• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scraper blades

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
We recently bought a couple used 14 yrd pans. We’re finally getting around to using one of them. Question on the cutting edges that load the pan. Both of these pans have 3 bolt on blades and the one in the middle sticks down about 3” further than the 2 outside blades. They look original like they’ve not been replaced. Is that normal? I don’t see being able to get a smooth grade with it like that. I’m new to pans so I really don’t know lol. Thanks

Bootheal

Someone else will give you a more real answer than I. My baby scraper has a similar configuration. I think the extended blade in the middle is to pull the cutting edge into the dirt. Somewhere, someone referred to it as a frost blade. On my little 5 yd. scraper, I don’t think it will dig in frozen ground.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Having the centre section lower is normal and makes it easier to pull when loading. Some change the centre section to straight across for final trim but usually elevator scrapers loading windrows.

Vetech63

Yes its normal. Think of it as a plow.....that one will penetrate and help spread dirt to the others on the outside to gather.

Bluox

We recently bought a couple used 14 yrd pans. We’re finally getting around to using one of them. Question on the cutting edges that load the pan. Both of these pans have 3 bolt on blades and the one in the middle sticks down about 3” further than the 2 outside blades. They look original like they’ve not been replaced. Is that normal? I don’t see being able to get a smooth grade with it like that. I’m new to pans so I really don’t know lol. Thanks
If the center bit has 2 rows of bolt holes that usually means it can be used as a stinger bit or a straight bit.
Bob

56wrench

20211026_140254.jpg this is the cutting-edge set-up on the old Issacson KS1200 i'm currently converting to hydraulic

56wrench

Yup, the previous owner spared no expense when it came to the edges. Makes it a little more versatile when you need to use it in a variety of conditions but a bit of a pita to change back and forth

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Tenfo I can imagine those plow bolts aren’t gonna come loose easily. I still haven’t looked at ours I bet it’s the same way.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
0A1F9F8B-EC68-428C-AE31-03EA167B2F9A.jpeg I’ll have to clean the dirt of but I’m sure they’re not welded. I’ve let it down now but here’s a pic from the side they’re facing correctly

56wrench

If they are not welded, why are there no bolts in the holes? If they are good through-hardened edges, most often they will break loose beside the weld bead area because of the heat treating especially if used in stones or other impact conditions. If they are cheaper carbon-steel, not so much. The correct bolts are called 'dome head scraper bolts' and are usually available in a couple of tensile ratings. Sometimes if the frog is worn out guys will try to weld them on but the correct way is to repair the frog first and then bolt them on

Reactions: DB2

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I guess they could be welded I haven’t looked I just took it for granted they would be bolted on but now I’m going to check for sure. I just figured they had more bolt holes in them and the one showing were so you could position in different places but you may be right