• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Roadbuilder vs. Traditional Excavator

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The machine in the photo is a Canadian build for Canadian use. They only show up in the states as used machines and they are significantly heavier than the same model built for US consumption. The only 568 machines I've seen in the Washington State market are log loaders. All have been side entry cabs with heel rack and grapples. The other item not mentioned about forestry machines is the double swing motors means nearly if not more than twice the swing power. I know of one of the 330D loggers that a wayward operator turned over on a side hill not realizing how much swing power they have.

cutting edge

The machine in the photo is a Canadian build for Canadian use. They only show up in the states as used machines and they are significantly heavier than the same model built for US consumption. The only 568 machines I've seen in the Washington State market are log loaders. All have been side entry cabs with heel rack and grapples. The other item not mentioned about forestry machines is the double swing motors means nearly if not more than twice the swing power. I know of one of the 330D loggers that a wayward operator turned over on a side hill not realizing how much swing power they have.

What is it with you guys and side entry cabs on high riser machines anyways?

What a pain in the ass to work on!!!!

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
Agreed. Weyco in Vail ordered their Hitachi shovels with rear entry cabs. They were so much nicer to work on also way more room inside. But John is correct they are pretty uncommon around hear. I remember when Deere/Hitachi started building their own forestry packages. The doors would sag to the point you couldn't unlatch them and would trap the operator inside. Damn those doors are heavy.

John C.

Occupation
Both Weyerhaeuser White River and Bay City refused the edict to have rear entry cabs. No one ever documented an operator falling off the side of a machine so no cost benefit study could be completed to show the rear entry did anything but drive the cost of the machine up. It was pretty well documented though that the extra weight on the slew bearing caused them to fail early on Komatsu log loaders. Deeretracks is right about the door, it is a meat locker door that weighed at least a couple of hundred pounds. It has to be kept closed because it will absolutely kill anything in the way if the house slams it shut. Closed up cabs are pretty universally hated in this area. It seems our gents like the fresh air in their faces when mowing down the forests.

The other issue I've had is that the electronics are moved below the cab where there is now lots of room. Seems the forest rats just love to move in there and nibble all that nice wiring. I was in the cab checking things and a partner was underneath checking the computer. I heard a shout and looked down just in time to see a body launch out through the hatch and make a graceful arch to the log deck five feet away. He said he saw eyes and tail about a foot apart and decided the critter might not want to share the space. We drove the critter further into the machine by hitting him with a pry bar. To tell the truth I wasn't sure that the bugger wouldn't try to take the bar out of my hands and use it on me. At least with the small cab the critter couldn't have had any swing room to use the bar on us.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
There are many 568 roadbuilders here in SW Washington. Tim Brown, Jerry Debraie, ect.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
When shovel logging it is much easier to get around when you can see and those rear entry cabs are a bitch to see your tracks out of.
I prefer a non forestry cab with the door open myself.

John C.

Occupation
Thanks for the info Hallback. I don't get down there much anymore.

Chopper95

Photos or they don't exist :laugh

Not really...

But interesting bit of information! Great to hear the machines are out there!

Chopper95

I always forget that Volvo plays a part (no matter how small :D) in the forestry industry.

But I will admit, they have put some very interesting machines on the market over the years.

I apologize about the small size of the one, but this Volvo FC3392C would probably be quite the ride.

Volvo 1.jpg
Volvo 2.jpg

This is the only self-leveler I've seen out there without digging into Google too hard.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
That's pretty trick! I saw an old case with a leveler but not like that.

ProGroomer

That volvo belongs to North construction out of Vancouver, BC. As far as I know it replaced one of their cat 330 c fm's. Looking at the background in the first picture it looks like it's working somewhere in the sea to sky corridor.

csquared

That volvo belongs to North construction out of Vancouver, BC. As far as I know it replaced one of their cat 330 c fm's. Looking at the background in the first picture it looks like it's working somewhere in the sea to sky corridor.
I believe all of these machines were purchased back my Volvo. I think that picture was from Revelstoke BC,
Looks like one of these machines went back to korea...
http://www.marketbook.ca/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9678297&LP=MAT