• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Recommended oil analysis vendors?

LCA078

I have a new-to-me Cat 325BL with the 3116 that I'd like to start tracking oil analysis results. Add in a couple trucks with NHC 250 NA Cummins and an old JD industrial tractor, I think I'm looking at maybe 6-8 or at most a dozen samples a year for work I do for myself. I know this minor numbers compared to the fleet operators but wanted to know if there was a recommended oil analysis company. I've used Blackstone and a Cummins dealers a couple times for one-off issues but would like to start a reliable service that I can track the results online. Anyone have recommendations? Feel free to PM me if you have opinions you'd rather not post.

Ct Farmer

Our local Cat dealer has postage paid kits. Last time I got some was $190 for a 10 pack. Results are fast, emailed and at $19 per sample, well worth the cost. Works for any oil or coolant. Same kit.

Who ever you choose to use be sure to give them as much info as you can on oil type, hours etc. Be sure to note if synthetic or not as synthetics will cause some things to read higher than normal.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Another vote for your local Cat dealer. The critical part of oil analysis is interpretation of results. Most analysis labs don’t do that because they can’t. A Cat lab will have all the information that allows them to interpret results as well as analyze samples.

6-8 samples a year seems awful low when all the systems are considered. 2-3 samples on the engine, 1-2 on the coolant & hydraulic system, and at least one each on the swing drive and final drives. That’s 10 for a start without even considering your other equipment.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In my experience the Cat labs will interpret samples from their own brand of machines. One must take any interpretation they make of other brands as an opinion based on general knowledge. Their big advantage is that the labs are usually somewhat local and you can have results usually in less that three days from delivery to the lab. Other outfits require a mailing out of state and you are lucky to get a result in less than two weeks.

LCA078

Have you tried your local Cat dealer?

Yes, I've called multiple times but ended up getting mostly dead ends. Only the parts department person was able to tell me they sold kits but wasn't able to tell me if I can mail them in myself or if I have to make a trip back to them for drop off. The Austin branch dealer sends them to San Antonio (same overall dealership) where the lab is located so still very local. I agree sending oil samples from a Cat product to a Cat oil lab will yield best results.

6-8 samples a year seems awful low when all the systems are considered. 2-3 samples on the engine, 1-2 on the coolant & hydraulic system, and at least one each on the swing drive and final drives. That’s 10 for a start without even considering your other equipment.

I agree there is a higher initial start up volume for sampling when you have to do everything at once. I was thinking more of the steady state where I put 150-250hrs a year on the machine and keep tabs on the injectors, rings, bearings, etc. That's about one engine oil a year and other oils and coolant every other year. The excavator runs great- only white smokes some on cold morning start up for a few seconds after it's been sitting a while so I might have to play with a bad injector but oil sampling should better guide me. Doesn't smoke at all if started within a week or two of last shutdown so I'm not too concerned. I've only used a half-tank of fuel since it was delivered so just getting used to it... but would like to start an analysis program before getting busy with it.

Since the machine has ~8k hours but I don't have any history of the oils/coolant, I can easily take initial samples with current oils but not sure if they will be useful (at least not on the engine for sure and maybe not the hydraulic system). The final and swings I assume could be useful but even then, I have no idea of the type of oil used, hours on it, etc. I believe the machine was serviced by Cat in the past so what are the chances Cat would be able to use the previous sample data (if it exists)?

In my experience the Cat labs will interpret samples from their own brand of machines. One must take any interpretation they make of other brands as an opinion based on general knowledge. Their big advantage is that the labs are usually somewhat local and you can have results usually in less that three days from delivery to the lab. Other outfits require a mailing out of state and you are lucky to get a result in less than two weeks.

The speed of the test is not too much of a concern. I don't use my machines to make money, I only work my own personal land, so I'd be more concerned with getting the right lab to do the right tests. As mentioned, Cat is the right choice for Cat products. I don't know if they can do as useful interpretations on a couple older Cummins NHC-250's engines or my older JD tractor. For the Cummins I'm really interested in tracking the usual fuel dilution, antifreeze contamination, and high metallics in the engine oils. I don't know what is the best place to go for Cummins specific data since these engines faded out in the 80's.

Last edited:

LCA078

Nige-

My O&M manual states Engine Oil and Filter- Change every 250hrs or monthly. Monthly changes just isn't in my budget for such a low hour use on my side. I don't mind quarterly or so oil samples to verify moisture, acidity, etc.

I also emailed the contact in your link- thank you! I didn't even think to use the web and track down the local shop... but now I know.

Joe Zhao

I am looking to buy some oil testing kits. This is what I found, below prices are all without mailing postage, and without a pump.

1) my local CAT dealer sell oil test kits for $14.50/each
2) Cummings website shopcummings.com sells $12 each (Oil Analysis Basic - BMP), and $18.8 (advanced),
3) Most labs I found sell oil analysis kits for over $20 per kit (for example, TestOil.com $200/5 kits = $40 per kit, Polaris Lab $240/10 kits = $24/kit)

I went ahead and ordered 7 kits from Cummings website because they do free shipping for orders over $100
I don't understand why labs charge more than equipment makers/dealers like CAT and Cummings.
Any comments and suggestions?

heymccall

Oil change every 250 on a 3116?
Just sold a 322B w/a 3116 that had 23,000 hours. Had to change rocker box and valve cover gaskets and the front crank seal and a water pump. That's it, and it saw oil changes every 400 hours.
And I've got many other 3116s in the 10-15k hour range, and they all get 400 hour oil changes.
As for the sampling, the Caterpillar kit comes with a mailer, or can be dropped at the dealer (postage is included).

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
I've used Blackstone laboratories for years with my pickups.

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
Any reason you choose Blackstone Lab for your oil tests?
I see on their website, Blackstone Lab charges $30 per oil test. A bit more expensive compared to others.
I started using them quite a while ago, and it's an actual person going through each of your samples and commenting and advising on all of it. They give good service and always speedy replies. They'll converse back and forth with you about any questions of your samples or oil change interval. I find companies with good service and I stay loyal to them.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I would say that any laboratory can analyze an oil sample and produce all the numbers related to particle content, viscosity, fuel/coolant contamination, etc, etc.

To me what sets the good labs apart from the also-rans is the quality of their interpretation regarding what the numbers actually MEAN. To me that's the difference you should be looking for, as per the example given by HMC above.

Ct Farmer

I’ve also had very good results from my local Cat dealer. I like that I can walk right in the lab and ask questions. They know what they are talking about and not just pulling numbers off a computer. My reports come back with questions if they find anything odd and they quickly respond to my emails.