• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacing all hydraulics hoses with Cloth protective covering?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
My local Carquest built my last hose and had to reuse one of the fittings off the old hose. He told me no guarantee since their chart only gave crimp parameters for Gates hose and fittings. He calculated how far to go using the diameter of the fitting and hose ID and crimped a little at a time and measuring with calipers. So far it has been fine. Cost was half of a factory hose and done while I waited.

I did have to make two trips because I cut the old hose and the fittings needed to be clocked. He assembled the hose and fittings without crimping. I went home and put it on the hoe and marked the end positions with a grease stick. Took it back and got it crimped.

Last edited:

Outdoort

So ya i had a suspicion that it wasnt normal for the protective cover to be crimped underneath. Seemed pretty neat looking but just not designed to do so.

i went ahead and talked to a guy named Kieth at gates in product development engineering and he told me that “no, that cover shouldnt be crimped underneath”

So im gonna go back to napa and have them re make this hose and ill just zip tie the protective cover on after. Thanks! Good think i havent put this extendahoe back together yet!

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
We have a gates hose maker where I work, every size hose has a specific squish pressure that involves a die that makes the crimp inside an outer cone and the extra material inside the fitting will interfere with the crimp on the crucial part of the fitting,the barb...I have made hundreds of hoses and would not trust the one they gave you....That sure looks like a Gates crimp to me...

csthompson12

I have a firewood processor that has a bunch of hoses on it, and every hose has the fabric protective cover crimped under the fitting. Came from the factory that way. Haven’t had a problem yet...

Outdoort

Well, IDk. I'm gonna have these put back together in two days so if there are more opinions on whether I should take them back or not, please speak up. I guess my main concern is not a instant failure, of course that would suck taking the extendahoe back off... but its a failure in a year or two. At $120 bucks for both hoses, I'll be pissed if they don't last me longer than 5 or more years (this is just a backyard hoe lol).

Outdoort

We have a gates hose maker where I work, every size hose has a specific squish pressure that involves a die that makes the crimp inside an outer cone and the extra material inside the fitting will interfere with the crimp on the crucial part of the fitting,the barb...I have made hundreds of hoses and would not trust the one they gave you....That sure looks like a Gates crimp to me...

You sound like you have authority on this, so I'll prob still take them back, but part of me wants to experiment a bit and see how long they last...

Outdoort

Tinkerer, prob not, but IDK I just gave them the old ones to match up. If I take them back, I kinda dont care about re using anything, I'm just going to ask them to remake with new everything...

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I wouldn't hesitate to use them there's inserts the hose is squeezed against and the thickness of the shielding would be insignificant.

stinky64

Occupation
I'm not an authority on hoses brother, just telling what I have seen, I installed the kevlar sleeve on all my dipper/hoe bucket lines for the abrasion protection...At $120 for both lines you got a pretty good price, especially with the wrap, too bad it's tucked into the fitting.....hopefully the "boss" at the place ya got 'em has a brain and remedies the issue...

stinky64

Occupation
I wouldn't hesitate to use them there's inserts the hose is squeezed against and the thickness of the shielding would be insignificant.
If the die can't get a good squish due to all the extra foreign material in the fitting, it just may be an issue, especially for the poor sucker standing next to the hoe when it pops... just sayin...

stinky64

Occupation
I have a firewood processor that has a bunch of hoses on it, and every hose has the fabric protective cover crimped under the fitting. Came from the factory that way. Haven’t had a problem yet...
Different application man, probably the setup Nige was referring to..Maybe uses a different type of fitting and different sleeve, but those in the photo don't look legit to me...

skata

The ribs and the grip is on the inside of the hose right? I think you'll be alright.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I never use auto parts stores for hoses, just cause billy got shown the crimper and makes a hose or two when he isn't asking make, model year and is it 4x4??? Doesn't mean he's qualified people None of em here check crimps, clean the hoses or cap em.

I'm ask my weatherhead hose rep if I can crimp spiral wrap under the fittings and see if I can freak him out next time I see him

hosspuller

I'm ask my weatherhead hose rep if I can crimp spiral wrap under the fittings and see if I can freak him out next time I see him

OP didn't get spiral wrap protection. He got a fabric covering. I'd like to know how Weatherhead views that or how do they recommend securing the fabric to the fitting.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Well here's how Cat recommend doing it on their hoses. Note the sleeve is run right over the top of the crimped fitting up to the end, folded over, and secured with a separate steel band. All this is done after the hose itself has been assembled.
Also I note that the latest version of the document intrducing the protection sleeves (also attached) makes no reference to increased abrasion resistance.

My 2c is that if those hoses had been made for me then I would be taking them back. There is no way IMO the crimp on the hose can be correct when the folded-over sleeve is sandwiched in between the hose and the fitting that is supposed to be crimped tight to the O/D of the hose.

Attachments

• NEHS0727 - Crimp Tool.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 14
  • M0089093 - Hose Protection Sleeve.pdf
    192.4 KB · Views: 6

csthompson12

I wouldn’t worry about it.. like I said I have a large firewood processor that has been in use for a long time. Every hose on the machine (there’s a lot of them) has the fabric cover crimped under it from the factory. I would think if one was going to fail I would have seen it by now.