• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

LOGDODGER

Guess that is the same as on the first 123 brochure cover https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g3r922gt45zxzv7/ySUZsWeNSO (this is the later brochure where Whitaker's darl blue or black machine only is on the last page. We have discussed that machine earlier but I'm not sure if it is a 122 or a 123. I don't think it is 12301 since that went new to Hafer Logging in Oregon in 1989 and was painted light blue and also had some grapple yarder art on the back.

This is a 122, 123s had a self spreading gantry!!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Retired hooktender Rusty Burrows lent me this picture of a Madill steel tower with a loading boom built on the front of it ,that he hooked on for CZ contractor Bert Brown , at Nitinat . Rusty mentioned , Bert Brown sold the tower ,and that the new owner moved the tower to a mainland Inlet where it was hit by a rock slide .scan515.jpg

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
camptramp, that sounds a lot like the one Andy Byrne/Granet lake logging had, they removed the loader part off the yarder when they got it and had it working up in third lake (Powell River). They were yarding down hill when a huge rock shock loose and rolled down at the yarder, a long whistle was blown and the engineer and landing man just got in the clear when it smashed the machine, then continued down hill and took out part of the road below. I remember looking at the yarder when it was in the yard, only the peddles were left from the cab, the engine was flattened, main shafts broken, but the pipe was not hit, was the only good piece left.
Andy said he still has parts of the old loader boom sitting in the bush behind the shop, the rest are memories.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Small world - If you had taken the pictures a day later I would have been in the pic as I spent the day working on that Madill

What you're saying is you wish you were there the day I was so you would have beat the nasty weather we've had the last couple of days. Wish I could have got a lot closer tothe machines to get some better pics. Those were taken from up by the trailer reload. Which machine were you working on and what were you doing to it. d.d.

Last edited:

big ben

What you're saying is you wish you were there the day I was so you would have beat the nasty weather we've had the last couple of days. Wish I could have got a lot closer tothe machines to get some better pics. Those were taken from up by the trailer reload. Which machine were you working on and what were you doing to it. d.d.

The new tracks groups rolled up in the first 3 pictures are now the new feet for that Madill 3800B. Yes it was a fun day of 9 hrs of rain/snow/sleet all while removing and installing tracks - a least it was on pavement.

donkeydoc

Looks great Gareth. Machine has change a lot since I first seen it.

looks great. we are in the process of a major rebuild of 12244. Electronic N14, gear train, under carriage, travel circuit coolers and a tilting cab. does the cab tilt in your 123?? I know 12304 has a tilting cab from Madill as a factory install. Any ideas?

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
82064-1[1].jpg82064-2[1].jpg82064-3[1].jpg82064-4[1] (2).jpg82064-5[1].jpgSaw this GY for sale a few years back, I think it was in the Supply Post no idea who owned it or where it was.. Some one sure did a nice job on her

prolog nz

looks great. we are in the process of a major rebuild of 12244. Electronic N14, gear train, under carriage, travel circuit coolers and a tilting cab. does the cab tilt in your 123?? I know 12304 has a tilting cab from Madill as a factory install. Any ideas?

No tilting cab on this one. We extended the cab back by 1 foot to give a bit more room for now, however a tilting cab and air system upgrade are planned for later in the year. I know of a couple of 123s with full tilting cabs but I am unsure if they are factory Madill?

I believe that 122 is now in NZ maybe down the east coast?. I think Ian at North Island Equipment NZ had something to do with that build and air system.
Its a nice change from the factory setup:beatsme

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator

Madill did a couple of different styles of cab tilt on 123's. I'll dig up the photos when I get back home and post them. One style had the cab guard hooked up to the cab and tipped the cab and guard over with a hydraulic cylinder. Another had the cab guard mounted on the boom with the full size cab on a platform that was hinged at the front about 2 1/2 feet below the cab. This style looked quite nice. Seems to me the further the cab guard is from the cab the safer the operator is.

I'm pretty sure I saw 12244 being moved from the barge terminal at Duncan Bay. It looked like a real hassle trying to get it to road legal height with all the cab gear left behind after the cab was removed. Sounds like a good idea to tilt the cab.

If you want to contact an ex-Madill person who would be the authority on Madill tilting cabs give Ed Hughes at T-Mar a call. He has just changed up a skinny cabbed 123 tilter to a regular cabbed tilter.

By the way, would you be kind enough to post some progress pictures of the work on 12244? That N14 sounds like it would be a nice addition. Best wishes with the rebuild.