooked up to one of my tractors and am considering one day connecting it to my little Komatsu D20A-6. So when you work out all the details please post some pics so we can check it out. Your idea of using a winch to raise and lower it seems like it should work. You might also consider tapping into the hydraulic system, add a control valve (with a float position) to actuate a hydraulic cylinder so as to get down pressure. With that setup your rake will work great (using the float position on the valve), as well as someday being able to fabricate a ripper, that is if you would have a need for a ripper.

Tapping into the hydraulics and adding a valve is not that difficult. I did just that so I could use my dozer to pull a home made hydraulic dump trailer. It's use for hauling fill dirt up my logging road and to haul firewood on the way back down.

Once I reach the level where I am allowed to post some pic's I will be happy to share them so you can check it out.

Larry

There are several kits out there for adding three point hitches to old tractors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-POINT-KUB...627744?hash=item3d16dd9e20:g:Xo4AAOxyYANTYDa7
even one with hydraulic lift:
http://www.steinertractor.com/IHS30093-Point-Hitch-Kit

thebull52

transmission shifting problems

I have a Kamatsu D20P I shifted the transmission into reverse but it stayed in a forward gear and won't shift back out. It is stuck in this gear and won't shift at all. Any ideas on how to get it back into regular shifting patterns. I pulled the top of the transmission shifting stick out and can see down into the transmission where the shifting rod goes but can't get anything to move.

_BC_

great information Thanks new D21p-7 owner here so forgive me but I have read through these posts and I need to clean transmission screen but can NOT find it there is a small door in belly where you drain transmission is it in there somewhere

gabelivingston

thought it was just bad clutches

hello everyone, I just bought a D21-7E. This is my first post, hoping yall can help me. I bought this dozer and after a few hours of running the right side started making some clicking noises and started to not disengage and would bog the engine down when trying to stear right. I also locked up occasionally but it stopped doing that after a few days of running it so I thought maybe the clutches had rust. Well in about 15 minutes time the right side went from slipping a little while pushing to nothing on the the right side. It would just click loudly. I thought the clutches where gone so I ordered clutches and brake band and started tearing everything down yesterday. When I get all the bolts off both sides I notice the flange on the outside that the drum bolts to has a lot of play in it. I havnt lifted the clutch assembly out but I'm thinking I've got more problems than just the clutches being bad. Any ideas?

pdub

Good evening. In the process of replacing clutches on a 20P-6. I am trying to determine if I need to adjust the position of the stud that comes out of the top of yoke that the booster cylinder piston presses against to release the clutches. I have read that it needs to be 121mm from the center line of the bevel gear case. If that is correct is that based on the location of the yoke being pressed against the clutch pack before you measure or the yoke positioned as far towards the bevel gear case? Mine has slack, not sure if that is based on wear of the clutches or not. If this stud is too far one way or the other the clutch will not work properly.

Thank for the replies in advance.

Cguth

D20-a5

This thread is the best. I've read most of it, my problem is with the cutting edge. I've order through the dealer, but it has been almost a month. So I'm looking for another option. Anybody have a recommendation for getting a new edge and end bits?

crayk10

Hello I have a d21p-6 and it has sat sometime and now I'm getting it going. Started great but when I pull the left lever the track is froze and it kills the dozer. The right track will spin the dozer in circles. I am new to working on these and don't have much experience. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and pictures would be even better so I can get it moving. Thanks

pdub

Hello I have a d21p-6 and it has sat sometime and now I'm getting it going. Started great but when I pull the left lever the track is froze and it kills the dozer. The right track will spin the dozer in circles. I am new to working on these and don't have much experience. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and pictures would be even better so I can get it moving. Thanks

The brake is locked up on that side. In the back of the machine below the batterys you should see covers left and right with 2 bolts in them. Take the cover off and back the 17mm bolt out a few turns and maybe give the end of the socket extension a couple of whacks to see if you can break it free. Its a band around the drum. They will lock up sometimes after just sitting a few days after working the machine. Under the seat you should make sure the arm that the break pedal is connected to is free and rotates. Take the seat out and when you push on the brake pedal follow the linkage till it ends on either side in the back. You should see it rotating the 2 arms. Maybe the arm is stuck. The pedal operates the same brakes as the steering arms.

Good luck.

Hello, I have a D21A-5 with steering brake issues (left). Clutches seem to work fine, left steering brake will not engage going forward but does in reverse. If I adjust it up it just drags the whole time. I think it might be a broken spring. I have the shop manual but it does not describe the process of removing the brake (or clutch). Is there a better manual or does anyone have documentation on removing the steering brake?

Thanks!
Jeff

okiekidd

Occupation
Retired
I just joined today after I read through the whole 145 pages of this thread. Man, this is fantastic information. I just bought a 1985 D20A-6 s/n 61556. Currently doing repairs, hope to get it going soon. Will post pictures when I can. Mine is painted "pea green" was previously owned by a landscaping company and all their equipment was "pea green". Oh well can't change that.:)

Additional info

It looks like there are two shop manuals? The one I have is 223 pages and is titled "Shop Manual", the other is listed as a "Service Manual" and is 522 pages? Does anyone know if that is the one I need from SSB or am I going the wrong direction?

Apparently the section I need is 23

Hello, I have a D21A-5 with steering brake issues (left). Clutches seem to work fine, left steering brake will not engage going forward but does in reverse. If I adjust it up it just drags the whole time. I think it might be a broken spring. I have the shop manual but it does not describe the process of removing the brake (or clutch). Is there a better manual or does anyone have documentation on removing the steering brake?

Thanks!
Jeff

pdub

It looks like there are two shop manuals? The one I have is 223 pages and is titled "Shop Manual", the other is listed as a "Service Manual" and is 522 pages? Does anyone know if that is the one I need from SSB or am I going the wrong direction?

Apparently the section I need is 23
Jeff,

If you want you can give me a call and I can tell you what you need to do. I just went thru it and with the help of this site and some other folks like Kent Baugh I got thru it a lot easier than what it would have taken just following the manual.

Paul 832-221-7358.

okiekidd

Occupation
Retired
D20A-6 Starter Solenoid

Hello, this will be my first post of a question. Can anyone give me a replacement part number for the Starter Solenoid for my D20A-6. The Komatsu number is 47100-3590. I'm looking for an Echlin or Delco number https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/images/icons/icon5.png that I can get at my local NAPA store, hopefully. Of course it will have to be 24V.

Thank you.