• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Hello,
I have a D21a-5 and my left brake is sticking. The brake arm under the seat never returns all the way down level with the right side. Is there an easy fix without having to pull it out?

Thanks!

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Jeff, it's not that hard to pull the seat out and the floor plates so the linkage is all exposed. I'm wondering if you just have something jammed in the way and it's not letting the linkage move freely. Or maybe there is something that just needs a little oil. It's hard to say from afar, but I would definitely take a look at that first, if it were me. If that isn't it, I would make sure the plunger on the valve control assembly is popping back out after the linkage pushes it in. And if that isn't it, you may just have a brake that is not releasing in the brake/steering clutch assembly. And, of course, it could be other things too. Check back a few pages where we were discussing the steering and brake components. I know I posted quite a bit back there with pictures and all that may help you figure it out. And post back on here after you find out more. Maybe we can aim you a little better with more info. Good luck with it, sir.

mitch504

I have a D21A6 with a broken clutch cable. Cant seem to locate one, can anyone help me out? The part# is 103-43-33350.

Contact Darin Ray, he's a member here who specializes in baby Kommies: http://www.dmmsales.com/

Also, your local Komatsu dealer should be able to get that, though some of them act like they don't want to admit Komatsu built D21s.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
gperk, if Darin Ray doesn't have what you need, our local Komatsu dealer is really good on parts orders. Here is their website.

Last edited:

Doug713

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Hello folks, I'm new the forum and I ain't real sure if I'm posting correctly yet. I recently purchased a Komatsu D21P-6 and I love it. It has about 3400 hours on it and the motor purrs, But it seems the I have a clutch problem cause it will not steer to the left. Also the right track doesn't seem to pull as hard as the left. When trying to load it back on the trailer it kept turning right and running off the ramps. Kinda scary. I had to use the blade and some chain to assist it up on the trailer. If anyone has changed these clutches before I could use some advise and maybe a few pictures if you have them. I've been an aircraft mechanic for 40 years so I have the tools and skills just not enough knowledge of this little machine.
Thanks Doug

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Doug, you may very well just need to do a little adjustment on the right clutch, or maybe the linkage. We have posted lots of stuff about steering clutches and brakes in the last 10 pages or so. You might want to read some of the posts from them to give you an idea of how the steering works. But I'll throw in a few comments first with my thoughts on what it may be.

I'm assuming the left track will stop completely when you pull back on the left brake handle, so it appears to be working fine. The normal mode for the steering clutch and brake, when the steering handle is not pulled out, is that the clutch is fully engaged and the brake is disengaged. When you pull back on the handle slowly, with proper adjustment, the clutch will disengage first, allowing that track to be free-wheeling. As you pull back further, the brake will engage, stopping the track from turning altogether. On my D20A-6, if I pull back slightly on the right steering handle, it will start a slow turn to the right. If I pull back further, it will pivot sharply on the right track.

I'm thinking your right clutch is not engaged completely, therefore the left track is pushing harder and causing it to want to go right all the time. There is an adjustment screw that determines how much the clutch release is pushed. I suppose it could be adjusted such that the clutch is always partially released. And you could just have worn clutch plates, but I would think that the ones on the left would be close to the same shape if that were true. And the linkage from the steering handle to the actuator that is pushed in on the steering valve assembly could possibly be always pushing the actuator in a little, causing it to send hydraulic fluid to the piston that pushes on the clutch release, but that's not a common problem, from all I've read.

Pulling the clutches is not an easy job. There are posts on this forum that others have written detailing their experiences with that, and it doesn't look like a lot of fun to me. I would try everything else before I went that route, if I were you. It's not that hard to remove the seat and the floor plates, and then you can see the linkage moving and you'll see the actuators on the steering control valve assembly that the handles push in. If you have the shop manual, it will help a bit, but the pictures in it are terrible, and it's very hard to see details of any kind. You might want to look at the Komatsu Parts Book website and find the parts breakdown so you can see more details. I know I've posted links to it a couple of times in the last few pages here.

Good luck with it, and please come back and tell us what you find. It helps us all to learn more, and you may save the next visitor a lot of time and frustration.

Doug713

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Thanks RRR, I'll check out what you recommended. It would nice if it is just an adjustment problem. The left side does pull very strongly and the dozer was working fine when I picked it up. I cleared about 2 or 3 acres and the right track just seemed to loose power. Thanks for your quick response. I need to get this little monster running I still have close to 30 acres to clean up. I'll let you know what I find.

Doug713

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
20140826_153235.jpgThanks RRR, I'll check out what you recommended. It would nice if it is just an adjustment problem. The left side does pull very strongly and the dozer was working fine when I picked it up. I cleared about 2 or 3 acres and the right track just seemed to loose power. Thanks for your quick response. I need to get this little monster running I still have close to 30 acres to clean up. I'll let you know what I find.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Just noticed your location, Doug. I was born in Cleveland and have all kinds of relatives in that area and In the Houston metroplex. Small world.

Your dozer looks nice, but it appears the tracks were changed out for the grouser type. The P in the D21P-6 indicates pyramid type tracks. I don't have the overhead structure you have on yours. I just have the original sun shade fiberglass top, which has been almost entirely ripped off now from some of the clearing I've done. As soon as we get our house built, and my shop is no longer a furniture and household belongings storage shed, I plan to build something on mine to keep limbs and such from trying to stab me or push me off the seat while I'm clearing. I think it will be a good project for me to work on my welding skills.

John25mm

RRRancher I think I read somewhere that the "P" was for wide tracks whether they are pyramid or grouser. If someone has a definate answer I would love to know so I can be correct in the future. Thanks in advance.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
John, I guess I had heard somewhere that the P was for pyramid. But I stand corrected. And thanks for educating me to this. I guess I should not be spouting off things that I just heard but didn't know for sure. I just checked the shop manual and I have to admit that it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it appears that the P is a wider track than the A. Here is a snip of the page pertaining to the dry type track link like I have.

Tracks.JPG

Like much of this manual, it is a bit difficult to interpret what they are trying to convey. Thanks again, John.

John25mm

RRRancher I was making sure because I could have been wrong also. Glad you found the correct info from a manual. I am always willing to learn and have learned a massive amount from this thread. I am glad the people here are not afraid to ask and others to help. Heck I would be broke or dead thirty times over if I had to learn from my mistakes. Again thanks for getting the correct info for one and all. Actually I would love to get at least one "p" grouser type shoe to see if they would fit an A model and how much if anything they would have to be trimmed down to get them to fit.

Last edited:

Doug713

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
RRR if you didn't live so far I'd give you a hand with that limb sweep project. I've got a nice mig welder and plasma cutter. That's how I keep my junk together LOL. I thought that maybe my tracks were changed but wasn't sure. Going to start on the clutch job this weekend. I'll give you guys an update as soon as I know something. I'll take lots of pictures cause that seems to be the best help when your trying to work on these old toys. Later Doug

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
I appreciate the offer, Doug, but I really want to make this a long term project to kill two birds with one stone. I want to not only build it to help deflect limbs and stuff, but also to get more experience on my welding. I just bought a welder and cutting torch setup less than a year ago and did the first weld of my life a few days later. I love it but have a long way to go before I can lay down a near perfect bead. I practiced a bit on scraps then fixed a broken weld on the three point hitch of my bush hog as the first real use of it. It's still holding fine, although it would not pass muster for a welding instructor, I'm sure. But this is going to be months in the future when my shop is my shop again. As soon as our house sells, we can start on the new one, and then when it is finished, I can empty all the household stuff into the house where it belongs. It won't be soon enough. That's for sure.

You are correct on the pictures. You know what they say. A picture is worth a thousand words. Good luck with it, sir. I hope it doesn't take long to get it resolved so you can start having fun.

kensmith69

IMG_5473.jpgJust found this thread and started reading.
On page 40 , lots of good info.

Just got my machine its a D21P-5

Im going to screen in my csanopy first off , lots of sticks flying around with what Im pushing.

kensmith69

The clutch linkage cable keeps sticking and I have to take out the floorboards. (About 10 bolts)
As soon as I barley touch it , it springs free?
Anyone got any ideas?
The cable/linkage is brandnew.

Doug713

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Ken, you might try some dry slide. It is a dry graphite lube. We use it on some places on the planes I work on. It's not effected by heat or cold. By the way very nice looking machine. Here's a picture of mine.20140826_153235.jpg

mitch504

If it's a D21, not a D20; powershift, not direct drive, that's an inching pedal, not a clutch pedal. It just moves a valve spool on the transmission. Komatsu recommends that you not use it for stopping, starting, and direction changes, believe it or not. They say just move the gearshift, even at full throttle.:beatsme

If it's sticking with a new cable, it's usually the valve spool.

kensmith69

Need some help/advice.

D21P-5

First job with machine today and first breakdown....................
Track fell off.

Didn't look loose to me I hope this isn't going to be a ongoing problem.

Can anyone tell me how to go about putting it back on?
Thanks................................

Attachments

• IMG_5506 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_5506 (1024x768).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 283