• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Right To Repair EO

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
BV, I agree with you. I was just pointing out that the EPA is backing Deere in their "right" to the software in your customers machines. Since the EPA seems to have as much authority as a DNR officer looking for a poacher, it's gonna be an uphill battle. I have never had opportunity to work on full-blooded Deere products. I have worked on some engines in screeners but they had Murphy displays which would give me generic information. Anything more than basic faults and sensors, we would call the dealer tech. It seems to be "the way"

dieseldog5.9

Someone said it best earlier, we dealt with this in the early 90's in the automotive world, the right to repair act made information available to the aftermarket like snap-on and OTC and Mitchell on demand. Mitchell on demand is 3k a year, and a good scanner is 10k.

In automotive you have dealers, Independants and homeowners, right to repair kind of left the homeowners out because of cost of purchasing equipment. 25 years later the homeowner has some other avenues because of the internet.

In Industrial applications you have the truck market and the equipment market. Issues with emissions seems to be the catalyst for any of these markets issues with diagnostics. As an independent Technician in these markets it is difficult to have multiple makes to keep up with, and expensive to have information and technology for every thing because their is no one supplier.

AzIron

As the labor market tightens for real mechanics something Is going to give because dealer wait times for service are getting bigger let's not talk about parts on the shelf so when I have a machine that's under warranty that takes months to fix and I cant use it you have grounds to push way back

Dealers have a lot of pull and believe me deere has a lot of customers railing against there dealer network right now cause there is no competition really witch means they dont have to perform like the automotive world would

But I do know the dealers have been a big part in why it's the way it is because they pay a license and subscription as well to deere as well and they dont want there revenue stream cut because customers can easily access information and the absolute last thing any oem wants is to have there dealer network side with the customer so the dealers have been conditioned to charge an outrages amount for service to offset what they pay deere

Another thing that really surprised me is that you would not believe how many big customers have similar problems as the little guy from dealers but there account managers have more incentive to get it rectified than they do for the little guy the corporate dealers dont even see big companies in times like these so the whole situation sucks because of the size of these corporations

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Local AG dealer is into Lease Options now, Figured out really quick is NOT a boon to their bottom line as when a machine goes down, they are responsible to provide a Loaner(At NO Cost) according to these contracts, Loaners go down they too must be replaced with another loaner. Yard up in Macon has fourteen NEW Combines, ALL are loaners for the Lease units they have out, rotate them often enough to have a driver on standby during harvest and a machine already loaded. Tractors same way as Cropland Prep and Planting began last fall, are losing major money to Loaner machines per the shop manager Here.

Even Purchased units with extensive warranties are under same context, cannot fix it NOW, loaner AT NO CHARGE comes out. Trades are becoming at near end of warranty schedule so losing money there too. Little guys as I, are buying 10-20-30 year old machines and fixing them ourselves, we do know that will end at some point as do the dealers.

terex herder

As far as equipment choices, ag has few choices compared to dirt. If you want a most popular sized 300+ horsepower row crop tractor, you basically have red or green. Maybe you include silver (Fendt). If you want a 20 ton class track hoe, you have what, 6 or 8 choices, depending on what dealers are around?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most of the dealers in my area take the trades on a contingency or agreement with the auction companies. The auction company sets the value. The trade only stays on the dealer lot a certain number of days and then the auction gets it. If it sells while on the dealer's lot for more so be it. If not the auction company pays the agreed amount and takes the machine. Even the Cat dealer only wants to take consignments now. A trade only gets shoved down their throats by a heavy hitter. Really, there are few people left that know how to make money on trade in machines. The next generation doesn't have the stomach for them so they push them on someone else or just say no.

As far as parts prices go, most are set up on a matrix which means that the more pieces sold, the more the price automatically goes up. Good parts managers also know their markets. If they have the last of anything, it's going to be expensive.

Truck Shop

Good parts managers also know their markets. If they have the last of anything, it's going to be expensive.

That's where having or finding a dealer parts department that you can buy from on a steady basis works best.
If I need something that's in high demand or limited supply and I find it at another dealer I don't normally use
I call my regular and have them get it ordered and drop shipped for their price.