• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

skadill

071Madill

On display at the Truck Loggers Convention at the Westin Bayshore,date unknown

Attachments

• img322.jpg
    img322.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 853

skadill

Yarders

headed for south america.date unknown-Madill collection pics

Attachments

• img324.jpg
    img324.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 620
  • img325.jpg
    img325.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 624

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
i remember these. They were a ball to drive. We nicknamed them the jackrabbit because they went like a scared rabbit. They were on bren gun carriers with I think 5 forward gears and in top gear went like stink. I went around the corner of the shop flat out on the wet cement one day went into a slide and almost hit the wall. Oh to be young and foolish again. 1977 I think. That's my departed buddy Dave in the first picture. Pretty sure that was taken when I was in Yeman setting up the balloon show. They went to the Amazon to a pulp plantation. They built the pulp mill in Japan on barges and towed them across the world and up the Amazon. We also built one on a RT skidder for the same project. As I recall they were 4 drum each driven with a hyd motor. Supposedly they were all 4 main lines as they wanted maximum employment so pulled the line out by hand. Brings back great memories. d.d. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jari_projecthttp://www.cof.orst.edu/cof/teach/fe456/Class_Materials/Speaker Presentation PDFs/FE456_5.09.14.pdf

Last edited:

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
img018.jpgimg019.jpgimg020.jpgimg021.jpgimg022.jpg
Interesting link there dd, do you have any history on the Yemen ballon show?
Here's most of the info I have. The pics on the blue brochure are not from our project but are from either US military or US coast guard testing of the feasability of balloon use. Our balloon never flew any cargo only several test flights with big timber pads that were to be used as dead men for guyline anchors there being no stumps on the beach on the edge of the desert. Our balloon was destroyed on the beach in Dec 1977 and we all came home to wait on a new balloon acquisition. Neve got one . In the end everything was written off as a tax loss and we never went back d.d.

Shoepeg

donkey doctor,

I remember you speaking of this project in the past, after looking at the cost of this project and the end results, you think a fly on the wall would have been safe, when the money man got the word.

Sigurd

Thanks a lot d.d. very interesting story, too bad it didnt work out. Must have been great being part of it. Reminds me of my longhaul truckdriver trip from Norway to Persian gulf in 1972 with ships spare parts for the tankers there due to Suez trouble. Great trip specially thru the deserts and mountains with snow...

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Thanks a lot d.d. very interesting story, too bad it didnt work out. Must have been great being part of it. Reminds me of my longhaul truckdriver trip from Norway to Persian gulf in 1972 with ships spare parts for the tankers there due to Suez trouble. Great trip specially thru the deserts and mountains with snow...
Adventures like that stick with you for life don't they. I was lucky enough to have two of them with Madill. Yeman in 1977 and Borneo in 1980.d.d.

skadill

skidder yarder

Thanks donkey doctor for the background info,really brings a photo to life,with a better understanding of who,when,where,and why.Here's the other unit you mentioned-good memory!!

Attachments

• img326.jpg
    img326.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 530

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
i recognize Dave Ns beannie on his head and in the lower right corner of that photo im pretty sure that is you donkeydoc....!
That could be me but I have no memory of the picture being taken. I would guess some wood was being yarded and if so I was probably setting chokers. Didn't we do some interesting things back in the day. Remember the day you spent sleeping up under the engine on an 044. Ted kept looking for you and we kept telling him he just missed you. You were at the steel rack or the stockroom or the washroom. Good times buddy. d.d.

skadill

Inside the Madill Shop

Starting from the bottom,if it can't get there' it can't yard there.

Attachments

• img338.jpg
    img338.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,140