• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I had an interesting day riding my motorcycle out in the Cowichan Valley. On highway 18, just east of the turn-off to Youbou, I spotted a Madill grapple yarder working right off the highway - a sight I have not personally seen in 32 years since my days in the woods ended at M & B Sproat Lake Division. Well I just had to pull over and give this a gander. It was a Madill 124 - Y-011 was the marking on it. They were yarding p!ss poles and the operator was taking great care not to bust every log that he grabbed - he would gingerly drag the grapple over the log and go ahead slow to prevent snapping what they now call logs and bring it to the landing. In the old days on the old 044 I worked on we would have probably purposely have smashed this size of timber to prevent the need to waste the fuel to drag it to the landing. How times have changed. It was even a tag line machine - much the same as the old Y-35 that I worked on previously. It was a beautiful spring day and I could see the hooker up in the back end. It sure brought back memmories.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Could this be the same 046 machine as in posts 1965,1966,1967 and 1968. These were taken at Duke Pt after this machine had been in Nanaimo shop to be tiddled up and changed from a tracked carrier to a rubber carrier and had been reassembled ready for the barge. Don't remember the year probably in the 80s. I know it was an Interfor machine but don't remember the division. I do remember being told I had more horseshoes up my butt than I deserved getting away with raising the tower that high with no raising guys out and not tipping it over. Young and foolish I guess. d.d.

Attachments

• image-14.jpg
    image-14.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 887
  • image-20.jpg
    image-20.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 888
  • image-21.jpg
    image-21.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 887
  • image-22.jpg
    image-22.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 898
  • image-23.jpg
    image-23.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:

Back choker

image.jpgpicture of the 046 from Vernon camp.the pipe on the yellow one is off this machine.be nice if someone had pictures of that machine in her hey day.holbrook dyson machine I've been told.

Back choker

image.jpgtyson creek hydro penstock.046 putting pipe on the hill,biggest pick was 45000lbs skyline was out 2500ft .did it no problem,very impressive machine.

BTC

My first job in the woods was setting chokers on that 046 at Vernon Camp in the summer of 1995 in Sheena Pass. I will ask Doug Dyson if he has any pictures of her working I'm having breakfast with him this am.

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
the only 122 to come stock with a cat

1531731_10202744958558066_656027416_n.jpg

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
OUCH! how did that happen, and what caused the 2 holes in the windshield?