• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repairing Bobcat 773

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
All I know is those sprockets/chains are very close to the bottom of the case, taught chains keep chains from rubbing bottom of case at bottom of sprocket. Those slotted holes? Hmm, I don't know. Just know ours didn't have slotted mounting holes for the mount bolts of the motor carrier. I'm kinda curious about that. Sounds like you had a nice project repairing the end of the axle housing.

BTW, go ahead and make another post and you'll be upgraded to Junior Member and be able to start threads and post pics.

jrrhotrod

hi guys just an update here showed the chains to the bobcat dealer today and they said the same thing I was thinking that they still looked new but they didnt have any way of checking to see if maybe they were stretched. They said that they have seen chains that were abused to the point of failure and it didnt do much damage to the case as far as rubing and that you could actually hear them slapping around.the chains were about 150.00 a piece so I decided just to use what I got for now and If I get to much chain slapping I will just replace them then. I got both sides assembled tonight and the chains are not rubbing the case but they are close. As far as adjustment goes they say there is none needed but I asked the dealer and yes there is some small adjustment that can be made with those slots in the case but it is less than a 1/8 inch I did get some pics of the slots to better define what I have before I got everything assembled. that 1/8 inch movement did help my chain slack in the rear to were the chain wasnt dragging on the bottom. thanks for the replys and hopefully I will get my new status with this post so I can start my own thread

jrrhotrod

Just a few pics here to show ya what I was talking about with the chains and the slots for the carrier hopefully this will give others a visual also. Those slots in the case allowed slight adjustment and it was just enough to keep the rear chains from dragging the case for most of you with new chains you'll probably wont have to worry about this. Got most of it put back together this weekend and all I have to do yet is change the hydraulic fluid (any pointers with getting the most fluid out of the system). I have drained the hyd tank down but that only got about 5.5 gallon out manual says 8.5 gallon in it so I would really like to get the most I can out. The history of my machine is a little unknown so I am giving it a thorough tuneup of sorts hopefully there wont be anymore gremlins . Thanks for the help guys

Attachments

• DSCN0622.jpg
    DSCN0622.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 5,997
  • DSCN0624.jpg
    DSCN0624.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,640
  • DSCN0620.jpg
    DSCN0620.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 7,895

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Looking good jrr. Looks like your parking brake plates are in good shape. Be sure and add your chain case oil in the front access hole before you install that cover, it's a lot easier to do it that way than trying to add it in that little hole up front. And yes, it's not easy to get all the hyd oil out of those machines, there's a lot of oil still in the pumps and components. Keep us posted how it all works out. :)

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I think I would rather work on my Lulls that looks :eek::eek::eek:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I think I would rather work on my Lulls that looks :eek::eek::eek:

LoL! :D

Yep, Speedpup, I've always said...working on a Bobcat is like working down in a hole in an uncomfortable position, while sitting on the back of a Porcupine, everything in there poking and prodding at ya! :yup

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I've always said...working on a Bobcat is like working down in a hole in an uncomfortable position, while sitting on the back of a Porcupine, everything in there poking and prodding at ya! :yup

I think you sugar coated it just a bit...:D:Banghead

bill onthehill

Having worked on a few over the years I agree you were being polite! One of the things I like about my Gehl is you can tilt the cab and get at most things fairly easy. Bobcat finds a way to get it in there but they don't make it easy to get any repairs done. I often wonder why they don't make a slide out engine/pump assembly with a couple quick couplers and plugs so you could do service on them.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I often wonder why they don't make a slide out engine/pump assembly with a couple quick couplers and plugs so you could do service on them.

Great idea Bill, since basically the same machine we used to buy in the $30K's 15 years ago now goes in the $60K's, you would think they would have made the maintenance a little easier.

I can change the batteries in my 420, D5 and 953 in the same amount of time it takes to change the one battery in my T250.:rolleyes::Banghead

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Having worked on a few over the years I agree you were being polite! One of the things I like about my Gehl is you can tilt the cab and get at most things fairly easy. Bobcat finds a way to get it in there but they don't make it easy to get any repairs done. I often wonder why they don't make a slide out engine/pump assembly with a couple quick couplers and plugs so you could do service on them.

Yep, I would rather work on ten Gehl or Case machines as one Bobcat. :yup

I can change the batteries in my 420, D5 and 953 in the same amount of time it takes to change the one battery in my T250.:rolleyes::Banghead

And then...there's the time the battery tests ok, and the problem is the alternator crapped out! :Banghead

tttahoe1

Gentlemen, Forgive me for jumping into your thread - but you guys are hitting on exactly what I need to dive into. I have an old 741 Bobcat. I did some horse trading for the thing and ..........well, I've got a project on my hands.

Like JRRHotRod, the previous users did really poor maintenance on this rig. Apparently the axle seals went out at some point allowing the chaincase oil to pour out. Apparently running the chains with no oil causes them to stretch - and then snap.

Luckily for me, the older Bobcat models have less expensive chains than the newer ones.

Really lucky for me was the guy on You Tube who took the time to show how to replace axle bearings, seals, etc.

YouTube - Splined, resealed and degreasered ?

Now all I need to do is jump into getting things done.

Seeking guidance on axle bearings and seals. I want to do the job once and do it correctly. Should I use Bobcat branded parts or match up sizes and go with good name brands - just not Bobcat as they seem to be pretty expensive.

I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for the bearings. Are there any tricks out there for replacing "stock" bearings with some heavy duty ones so I don't have to do this project again anytime soon? Like ever.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum tttahoe1. :usa

You can jump in here anytime, no worries. ;)

When you take your axle bearings out, they should have some number stamped on them by bearing mfg., the bearings won't be made by Bobcat. Get a quote from Bobcat for the bearings as well as from Bearing suppliers in your area. In our case, Bobcat wasn't that much more than bearing suppliers, so I decided to just get everything from one place and obtained parts from Bobcat.

Interesting video, but, good grief man...drain the oil out of the chain case for pete's sake! No sense working in a mess. Besides, it's more than likely time to change the case oil anyway. :)

steponmebbbboom

Interesting video, but, good grief man...drain the oil out of the chain case for pete's sake! No sense working in a mess. Besides, it's more than likely time to change the case oil anyway. :)

especially when he admits in the comments section that there was a 50/50% oil/water emulsion in the chaincase. why did he leave it in there? not really sure why he slid the outboard bearing on the axle shaft before sliding it into the tube, then removing the hub to install the seal... why didnt he just put the bearing into the outer race and throw the seal on, then slide the axle shaft in?

also, i really really don't like how he has the back of the loader cribbed up. it's sitting on a jack, with a few blocks tossed under the mainframe in case it slips off... just crib it properly in the first place, thats a heavy machine.

bobcat owners can save a fortune on repair expense by purchasing a service manual. they are not cheap but they show you how to do the job properly and are very easy to follow.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
And he almost dropped the phone in the oil bath and said "this is why my wife doesn't like me using the phone..."

I'm thinking "and the oil is in there...why?" :rolleyes: :D

tttahoe1

ATCO, appreciate the welcome.

I will check the races and see what numbers I can come up with. Ultimately was wondering if there was a "top secret" double roller bearing setup that might cost twice as much and take twice as long to install but will last 10x the normal setup. I'd rather spend the money up front than ever do this job again. Just wishing.

Man, you guys are brutal on the poor guy who did the video. Personally, I'd like to see Pamela Anderson showing the bearing change on a chromed out new machine with footage shot in a professional studio. I couldn't find a link to that video, so I'm just happy our poor guy "borrowed" his wife's video camera and shot that footage.

I need all the help I can get.

steponmebbbboom

i just dont want to see people duplicating those mistakes and either costing themselves more money, downtime, or a lost-time accident. it's nothing personal. be careful, work safe, and ask a professional if you don't know what youre doing. if you're having a hard time doing something, there's probably a better way and theres plenty of guys on here whove done the job before and have a solution to your problem.