• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repairability of older models

seagull369

Hey everyone. Total noob here in the market for a backhoe/loader for just around the property here. Based on what I can afford, looks like a 1970ish model that might require work will probably be in my future.

Given that, I was wondering how available parts in this era would be. I imagine the answer to that might be largely based on the manufacturer/model in question, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty handy and have done my share of 'creative fixes' when parts just haven't been available, but I also realize that sometimes only an identical-type replacement will do so that's what makes me ask.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

NJfarmer

Occupation
Elec. Tech
Older Units

Seagull,
I have a 1973 Case 580B and have not had any problems getting parts for this backhoe. You will find older backhoes due require a lot of TLC to keep them running. I would stay with the more popular brands Case, Cat, JD etc. They seem to have a good network of dealers and repair staff. Good luck with your purchase.

NJ Farmer

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Agreed, if your looking at early 70's :eek:, I'd stay with Case or Deere. Problem would be finding one of this vintage that ain't slap wore out. There out there...you just gotta find it.

seagull369

Thanks, NJ and Atco-. I'll keep an eye out for those brands. Can anyone add to that list? I'm not all that familiar with the ones out there.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks, NJ. I'll keep an eye out for those brands. Can anyone add to that list? I'm not all that familiar with the popular ones out there.

Well, when your talking early 70's, there ain't a whole lot more to add. The loader/hoe machines of the era were basically Ag tractors made into loader/hoe's. Case, Deere, Ford, International Harvester, and Massey Ferguson are the ones that come to mind, there could be another or two that I'm not thinking of at the moment. We recommend Case and Deere because they have remained relatively unchanged through the years and still support these old machines. Massey, they focus mainly on Ag equip now days. Parts may be available, I just don't know. Ford, they've changed so much through the years I don't know what's available for them anymore. I think they're now part of the Case/New Holland/I-H group??? I guess the point is...look for Deere or Case.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Case is my favorite too, due to the cheap aftermarket parts available for them, and plenty of used parts. Lots of them out there I guess. Try to get the C model or newer.

I bought the last new 580B loader cylinder pin in North America, the one with the grease fitting in the end. The parts guy was really excited, he said it was the first time that he had ever seen this note come up on the computer:rolleyes:.Phil

Tinkerer

Seagull,
I have a 1974 Case 680C. There are not many of them around, yet I have been able to get all the parts I have needed for it.I recently purchased a complete set of aftermarket gears and all the associated parts to overhaul the four speed gear box.The aftermarket gears were a lot cheaper than Genuine Case gears.Also two years ago I replaced all of the "o" rings in the backhoe control assembly. They are an unusual o ring,square with a metal reinforcement around them , much like a wheel bearing seal. But the local Case Dealer had them in one week.There is a photo of the backhoe in - Pictures Of Your Backhoe thread.Be prepared to spend some time and money on any old machine. I have , but I get a lot of satisfaction repairing a machines like these to near new condition.I don't think it is any different than restoring an antique car.

seagull369

From the consensus, sounds like Case & Deere are the top picks, with maybe Cat and JD as runners up.

A note about Ford, I actually went to look at a good old 40's throwback Model 9n, 8n or 2N backhoe/loader (I'm not sure which and the guy who was selling didn't know) today. Looked in real good shape and guy said it a ton of work done on it (with paperwork to prove).

He said there's a gagillion parts available for these tractors and after searching online here looks like he might be right. I wasn't planning on buying something so 'vintage', but the asking price of 3k has got me wondering....

ghitch75

the 8n i had wouldn't handle a 5ft bushhog....i couldn't see how it got handle a loader and a hoe too.....there only around 23hp....

my 580c is a 1979...parts are easy find and has good power for it's age...

Tinkerer

Those Fords are exactly what ATCOEQUIP is referring to when he mentioned farm tractors with backhoes on them. I would run as fast as I could to get away from one of them. You would have no end of frustration with the inability to do much with it. The older John Deere and Case T/L/Bs are some of the best buys. They were the first ones with a tractor built for the backhoe and loaders they were building.

575Rancher

A few years ago I bought a Massey 50A for a song. Its a great machine but parts are pretty much unavailable. I had to re-rig the swing cylinder to something thats functional, but not really all that good. I dunno what I'll do if the hydrostat tranny goes out, so its parked most of the time. Maybe I can get it sold before that happens.

Dodge the 70's era MF if you can.

rockdog

I have a Deere 410B , 1983 vintage that I got last year. The JD network is supported pretty well. But even in an 80's era hoe I've found that lots of hard parts are obsolete. You can get most wear parts, but for some stuff I've had to go to bone yards.
I think if it were me. I'd look for a Case in that era of hoe. There are a ton of that era's Case hoes around for parts. At least in this area.

Pecord Exc

Hey everyone. Total noob here in the market for a backhoe/loader for just around the property here. Based on what I can afford, looks like a 1970ish model that might require work will probably be in my future.

Given that, I was wondering how available parts in this era would be. I imagine the answer to that might be largely based on the manufacturer/model in question, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty handy and have done my share of 'creative fixes' when parts just haven't been available, but I also realize that sometimes only an identical-type replacement will do so that's what makes me ask.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Where in NY are you at?

I have a 2WD JD 310A you may be interested in

seagull369

Sorry to keep pestering ya'll, but someone local here has a 1970 Case 530 for sale for a little over $4k. Think I should go check it out? He claims it has no problems.

Phil

Occupation
Keep in mind seagull that one can put a few grand into a backhoe pretty quick. So $4000 something, can get to $7500 in a hurry which is just about all a very nice 530 diesel is worth in my opinion. Used parts for them are getting harder to find, although many are interchangeable with the 580CK.

On the positive side,the price is right, it is a Case, and if it's a diesel, still quite sought after, and easy to work on with no cab too. I personally would be more interested if it were a direct drive model. Phil

seagull369

Thanks, Phil. It is a diesel and actually this one does have a cab on it. I attached a pic here if you're curious.

Hate to sound like a dope by asking, but are aftermarket (or even OEM) parts available for something this old or is used the the only thing left?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 792

Phil

Occupation
I'm not sure just how plentiful the new aftermarkets parts are, certainly alot better than any other make. Most 580B parts are available from Case, I believe, and that machine is from the early 70's. Don't forget that the 530 is a farm tractor too, so that improves your chances considerably.

The early 530/580 CK hoes had several weak spots, not that they weren't a great machine. The early blocks had the narrow liners and the G188 block in general as it gets older tends to crack between the liners. Make sure you work it and that it does not blow coolant out the rad. Check the rad to make sure it actually has coolant in it, an old trick to selling a problem.

Start the engine up cold, an old trick is to get ér going before the guy comes. The front wheel spindles can get worn bad when the bearings fail. Loader frames are a common weak spot where the cross member joins them near the front. Some add plates everywhere.

Check for bad chrome on the cylinder rods, and the hoe dipper when vertical should lift the rear of the machine right off the ground, at a high idle. Check this when the oil is warm if possible.

If it's a converter drive I would be careful, one should feel it shift into forward or reverse, especially when hot. Drive it up to a tree and get it to spin the wheels. Another good reason to sell one.

Check for a whine in the rear-end, drive it around alot. If the whine is loud, you probably need to do some work there. Brake problems are very common, again it's cash needed to fix this.

See if you can find a spot to work it, the best test.

Machine actually looks good in the picture. Worth $4000 for parts also:rolleyes:Phil

Last edited: