• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
That's a nice looking dirt pusher there, rdoiron. I sure could use a cab like that in the Texas summer heat. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

the rock

The Rock, I don't know if you are having the same problem as I was, but it is something to eliminate anyway. Go back and read my post # 1507 and subsequent posts on that thread to see what I found out. If that doesn't do the trick, let us know and we can suggest other things to try.

RRR

Hi RRR

Thanks for the advice i read the posts and they were very helpfull, I managed to get the dozer to steer on the left now but it wont steer on the right. I removed all the floor panels and i can see everything is working as it should from the outside on the linkages. Is there any way of checking the hydraulic system of the steering before i remove the top plates to look in at the brake drum assembly.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
You didn't say how you fied the left so I assume it fixed itself. The clutch faces were rusted together and broke free ??? If that was the case try working the dozer with the right stick pulled half way back. Go forward and back. Bury the blade and make the tracks work hard. Maybe the right will free up too.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
g-man has a good point here. If you got it to free up on one side, it may well be a rust problem that broke loose on one side only. I remember reading several posts in the 100+ pages of this forum that talk about this problem. It seems to be common on a dozer that has set up for a while. Let us know if you get it fixed. If not, others on here have more expertise and may well give you more things to try. Good luck with it.

chuckdw

Just wanted to give an update to my problem from above. I took the clutches out and found water had invaded the drives on both sides. Everything was rusted very badly. There was also enough dust in the drives that the clutches were running in it all the time. I suppose that is why the clutches would grab some of the time and not other times. I suppose replacing the brake bands would be a good idea too since I am already in there. Anyhow, a simple fix was not in the cards for me but, this really isn't a difficult job. It just takes a little time. I am thinking it may be a good idea to pull the plugs from the bottom occasionally to check for water and dust build up. Just thought I would share my experience in order to inform and hopefully help someone with their machine.

Hi, I have the bolts off of both sides of the clutch in my Komatsu D21P-6 . But can't seem to pull the clutch out . So whats the trick??? I need to take it out cause it won't disingauge. I think it's rusted like yours was. Thanks

John25mm

Silly possibly even stupid question. Does anyone know if you can put the 20" tracks from a D20P on a D20A? Also if it can be done do you think it would be worth it for the extra traction or would it be better to add to the grouser height or an extra grouser added to the rear of the track pad? I am asking because a, I only have about 2hrs of seat time on my D20A5 before I deployed and don't really have a lot of knowledge about what my dozer will do. and b, I am trying to plan on what I want to do to make it as useful as possible when I get back on it. I like to plan/day dream while sitting here in lovely Kuwait. I will be using it mainly in the hilly side of Ohio so sideslope issues may be an issue and old soft farm soil.

jc30

hey guys sorry to but-in but im new here trying 2 figure this forum out but i need some help thinken about buying a d20p-6 dozer and the right steering clutch needs to be adjusted how do i do this ????:beatsme

g_man

Occupation
Retired
Silly possibly even stupid question. Does anyone know if you can put the 20" tracks from a D20P on a D20A? Also if it can be done do you think it would be worth it for the extra traction or would it be better to add to the grouser height or an extra grouser added to the rear of the track pad? I am asking because a, I only have about 2hrs of seat time on my D20A5 before I deployed and don't really have a lot of knowledge about what my dozer will do. and b, I am trying to plan on what I want to do to make it as useful as possible when I get back on it. I like to plan/day dream while sitting here in lovely Kuwait. I will be using it mainly in the hilly side of Ohio so sideslope issues may be an issue and old soft farm soil.

That is an interesting question. I don't know the answer. Hopefully someone can educate us. I know putting on wider track pads will give you a lighter ground pressure so it seems like that might be less traction. But then again the grouser is longer and the pad area is larger ?? I know with my dual wheel truck I get better traction in snow if I take one wheel off. The smaller footprint is better. I think a second or taller grouser will surely give you more traction but if the track slips a little it is easier on the drive train. On side hill operation I think the narrow track might be better. I would like to sink in a little I think.
I don't know any of this stuff. I am just thinking out loud. Be safe until you can get back for more seat time.

g_man

g_man

Occupation
Retired
hey guys sorry to but-in but im new here trying 2 figure this forum out but i need some help thinken about buying a d20p-6 dozer and the right steering clutch needs to be adjusted how do i do this ????:beatsme

I don't know the d20p but would suggest that if it is an ajustment problem the present owner would have done it. Might be best to figure a clutch job into your offer.
Maybe you could describe how the machine behaves and why you think it needs adjustment. There are lots of things that can go wrong.

jc30

thanks g_man he said he put the right side in new and didnt get it adjusted right ... thats a great idea then i wouldnt have to mess with it . thanks again g_man

jillmd

New to this forum. (need permission to post photos)

I'm new to this forum & heavy equipment. Last Monday I purchased this D20A-6 dozer from a individual that used it a couple times and then put it into a conex for storage. Dozer has 2300 hrs but it clearly has a newer paint job. A lot of over spray. The sprockets are not a points and the track rollers are not concaved. Could someone break down a quick list of things to grease, fluid change (types of fluid), track adjustments, and linkage adjustments. This dozer is heading to my remote cabin this January in Alaska. It looks like I don't have permission to download a photo. How can I get permission?

John25mm

Welcome to the forum. This seems to be "the" forum to be on to get the info you want. Granted there are 115 pages of info in here pretty much anything concerning the D20/21 series is covered somewhere in here so sit back and enjoy the read. There are a few peopel here who are very knowledgeable and I have done business with one of them and had great service from him. This is not to say the others aren't as good I just haven't dealt with them and can't say. PM me and I will tell you who it is I have dealt with.
Me I would find all of the frease fittings I can and put in grease that won't have freezing problems in your winters and be good for the summer the same with oils. Again the types and amounts are covered in here somewhere towards the begining(because everyone elsee who is new to this dozer has asked the same thing myself inclueded). I tried to insert what I have but the format is wrong. I will try and change the format and get back and insert them.
The little bit of seat time I have it seems like a great dozer for what it is and you have to use it within its limitations. Enjoy and be safe.

John25mm

That is an interesting question. I don't know the answer. Hopefully someone can educate us. I know putting on wider track pads will give you a lighter ground pressure so it seems like that might be less traction. But then again the grouser is longer and the pad area is larger ?? I know with my dual wheel truck I get better traction in snow if I take one wheel off. The smaller footprint is better. I think a second or taller grouser will surely give you more traction but if the track slips a little it is easier on the drive train. On side hill operation I think the narrow track might be better. I would like to sink in a little I think.
I don't know any of this stuff. I am just thinking out loud. Be safe until you can get back for more seat time.

g_man

These are the questions I was asking myself and I was going in one of those logic loops of thinking too much about something and not seeing the forest for the trees.

As to the dual wheel getting better traction with one wheel I have found it is because it allows the tire to dig/knife down to hard ground.

On the side slope issue my thinking was the wider the track of the dozer the less it might want to roll sideways. However I am a major league chicken when it come to side slope operations and will probably never come close to putting even a normal D20A near its side slope limits. Something about not wanting to give my BILs anything to give me grief about (in a joking way). We go back and forth on these things when we have the opportunity to. I can't wait to see one of them because he managed to put a Case skid steer on its side when the dirt underneath him decided it didn't want to play nice. The picture my wife sent was the epitome of "Well crap". I haven't heard the end of the time I managed to get a large tree between the box blade and rear tire of my Kubota L5450. Let’s just say mud, gravity, side slope and the last five minutes of a task were all involved.

oldtom

Occupation
diesel equipment maintenancesuperviser
dip stick;s

on my new dozer or should i say used dozer there 3 dipsticks one is under the hood which i know is the oil stick, then there is one right underneath the seat what is this one?and what is the one underneath the brake peddle on the right.Also what specific fluid should i use on each one.
thank you for your time and have a nice day

P.S how do i tighten my tracks
well the one that you are sitting on under seat is for final drive trane one under pedal clutch housing do you not have the plate on your.s machine will oil&lube points,?

jackie606

Banned
it is a great forum,the members here are active,i like it.I know less about the komatus dozer,it is seldom in my country.

rdoiron

Occupation
Telecom project manager
Here is a short video of my new (to me) D21A-7 starting on my pond project. I'm moving a large amount of ground uphill towards the house changing the overall grading. I'm very satisfied at how sturdy and tough this small dozer is.

http://youtu.be/shNl_2Wz6dA

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
I'm new to this forum & heavy equipment. Last Monday I purchased this D20A-6 dozer from a individual that used it a couple times and then put it into a conex for storage. Dozer has 2300 hrs but it clearly has a newer paint job. A lot of over spray. The sprockets are not a points and the track rollers are not concaved. Could someone break down a quick list of things to grease, fluid change (types of fluid), track adjustments, and linkage adjustments. This dozer is heading to my remote cabin this January in Alaska. It looks like I don't have permission to download a photo. How can I get permission?

I have an D20A-6 also. You need to check for grease fittings at the ends of each cylinder and grease them until you see grease coming out around the pins. On the main lift cylinders, you will have to raise the blade up all the way to get to a couple of the fittings. Also, under the floor plate there is a universal joint that needs to be greased. And forgive me, but I can't remember if there is a grease fitting or two for the blade control levers or not. I know my tractor has one for the bucket control, but I can't remember if the dozer has one on each control or not. There may be others, but I don't know about them, if so.

As for the fluids, I don't have my owners manual with me right now, but all fluids, other than the radiator of course, are engine oil. Even the hydraulics uses engine oil. As for the spec on the oils for each component, i.e. engine, final drives, transmission, etc., there is at least one post here that shows a scan of the owners manual page, giving the spec for each component at a given temperature range. I don't have the time to find it right now, but it's there.

On the adjustments, all I have had to adjust on mine is the tracks. There is a grease fitting on each side that pumps a cylinder with grease and compresses a spring. The more you pump into it, the tighter the track gets. To loosen the track, you unscrew the grease fitting a little until grease oozes out. There is an spec in the owners manual for the correct adjustment. I'm not real particular about mine anymore as I kind of know what it looks like when adjusted properly, but you can do it by the book with a two by four and a tape measure or ruler. You drive the dozer onto level ground and push in the clutch and let it stop without braking. Then lay the two by four on top of the full length of the track and measure the droop of the track to the bottom of the two by four. If I remember correctly, its about an inch and a half droop. If the tracks are too tight, you can get excessive wear. If they are too loose, you can throw them off, and they will also pop at times when you are changing directions and/or loaded. Once you get used to the way it looks when adjusted properly, I'll bet you can adjust it without the two by four and ruler, just by looking at it.

I have never touched the linkage on mine. It has been perfect ever since I got it. And I'm the kind that believes in leaving well enough alone. If you have the time, I would suggest you read this forum from front to back, and make a list as you go of the message numbers for posts that explain how to do an adjustment, or what fluids to use, etc. Then you will have a good reference for the future. There are lots of very helpful posts here by folks who know a lot more about these great Japanese machines than I do. It's a wonderful little dozer, and it amazes me at what it can do with just 40 horsepower. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Forgot to mention...you get permission to post pictures after submitting so many posts, five I think. I think it will change your status to Junior Member when you get to that point.

Last edited:

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Here is a short video of my new (to me) D21A-7 starting on my pond project. I'm moving a large amount of ground uphill towards the house changing the overall grading. I'm very satisfied at how sturdy and tough this small dozer is.

http://youtu.be/shNl_2Wz6dA

Nice video there, rdoiron. You look like you are having a good time. I looked at some of your other videos also. You have some nice toys to play with there.

jillmd

Thanks for getting back to me! I would like to post a picture of the Dozer but the forum says that I do not have permisison. How do I get permission?