• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

TorkelH

Larry Forrester asked me to post this picture on here for all to see...Was taken in Nanaimo while these ten Yarders were being loaded for Alaska.. There is the cab for one of them sitting beside the pick up trucks on the left Do not know why the tower is missing from one of them. Time frame was between Dec 1972 and March 1973View attachment 238281
Steve, I find 12 009's sold to Alaska in the time frame you mention. One was delivered w/o spar and has a remark "Skookum spar and A-frame". I have pictures of some of the machines that might have been on the barge, including the mentioned, #48130:

Attachments

• CD7E4184-EFEE-4A54-9AEE-04CF2491EEB6.jpeg
    CD7E4184-EFEE-4A54-9AEE-04CF2491EEB6.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 6A7B9CFD-4B55-4014-A8E4-F00EEECFFAAD.jpeg
    6A7B9CFD-4B55-4014-A8E4-F00EEECFFAAD.jpeg
    570.2 KB · Views: 82

skyking1

There is a little Madill tower on a military track unit by 101 at Discovery bay. i will try to get a picture next time I get by it. track is broken and looks like a repaired final going on.

1931 kenworth

Steve, I find 12 009's sold to Alaska in the time frame you mention. One was delivered w/o spar and has a remark "Skookum spar and A-frame". I have pictures of some of the machines that might have been on the barge, including the mentioned, #48130:
I think I have a list of who bought every spar on that barge will have a look if u want

Plebeian

Kuru Contracting 172B - spec sheet had Detroit tier 3 powered, Being on the East Coast of NZ with a prevailing westerly wind, the diesel exhaust particles might have dispersed by the time they reach southern Chile.

IMG_1257.JPG IMG_1254.JPG

Welder Dave

The address on the plate is the same as Nicholson's. Maybe they made Madill a stand alone division? When you click on the "see more" on the Madill website, it directs you to Nicholson's website. My sister lives 10 minutes away from Nicholson and we drove by there all the time when I visited her. There were a couple big Madill machines there the 1 time I went to visit a few years ago.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Let's hope!
Russ Smith @ Modern Machinery said Nicholson fired all Madill employees & terminated Madill lines.

Tim Petrie

I have nearly everything in terms of brochures and Sales Literature from most of the manufacturers (diesel, not steam). Washington Iron Works of course got thier start with steam, way way back, and I am leaving the steam gear to the steam experts. What I collect is diesel.

I also have a bunch of Madill sales/promotional videos for the 044, 071, 009, 046 yarders and 075 line loder which I had put nicely together on a DVD by a production and film company. Turned out great!

My plan is to put all of the PDF color sales literature from each manufacturer on a CD for each- Madill, Skagit, etc. I'll sell them when finished for a reasonable price- $ 10.00 each or something. The scanning, etc is taking a crazy amount of time!

We have also looked at having a website hosted with all this on it (pictures, brochures, everything) and that could still happen someday.
Those would get alot of views on YouTube

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Nice photo, but it shows the most uncivilized thing about logging today; lights. I can still remember when nothing happened before some semblance of daylight. I know lights are more efficient and productive, but getting loaded at 3AM to my old mind is just too uncivilized.