• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Frank Dozer

Northern Tool sells horizontal rams that I think could work, all different tons and lenghts. Because I don't know, why does the idler need to move with the load? What would happen if the idler was fixed with no spring? The first dozers didn't have springs.

FurakawaMatt

Northern Tool sells horizontal rams that I think could work, all different tons and lenghts. Because I don't know, why does the idler need to move with the load? What would happen if the idler was fixed with no spring? The first dozers didn't have springs.
Could work, but I think it would be better if the unit was set to work like it was designed with just something else in place for taking up the slack. There should be some room on the push out rod for cut out and insertion. I have never tried doing this so it is just total brain storming. If you get it to work I am sure others will be interested in your method.

Frank Dozer

Since my track adjuster assembly is all rusted and corroded up on my Komatsu D21A-5, does anyone have a picture of their assembly hopefully not rusted and corroded like mine........Thanks,
Frank

Iron@Dirt

Replaced track adjuster on my JD 350 dozer a couple of years ago with after market. It was fabricated flat bar and a tube welded on. A machine shop could make something to work or give you ideas to build it your self, would probably cost more than a bottle jack but might function better. Pictures might help with ideas for a remedy.

Frank Dozer

FurakawaMatt, The D31 track adjusters are the same configuration as the D21 except larger and thanks for the thread. It has lots of valuable info in it.
Iron@Dirt, Is there a picture you can post so as to go with your discription of what you did? Did you keep the springs? And how do you adjust the tracks? The machine shops near me have no ideas but can make anything I can describe or show to them. Thanks, Frank

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, On my Komatsu D21A-5, I have looked everywhere for the track adjuster cylinders and found nothing. Since my cylinders leak, I either sell the machine for parts or find an inovative way to fix it.

Why are you condemning your track adjuster cylinders? Maybe I have simply missed it, but I haven't read what the problem is with the cylinders that requires them being replaced?

Frank Dozer

willie59, My track adjuster cylinders and track adjuster frames, both sides, are rusted and corroded beyond use, one spring is broke. It's like only they were in salt water and not the rest of the machine. They are beyond rebuild or repair. It's only the track adjuster assembly that is rusted and corroded. The remainder of the dozer is in unbelievable shape for a 1985. It operates, starts and looks fantastic, that's why I'd rather fix the machine than sell or scrap it. Only 1800 hours. Thanks, Frank

troy26

i got a d21 a -5 and need some info.. so the power shif deal.. is it just reverse and foward? or is there any other ranges.. also. were can i get parts, i need a head gasket , head bolts valve cover gasket and exaust gasket,,, seems its got a crack in the head on the 3rd clyender

Frank Dozer

I call Kent several times in the past few weeks. At this time, all he has is the springs. Nothing else.............Thanks, Frank

dblaneyfan

troy 26,

Brandeis is your local Komatsu dealer, might want to check with them. I have dealt with Tractor & Equipment Co. a good bit, mainly the Savannah branch, and they are good people to deal with.

dblaneyfan

willie59, My track adjuster cylinders and track adjuster frames, both sides, are rusted and corroded beyond use, one spring is broke. It's like only they were in salt water and not the rest of the machine. They are beyond rebuild or repair. It's only the track adjuster assembly that is rusted and corroded. The remainder of the dozer is in unbelievable shape for a 1985. It operates, starts and looks fantastic, that's why I'd rather fix the machine than sell or scrap it. Only 1800 hours. Thanks, Frank

Try contacting Southern Tractor Service and Salvage, based out of Davenport, FL.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
I havs a Dresser TD7 G. It has a solenoid operated ether injector. I am looking for some instruction on what type of ether cylinder is required and where I might get one if it is special. It looks like there is a bail type arrangement to hold the cylinder up into the solenoid but it is not at all obvious to me how it opens or what type of canister is needed. It must be some kind of plug in there now but not sure of that either. There is no info in my manuals so if you can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Frank Dozer

I decided to either fix the 1985 Komatsu D21A-5 or scrap it. So I pressure cleaned the track adjusters on both sides. They were in much better condition than I first realized. All the mud made them look really bad. I got my 24" long 1/2" breaker bar and 19mm deep socket. With lots of pressure, both grease fittings for the track adjusters came loose. I installed new grease fittings, put the grease gun on and now both sides take in grease and when loosened, release grease. Checked all the fluids, drove it around the yard and now it runs perfect. I also purchased and installed a 24 volt battery tender for the winter. I'll post pictures later. The machine runs great with no leaks. It has the factory canopy top so I think I'm going to get a ROPS top. Where can I get a ROPS for it? Also, is there a way I can install a 3 point hitch? Thanks, Frank

Frank Dozer

Now that my Dozer works good, I'm thinking of ways to use it. Has anyone thought of adding a bucket to their dozer blade to move dirt rather than push dirt. I like the 4 in 1 buck but I don't have the hydraulics for it. I do have plenty of 1/4" plate steel and 2x2x1/4 angle iron. Any ideas?.....Thanks, Frank

Frank Dozer

Well, just when I thought my 1985 Komatsu D21A-5 with shuttle shift trany, 2 speeds forward & 2 speeds reverse, was working good, another problem arises. All the fluids are of the correct SAE and of the correct amount. When pushing dirt forward, the dozer will stop in the dirt and the tracks will stop turning. When not pushing and just driving forward, it drives fine. In reverse, to get into my storage garage there is an 8" tall curb to drive up to the garage concrete pad, it won't make it up, is stops and makes a sound like a spinning clutch in the rear end. If I turn around and try it in forward it goes up the curb no problem. The dozer turns left and right as it is supposed to. Does anyone have any ideas with what's not correct? Thanks, Frank

g_man

Occupation
Retired
Assuming your D21A is set up like most small dozers take the floor boards out so you can see the drive shaft between the T-converter and the Transmission. When the tracks stop if the drive shaft is still turning then you have a problem in the tranny where the gears and clutches are. If the drive shaft stops also the problem is probably in the converter.

From your description it sounds like your forward and reverse clutches may be slipping. Reverse being worse. If you have a manual there may be a test procedure and/or adjustment procedure and there may be a removable access plate for clutch inspection.