• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Saunders Hauling

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
A few more.

Some equipment from the logging crew, looks like a D-7 with a share on the C frame.

Hank R

Occupation
Here is truck K-36 when it was almost new.

K-37 when it was a working truck back in the day. This truck is restored like new and will be in the truck show at Duncan this weekend, July 12 and 13.

Hank R

Occupation
HDX Hayes K 47 with a good sized load.

I am sure they found a soft spot on a road and it was a muddy mess every where.

lowbed driver

They were in Kitimat. Nice shop only a few minutes walk from where I am typing this. The pics in post #32 are not of Kitimat shop. The kitimat shop is right up against a mountain that is not in the photo. I also know roughly where their Kemano shop would have been and same thing, mountains all around. Might be that they had a small maintenance shop on the Tahtsa lake end which would explain the interior size tree in the back ground.
Really enjoy this thread.
Cheers L.D.

Hank R

Occupation
lowbed driver, thanks for the help learn something every day here on the forum.

Hank R

lowbed driver

No problem. Help as much as I can. Love this thread since it deals with some stuff right in my back yard.
If you have google earth, go on it and look at Kitimat. As you zoom in picture icons start to show up. North of town you will come across one that is named Weedeene 1977 or similar. It shows one of Saunders trucks right after it crossed the Little Weedene River Bridge. Do not know if you are allowed to use the pic and post it on this sight but worth a look.

Hank R

Occupation
Thanks for the help, will have to look into it a bit more. Off to Vancouver for a couple of days so will check it out Thursday. I would think there should be lots of Saunders Hauling pictures out there as they had a lot of trucks in the last 40 or so years.

Hank R

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Looks like Kemano pic, remember my friend Mike Paisley telling me that they (Saunders) had a tuff time getting tires, had mostly bias ply and the porcupines were plentiful up there and that the quills would work through the bias tires and have a flat. When they got the Michelin radials on the steers the quills couldn't get through the steel belts, so everyone would aim for the porcupine and nail him with the fronts to save the rears. He had a couple photo albums of the Kemano haul and when they went from Hayes to Kenworth, he drove the K54 truck that was rigged with hydraulics for pulling the lowbed. hope you have more Hank, great stuff.

Hank R

Occupation
Lowbed driver send me 14 more pictures just scanned to my computer will post after Gran kids leave me some time.