• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scraper blades

56wrench

Also, just look at my previous post of the picture of the edges on my old Issacson. Edges have the most strength when the bottom row of holes is used. In the stinger configuration, the centre edge sacrifices strength because it will most likely break through the holes. In impact conditions( stones and rocky), the centre edge should be moved up to the lower set of holes for maximum strength and will also help to prevent bending the frog underneath. I agree that your edges seem to be made differently than most conventional edges

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I think there made the same they’re just upside down. Well maybe lol. But as I said before I don’t think the bolts will go in from the other side. I’ll definitely check it out shortly thanks to all for the info

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
upload_2021-10-29_13-20-15.jpeg upload_2021-10-29_13-20-38.jpeg upload_2021-10-29_13-20-55.jpeg upload_2021-10-29_13-20-38.jpeg As strange as it may seem that’s just the way mine is made. It looks like the classic case of tomato tomaatto to me. This is a pic of the other one. Same way and I can’t see much if any difference if it was flipped around. The way mine sits to the ground looks more natural to me idk. Plus like I said. The bolts will only go in from one side. It has a countersunk hole and definitely cannot be installed upside down. Also after closer inspection mine isn’t welded along the top it was just dirt I was seeing. Both pans are the same and neither one has a broken cutting edge it must be working. I’m not touching it till one breaks lol. Thanks again for looking. upload_2021-10-29_13-20-15.jpegupload_2021-10-29_13-20-38.jpegupload_2021-10-29_13-20-55.jpeg

Reactions: DB2

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Question though this pan isn’t as wide as tires on tractor. I can’t see the bottom when using it. Any tips on knowing when it starts to make contact with the ground other than seeing dirt in the bowl? Even then u wouldn’t know right away. I guess eventually get the feel of it but I was just wanting to know for being smooth and not gouging the ground. It’s a 9180 400hp Steiger it don’t feel like much behind it.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
A bit further investigation would suggest your cutting-edges are for a wheel loader which bolt on underneath the bucket. ;)

Last edited:

56wrench

Well, i thought of that too but the ones i changed on wheel loaders and excavators had the edges bolted to the bottom of the buckets with the bevel to the top and the bolt heads on the top of the bucket with the countersunk holes on the bottom of the edge otherwise you would wear off the bolt heads if they were underneath

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Yeah that makes sense. I’m gonna clean them up and see maybe of there’s a part number stamped in them anywhere. If there is or was it’s probably worn or on the underside lol

Delmer

The underside of those holes is flush? not the same countersunk hole as the top?

Mike85

That pic shows they can’t take a plow bolt the other way. What make are the pans. Maybe the mfr just built them like that. I don’t think I’d worry about orientation they’re on and tight just use em. Nothing moves dirt like a scraper in the right conditions

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Exactly what I said they been working all along. No issues whatsoever that I know about. I’ll use em till I can’t lol. They’re Prime Manufacturing pans. They’re no longer in business upload_2021-10-29_17-24-55.jpeg

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
And I got a chance to play with it a little bit. I can see how to line up the top of the bowl with the wheel bracket and other places I can kinda tell where I’m at with the blades. Plus u can tell when they start digging even a little bit really. I’ve got a good bit of dirt to move it’ll be a fun experience

56wrench

Referring to my last post about the loader buckets, i should have said bolt heads on the bottom and the nuts on top of the bucket. oops:D:D i guess i'm losing it, just like my wife always reminds me

nicky 68a

I’ve never seen cutting edges like yours on any towed scraper or motor scraper.They appear to have been fitted wrong.Perhaps that’s how things are done.I don’t like them.
Over the years,I’ve bought various cutting edges for my towed and motorised scrapers,and I do like having the center edges dropped.They are considerably more profitable to me that way.
On another note,I’ve tried various brands of edges too.Some are really quite thick,yet I prefere the slimmer genuine Cat edges on my bowels.They seem to stay sharper and load easier.It could be my imagination,but it puts beer in my glass.
These days,I only buy Cat edges for scraper bowls.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Sorry you don’t like them I’m just gonna run them they seem to have been working properly as they are. I don’t think the blades realize they’re on upside down lol