• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yesterday was Xmas here so nothing done
Started back this morning.
Rear seal and flywheel on, stood engine up to clean the deck and bores, had wife aid me to drag the truck out and cold pressure washed as could. Got trans out cleaned it some where is better but still not perfect yet can see bolt heads now.
D125BEE0-1162-4AE9-9F1D-75820A7C55EE.jpeg C98D28C2-0222-4ACA-A561-D833AF1A36E0.jpeg FD0B384B-D447-4618-997C-CEED140BC247.jpeg 9E33A017-DD60-4E54-8953-EFE8634CA7B1.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ordered the trans parts I have found necessary so far, also ordered the clutch, new Easy Pedal $700 and change should be here today or tomorrow. Also FINALLY received the CTP Piston Cooler heads I ordered close to 2 months ago, first order 'Was Lost in Mail'. Back on this like stink to a skunk Saturday.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got to a rough spot this stubborn bo good #€£#¥!!!
Yoke would NOT move so we had a little Come to Jesus moment10D31B7C-5E54-4FC4-8006-E5C03EB90C13.jpeg8623D6D8-5A04-45B7-A174-926E503CBE0E.jpeg 93CB5EFC-78D9-47F8-910F-DC1DBD14E180.jpeg
Then the Come or Bleed you sonsabich I done spit on you for the LAST TIME attitude cut in.

still had to drag the halves off with the puller

Tags

That looks like it was "tons" of fun to remove....sorry, I couldn't resist. But I honestly have to say Dmiller, I've been following this from the get go, and you, my brother, are one dedicated sob. I get inspired to do a little better every time I see an update on this, looking forward to hearing her run soon!

crane operator

I don't like seeing the trans struggles. I've got to pull the W. Star 13 speed this week, and I'm hoping for a short in and out.

Are you rebuilding yourself? I just got a quote for a exchange reman at $3,300 or $3,500- I can't remember which. A different source quoted me $4,000. That's just trans, I'm figuring on clutch and either surfaced or new flywheel while I'm there.

I really don't have any business redoing the transmission myself, I could probably figure it out, but I don't have the tools or expertise and its probably $2,000 worth of parts to rebuild mine.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gonna have to at least try it, Not in budget for $3500 reman replacement or spending a couple months tearing this one down to reassemble rebuild in my spare time. Not going into diffs either, brakes and hub seals inspect wheel bearings beyond suspension and drive lines is all will get, POSSIBLY get full lube replacements, will get temp gauges functional.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

You & I are neck and neck-I drove the cam bearings, installed the crank and cam yesterday. Rebuilt the
accessory drive, compressor and oil cooler assemble today. Waiting on .018 liner shims. Heads are done,
cam followers are done, oil pump done. What a mess straightening out the mistakes made by the person
before. Wrong turbo-has to have single entry with 401C jakes can't use dual entry engine damage will
result. Wrong pistons, wrong liner shims. protrusion was way high.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
That looks like it was "tons" of fun to remove....sorry, I couldn't resist. But I honestly have to say Dmiller, I've been following this from the get go, and you, my brother, are one dedicated sob. I get inspired to do a little better every time I see an update on this, looking forward to hearing her run soon!
Yup, a quitter he is not!

Tags

You & I are neck and neck-I drove the cam bearings, installed the crank and cam yesterday. Rebuilt the
accessory drive, compressor and oil cooler assemble today. Waiting on .018 liner shims. Heads are done,
cam followers are done, oil pump done. What a mess straightening out the mistakes made by the person
before. Wrong turbo-has to have single entry with 401C jakes can't use dual entry engine damage will

I just don't get it, how does someone put that much money, time, and effort into something and screw it up so badly? Imagine if it had gotten finished and tried to start it?? Sounds like Vtechs number one and number 2 "mechanics" tried to fix it :D

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Care to take on a 1940 Farmall M with 1949 engine? Engine had hydraulic pump, then distributor. 1940 engine had magneto. Mickey mouse mounted magneto on 1949 engine & it won't rotate far enough to time. Tried moving a tooth, that didn't work either.

Truck Shop

I just don't get it, how does someone put that much money, time, and effort into something and screw it up so badly? Imagine if it had gotten finished and tried to start it?? Sounds like Vtechs number one and number 2 "mechanics" tried to fix it :D

Unfortunately there are many that think it's a Cummins 855 so any parts will work. This engine did run for
awhile then abandoned. It's got a good block NT88, it just needed me to come along and feel sorry for it.
People have a tendency to Franken Fruiter Cummins engines. Mostly they don't understand what CPL means.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So I don't want to be a downer but don't you think that transmission should be looked at? I mean everything else in this truck was beat to death.

Wasn't quite beaten to death, was ignored for the last days of a working life as was become sacrificial to meet a contract. Then it sat, six years, neglect is a evil thing where just a few months can steal a great deal of useful residual I just have to correct that along with the been ignored and the overall sacrifice made of it. Will get there, may not be absolutely new perfect but I believe will be a good machine in the end.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Unfortunately there are many that think it's a Cummins 855 so any parts will work.

Had a boss like that for a time. The quarry company also owned a Mack dealer in PA so just about all trucks were Macks and boss had the idea that if there was a bulldogs butt sitting on the hood then everything behind it was the same!