• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Red fuel @ $3.60

DPete

For those new to red fuel the state and local sales tax still applies, in my area 7.25%. It is the Federal highway tax that is omitted. Of course the sales tax is based on the total sale amount so the tax goes up with the fuel per gallon price.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Wow. Confusing one of my posts with one of CM's? That's the nicest compliment I've had all year. :)

OK that's the nicest compliment I have had all year. OK.... enough of the sappy bs...;):):D

Damn, I paid $3.69 for red fuel last Wed. I thought Cali had the some of the most expensive fuel prices.:beatsme

Glad to see you are burning some red fuel Dan, just hope there is something left over after the exhaust.:drinkup

dblaneyfan

Hey Dan,

Do you or anyone you know add any lubricity additives to your fuel, other than cetane booster? Have been wondering if the cost would be justified.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Just wondering if anybody has, or knows of anybody that has ever had your tanks dipped on your pickups or road trucks to check for off-road fuel?
I was working in the shop of a contractor one winter about 15 years ago or so. Me, the shop foreman and a mechanic hopped into the master mechanic's pickup to go to a job site in Pullman,WA to drive two shop trucks and a service truck back to Lewiston, ID. We had to pull into the scales at the top of the Lewiston Hill, and quess what, all three trucks had red fuel in them. I was driving the pickup because I don't have hazmat on my CDL. The fines were close to $10,000 per truck, and that fines goes aginst the driver because it's an IRS thing. The company paid it of corse, but there was alot of rear ends being chewed on when we got back to the office!

DPete

OK that's the nicest compliment I have had all year. OK.... enough of the sappy bs...;):):D

Damn, I paid $3.69 for red fuel last Wed. I thought Cali had the some of the most expensive fuel prices.
Ya, but I had to buy 1/2 truck & trailer load to get that price. Get a break because they deliver it direct to my tank. It went down a little I have another 1/2 load coming tomorrow @ $3.54

Last edited:

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Wow. Confusing one of my posts with one of CM's? That's the nicest compliment I've had all year. :)

Well I don't know what to say other than ....OOOOOOPPPSS !! ....was on 3hrs sleep when I was going thru yesterdays posts ...was about to have a really nice Rum toddy last night (just as it got dark) when the pager went off for a banger of a house fire in a very rural area where we were one of three fire houses to tender water to it ..... that was at 9:30pm ...we went till 5:30 am ....... SO Again Sorry for the OOOps

robin yates uk

if the Ministry of Transport, UK catches you using red in your car, pickup, truck or anything that is used on the road,they immediately impound the car, which they then sell at auction.then they assess your unpaid duty on the mileage reading and add that to your already big fine.

joispoi

This guy has his fuel bill figured out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdPkrghUZM&feature=related

If you could fuel your equipment with wood gasifiers, you would have needed 32 cords of seasoned firewood to give you the same btu's as 4,194 gallons of diesel. Wood pellets would be alot more practical just in terms of transport and storage (grain trucks and silos). Fuel is getting expensive to the point where alternative fuel sources start to look interesting.

Wood pellets cost about $11.50 per million btu's. A gallon of diesel has about 114,000 btu's. If you could simply pour wood pellets into your fuel tank, you'd be paying 1.30 per gallon.

mudober

Occupation
heavy equiptment operator
Dpete that's what i remember most going to work with my dad riding shotgun on an old D-8 and the smell of dirt and diesel down the tank and everywhere. We used it to heat our old farmhouse in a Ziegler stove too. Here today's price 3.59. Really takes the fun out of things.

Aussie Leroy

Diesel in Australia (victoria) Today 1.49cents per litre x 3.79 litres to a US gallon = $5.65 in oz. No rebates or cheap fuel that i can claim, Road or Off Road same price Cheers Leroy

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Ya, but I had to buy 1/2 truck & trailer load to get that price. Get a break because they deliver it direct to my tank. It went down a little I have another 1/2 load coming tomorrow @ $3.54

Although fuel is still way high, it's nice to see it coming down.

Dualie

I heard that a gallon of filtered used diesel oil will turn 100 gallons + of diesel black as coal and un detectable to dye inspections. Any thoughts?

robin yates uk

there have been many methods tried. Some worked but damaged the structure of the diesel causing burnt valves etc etc.. My own view is, better a machine that is working than a damaged engine. I used to do a lot of plant hire so the customer is paying. The guy who is running doctored diesel is going to break down anyway

Dualie

well technically the used diesel fuel in the used diesel engine oil is what makes it black as coal. so in a round about way were both right.

Personally i have been looking at investing some money in companies that are on the consumer end of natural gas fueling. With the price of natural gas plummeting due to over production and development they are talking CNG in the range of $1.50 a gal (diesel equivelent)

I think a some shares of Westport innovations might be in my future.

nzpatch

Here in new zealand diesel is nz$1.61 per lt , and then we pay road users tax that is 49 cents per km for 21tonne truck (6x4) or 42cents per km for 14tonne (4x2)trucks. we have a hubdometer on the back axle to record the kms we do and have to pre pay the tax at 1000kms lots. you can get a off road clame back for off road work. the price for your road tax gets cheeper if you buy lighter weight tax (you get a fine if over total weight, axle weight,and road user weight )

nzpatch

Just worked out the price per gallon on today exchange rate...$7.92per gallon usd!! our dollar buys about 77cents usd at the mo.

Komatsu 150

I don't know if any of you guys have had your tanks checked. We had an inspector come to our shop and check all the trucks and the bulk tank for the trucks for redness. Nice guy, he asked first although he didn't need to. We had conversation with him afterwards. We were OK by the way. One of his favorite things to do was go to grain elevators around 5:00 AM and check all the trucks lined up to offload grain as soon as they opened. The previous fall he caught 5 trucks from the same farm running red. Cost them $25,000.00 and he put the trucks out of service. They were not allowed to drive away but had to be towed to get their tanks flushed. Bad enough but they also suspended their permit to have bulk storage on the farm for five years.