• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Roll off trucks

woodee955

I am thinking about buying a truck and trying to get into the business. Nothing very big, I don't plan on this being my only source of income. The company I work for is bidding on a housing demo job and I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to get something going. I know a couple guys on here have roll offs and with all the other knowledgeable people ya'll might have some helpful info. Thanks.

Matt

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I don't know how small you want to go ?

You can find used tandem axle rolloff trucks fairly easy with conventional rails but getting into something smaller its tougher to find. The money really is in the big bins or a 5 ton truck with 20 yard bins. I looked into a smaller truck like a F-550 sized truck they are a little too small.

What else do you do for work ?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have a side business with a partner and we have 2 hook-lift trucks and around 45 small cans, 10CY and 15CY. Our trucks are swaploader 12k lb hooklifts with one mounted on a Hino and one on a Ford F650. Both our trucks are under CDL 25,999 GVW. So far we have done fairly well since neither one of us is in the day to day operations- driving, etc.

The business is pretty good for the smaller cans. We decided not to go after the 20CY -30CY business since the "big boys" make it tough. Our customers are mainly homeowners and small contractors that can't get service from the big guys. The good thing about the homeowner business is that it is cash up front before the can is dropped. We can even take a credit card over the phone when they place an order. You can also get alot more $$$ from the homeowner business.

The biggest $$$ problems are what you face in any construction business - fuel/operating expenses and finding good labor.

check out our website www.canddlimited.net

Hope this helps. Cheers:drinkup

Wolf

Tipping

Matt:

What are the tipping fees like for C&D debris where you are. What kind of debris is coming out of the house? Can any of it be recycled for profit, or is it all getting trashed?

jazak

Nac just bought one...you may want tp talk to him....my buddy who's a landscaper is purchasing a peterbilt 335 hooklift...he wants it because he can have multiple bodies at different job sites.....great investment if you ask me...much better then just adump or flatbed truck......

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Do you need a lisence were you are located? In NJ you need a lisence from the DEP it is about 100 pages long lots of fees and takes over a year to get. It is a good buisness but you need a lot of capital trucks cost a lot of money and cans cost a lot of money. You need to provide good service and you will get work it mihgt be tuff at first. Around here you can not find a used roll off if you do it is very expensive or a piece of junk.

20dub

Do you need a lisence were you are located? In NJ you need a lisence from the DEP it is about 100 pages long lots of fees and takes over a year to get. It is a good buisness but you need a lot of capital trucks cost a lot of money and cans cost a lot of money. You need to provide good service and you will get work it mihgt be tuff at first. Around here you can not find a used roll off if you do it is very expensive or a piece of junk.

well said nac,hey i seen your roll off on 287 about a week ago..very nice...

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Oh where did you see me? Thanks

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
I have a tip, try and stay away from contractors like builders. They don't like to pay. My cousin does residential work (tearing down houses, water, sewer connections etc.) and he is always saying how bad they pay. Theyll promise you a check one day and you wotn get it for 2 weeks.

woodee955

Thanks for all the info. Sorry it took so long to reply, computer took a dive. All the suggestions have been helpful, good things to think about. Ford, I work for an environmental/construction company. Capt_met, I looked into those also but for the amount of houses and time frame to get them down I need fullsize containers to be competitive. CM1995, nice web site, looks like you have quite a good business going. Wolf, we will be recycling everything we can and trying to find something to do with the cabinets and appl. Tipping fees are between 10 and 15 a ton. Nac, the only license you need is to be able to haul asbestos and that is all being removed prior to demo. I know what you mean about trucks. For what I'm trying to do I don't want to make a huge investment in a truck and some of them in my range are pretty trashed. You got a real nice setup, all your trucks and equipment look good. mflah87, thanks for the tip, I was thinking about hitting up some of the builders in the area. I know a few real well so hopefully they would be good customers. Thanks again for all the idea's

Matt

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Where I live wood waste if its clean its 100 dollars a ton but if its mixed with old insulation or other debris its 250 dollars a ton.

If you the homeowner or the contractor doesn't load the bin properly ie a mixed load the bin company will either dump the bin and you have to reload it or they charge you a hourly rate for them to take it back to their yard to do it and thats not cheap.

KeppleServices

Since i cant starta new thread, I searched and found this one.. I am in the EXACT same boat right now. I am looking for a good used rolloff (dont laugh, i have heard it already) and well, cant seem to find one... I do know i need a 75K hoist and 3rd drop axl for the concrete i do on a regular basis. any suggestions on where to look? I have a few already, but more are always good!....

BTW the dump fees here are 17.80 a ton at the county landfill, and there are also private landfills for C&D that you can tip at for around $5 a yard! yeeehaaaaa... I have talked to 2 people up in NY and NJ that own or owned a large rolloff company and they told me what the tipping fees where up there :eek: .

bins

Cant have my own Thread yet.

I am looking at getting into the roll off business. At first I was looking at the trailer system made by nedland. Now I am thinking about a Hino 268 25,950 GVW that weighs 9.7k lbs with a 18k swaploader hooklift that weighs 3k lbs. In my market there is a huge company servicing the commercial guys with 20yd and 30yd containers. So I will be aiming for the residental and small contractor market with 10-15-20yd containers.

What do you think of my idea?
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.