• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was returning from a job in Aberdeen driving through the Black Hills heading towards Olympia at around 1:00 AM when I saw the lights of what looked like a tower show above Summit Lake. All I could think of was who sets chokers or runs a shovel logger at that time of night.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I was returning from a job in Aberdeen driving through the Black Hills heading towards Olympia at around 1:00 AM when I saw the lights of what looked like a tower show above Summit Lake. All I could think of was who sets chokers or runs a shovel logger at that time of night.
That would be me. I am often found logging at midnight or later.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
That there is a 144, 88025 is the serial last one built 1993... The 7280 is an oldie A model I believe 7220 converted

Chopper95

Rough specs on a 144 vs a 044?

**EDIT***

Quick thread search: 144 weighs in around 245000 90ft boom with a KTA 19 vs a 124 at 125000 60ft boom - correct?

Used to work on a 124 crew and thought that thing was a beast. Cannot imagine a 144 even compared to the one 044 I've seen in person.

What a tank!

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Seems like they both went for a pretty good deal. It must take a lot of training to run a harder. How much would a machine that size have to be taken apart for transporting?

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Seems like they both went for a pretty good deal. It must take a lot of training to run a harder. How much would a machine that size have to be taken apart for transporting?
Generally on a logging road they would move complete. On highway we would remove the boom ,gantry and cab, lift the machinery deck off the undercarriage and use 2 lowbeds and a flatdeck to motor down the road. If there were weight restrictions the lines might be removed also. Lost count of how many I prepped to ship and reassembled on site. We even did service calls to go to customer site to break them down and reassemble as we had all the gear (slings etc etc). If cranes were on site ready to go we could break one down and have it reassembled in a long day depending on how long the actual move took. d.d.

Last edited:

Chopper95

$94,000 CAD + 12.5% = $105,750 CAD ($83,350 USD) bought the Madill and the Cypress went for $13,500 CAD

The Madill was for sale a few years ago by Great West and they had it listed around $400k / $440k - something like that. Somebody got a decent deal if they have an actual need for the machine and can move it. Would make a decent gravel dredge I reckon, lots of life left by the looks.

I think the Cypress is a sadder case, probably will see the torch. Steel scrap in Vancouver is 29 cents a pound (no clue what that machine weighs), call it 150,000 x 0.29 = $43,500. Anyone can do the math on that situation...

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Wheeler Equipment in Delta ,BC would have good info on that, they build that stuff. They are the Washington Iron Works owners and builders, They have done hydraulic retrofits on yarders
I speak with Stuey & Stu nearly daily.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
How'd ya like our 737 video?

Wheeler Equipment in Delta ,BC would have good info on that, they build that stuff. They are the Washington Iron Works owners and builders, They have done hydraulic retrofits on yarders

Plebeian

737 Highlead video is cool. The terrain looks more like Canada than the USA.

How would the Canadians log that area, with a Swing yarder with a mechanical grapple?

What level of yarder rebuilds does Modern Machinery do?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
737 Highlead video is cool. The terrain looks more like Canada than the USA.

How would the Canadians log that area, with a Swing yarder with a mechanical grapple?

What level of yarder rebuilds does Modern Machinery do?
Unfortunately modern is not taking on any yarder rebuilds anymore. They are down one of their head guys Bob Nicholson, he retired.