• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
You still running yarder for them?
I need a yarder engineer and a couple contract log trucks for the Grays Harbor area.

TorkelH

Hey Skadill, the chrome painted rims machine has 3 rear axles. It is probably one of the first produced 052 yarders, mtd on a six axle 068 carrier, and it for sure looks huge compared to a 009. If you search for Madill 052 you'll find more pictures of what's probably the same machine from the sales brochure. I also photographed an 052 in Forks some years ago and I think that is the same machine as well, though chrome paint long gone.

Born2clearcut

Kohler has a remote control yarder that is operated from the processor.
Just my opinion..
One guy running two machines is just wrong on a lot of different levels. Safety would be number one for the crew and machines ( need the fear factor in the cab) Also can't be very productive if you got to split your time up too pay attention to one machine or another. One sidehill I would shy away from. But interesting I must say.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
A guy was using the Kohler remote control carriage in the UK, he was basically sending it off down the hill then carrying on processing next to yarder. The choker man had control down the hill, and sent it back up when ready. Radio controlled chokers of course.

Glenlivet

Madill box photos.Anyone know if the Williams name is 'Viv Williams' ? that ran out of fraser canyon and furry creek on the sea to sky corridor decades ago?View attachment 179989 View attachment 179990
That sure looks like Viv Williams' logo. Of Spuzzum and South Bentinck fame.
One story I heard from a longtime employee was that after he retired and sold his outfit, Viv travelled the world and one time he sent a photo of a baseball team he'd sponsored in China. All the beaming Chinese ball players had Williams Logging caps on. Just like the logo that 071 has. :)

Welder Dave

I was in Sidney for a few days and we drove by Nicholson Manufacturing several times. There were 2 big Madill machines sitting behind the shop that were maybe getting refurbished? The paint looked new. I think they were crawler yarders but kind of neat to see.

Last edited:
Hey guys just wondering if anyone could give me some info on an 044 with serial number 47008? Some history on it and what year it was built etc would be great. Thanks

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Hey guys just wondering if anyone could give me some info on an 044 with serial number 47008? Some history on it and what year it was built etc would be great. Thanks
1969 Talbot Logging Radonda Bay I have the Madill build list, not sure if this co bought it new. Is it still alive?

Reactions: 075