• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rental rates for d6 dozer and hitachi ex200lc excavator. Hourly, daily, weekly, month

soapstoneguy

Hey guys. Looking to rent out two of my pieces of equipment. Just wondering what typical rates are for a CAT D6 dozer and HITACHI EX200-LC excavator...
rates for hourly, daily, weekly, monthly WITHOUT AN OPERATOR.
Also, is it 'you maintain' as in the person renting it has to maintain it (i.e. fuel, something breaks they fix it etc) or no? Obviously the fuel is their responsibility but what about hoses etc breaking?

Any input would be great. Not looking to rip anyone off but just get a general idea.

Thanks and Happy New Year's everyone!! Can't wait to run equipment all year long!!!!

Shimmy1

How new is the machinery? Is this a 6D or a 6R? A -2 or -7? The dozer should be somewhere between $2-3K/month. The hoe $4-6K. These are pretty vague, use your imagination depending on your particular machinery. Here in ND, rental rates usually are figured on the 12 hr day, 5 day week, 3 week month method.

soapstoneguy

How new is the machinery? Is this a 6D or a 6R? A -2 or -7? The dozer should be somewhere between $2-3K/month. The hoe $4-6K. These are pretty vague, use your imagination depending on your particular machinery. Here in ND, rental rates usually are figured on the 12 hr day, 5 day week, 3 week month method.

Thanks for the info! The d6 is actually an oldie but goodie...I think it's a 1956 or 1957 d6g and the excavator is a 1994. Love the old dozers and for some reason guys around here like them. That gives me a good idea as to prices and that's what I've been finding through my research.

Paul Six

I would rate the D6 dozer at higher price , compared to the 20 T excavator , a new D6 is more expensive vs a new 20 T excavator and cost of maintenance higher

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
When im bidding jobs I go on sunbelts website since they are typically a little hire than what i am going to pay at a dealer or local operation and have TN e prices right there online

Shimmy1

I would rate the D6 dozer at higher price , compared to the 20 T excavator , a new D6 is more expensive vs a new 20 T excavator and cost of maintenance higher

I see your point, but that's not what I have found for rental rates. I checked back in my notes, last spring I was quoted $3900 per month to rent a 7R. Probably pretty similar to a 6T. I should have said $2-4K for the dozer, BUT I had no idea what he had either. The difference in rent for a 6H to a 6T is pretty substantial.

Dickjr.

I see your point, but that's not what I have found for rental rates. I checked back in my notes, last spring I was quoted $3900 per month to rent a 7R. Probably pretty similar to a 6T. I should have said $2-4K for the dozer, BUT I had no idea what he had either. The difference in rent for a 6H to a 6T is pretty substantial.

Shimmy , A D6T rents for 2800$ per week here , 50 hours allowed per week , multiply by 3 is a months rent , so about 8000$ per month. I did rent a Case CX250 fall before last for 2200 per week. Same on hours etc. They tried to charge me 250$ per week for the bucket on the hoe, I told them everyone else supplies one bucket with a hoe , and we all know a hammer is extra as well. I have two pieces , a backhoe and a D5 size dozer , some think I should have bigger equipment , but the cost of ownership and work demand will put you in the poor house. You need larger commercial type jobs or state work to get any bigger. The rates I put up , you can make money on the hoe , but the dozer will bleed you dry. There are a few new D6N and D6T size dozers around here , but most of those guys have supplemental income.

Shimmy1

Sorry about that, I am a fool. That rate was for a week, not a month. Idiot. Ok, so now that that cluster..... is cleared up, I was renting a CX21OB with 45" bucket AND hydraulic thumb for $5100 per month. This was in 2013, so prices might have gone up. The machine was brand new, part of a 30 machine rental fleet Case had just added that spring out in the oil patch. Once again, sorry about the head-in-ass syndrome. It's a good thing I keep notes on things like that.

Dickjr.

Sorry about that, I am a fool. That rate was for a week, not a month. Idiot. Ok, so now that that cluster..... is cleared up, I was renting a CX21OB with 45" bucket AND hydraulic thumb for $5100 per month. This was in 2013, so prices might have gone up. The machine was brand new, part of a 30 machine rental fleet Case had just added that spring out in the oil patch. Once again, sorry about the head-in-ass syndrome. It's a good thing I keep notes on things like that.

Ahh the head-in-ass syndrome , it effects all of us sometimes I get a double or triple dose. What did you think about paying for the bucket separately?

Shimmy1

Completely ridiculous, but not unheard of. If they have had trouble with wrecked buckets, it's possible. As for your 6T comment, the guys around here that run those tractors are the big, volume guys where that dozer is to them what my 773 is to me, a piece of support equipment. Does it pay for itself, absolutely not. Do they need it to do these big road widening/rebuilding jobs? Yes. Same as my little skidder. I can't make a living off of it, but can't finish my jobs without it either. Before anyone starts disagreeing, I did some quick math. IF you pay cash for that machine, IF you can buy it for $400,000 (we are taking about the guys that buy new iron, right?), and IF you're paying your operator $25/hr, you will not see a dime of profit out of that machine for at least 3500 hrs. I am basing this on an hourly rate, by the way. $175/hr to be clear.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Thanks for the info! The d6 is actually an oldie but goodie...I think it's a 1956 or 1957 d6g and the excavator is a 1994. Love the old dozers and for some reason guys around here like them. That gives me a good idea as to prices and that's what I've been finding through my research.

A 1956 D6 is still the 9U series. Most were pony start but they do have the starter hole drilled and tapped for direct electric start. Direct drive with johnson bar reverser. One of the best machines Cat made in my book. At the rates you guys are talking I would love to rent out my like new 1956 9U. Did the OP mean 96 maybe.

justingiffi

Guys,

Just wondering if there is a market for renting a 1956 dozer? and if you could get the similar rates as newer equipment or if your going to have to offer a substantial discount? I realize that the 1956 D6 was a monster and will probably run forever but someone would need to be more skilled in the controls on an older machine and are the cycle times as good?

Renting my equipment out always scares me because there are a lot of inexperienced operators that abuse the hell out of equipment and it can get costly quickly. Keep us posted on what you decide and how you make out.

Justin

Dickjr.

My .02 , I don't see a market for a 56 model D6 to be rented. If I owned the 56 model D6 I would be afraid some one would abuse it , then have trouble finding repair parts. Although If I had that machine , I would want to get it out a couple times a year and push up some topsoil to keep it limber. The oldest model D6 I would pay to rent would be a D6D , and I would want to rent it considerably cheaper than a D6H , R or T. One other thing , I don't see much difference in the performance of the D6H , R or T as long as the H model is a diff steer.

Shimmy1

I don't see much difference in the performance of the D6H , R or T as long as the H model is a diff steer.

How come everyone says that a 6R will outwork a 7G, and I have heard people claim the 6T is neck and neck with a 7H? You disagree. Personal experience? I've only ever ran a 6R for a few hours, didn't think it to be a match for the 7H. But, I didn't run the 6R very much, and it was an LGP.

Dickjr.

I've ran a 6H, 6R not a T but we had another contractor work along with us that had a T. As far a the 6R out working a 7G , I can't say for the 7G. From my experience being around a D7F , in a straight push , it will work a 6H in the ground. Doing technical stuff turning and such is where the 6 H, R , T shines. Myself along with other locals have talked about this before. Its all about weight and horsepower. More so weight. The ease of operation versus a 7F, G is not comparable. If I needed a straight push tractor and a good 7G comes along I wouldn't hesitate. Another local guy has a 7R bought it new , its a hoss cat , but its also diff steer with a good cab. They use it to push 621 scrapers as well as general dozing. These guys are pretty heavy hitters , they do commercial stuff like Walmart , most industrial developments around here. They will not even pull they're stuff on a farm. Like I said before I have two pieces that keep me fairly steady , with my investment the return is far greater than running some bigger stuff. I tried it before with a 6H and a 5M. That was as near broke as I ever been. It was bad.

soapstoneguy

That is true. The dozer I'd rent out with an operator as there is a good learning curve for that thing with the Johnson bar and all.

On another note, what is the requirement if something breaks while the person is renting it? Obviously they pay for fuel but if something breaks who's responsible in that situation?

Guys,

Just wondering if there is a market for renting a 1956 dozer? and if you could get the similar rates as newer equipment or if your going to have to offer a substantial discount? I realize that the 1956 D6 was a monster and will probably run forever but someone would need to be more skilled in the controls on an older machine and are the cycle times as good?

Renting my equipment out always scares me because there are a lot of inexperienced operators that abuse the hell out of equipment and it can get costly quickly. Keep us posted on what you decide and how you make out.

Justin

Dickjr.

If the renter does damage to the machine then he is responsible for repair. If the machine fails due to age or lack of maintenance its on the owner. The renter is or should be responsible for daily check list , oil , hydraulic fluid , coolant etc, as well as greasing the machine which most renters will not do.