• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Blow air into air compressor oil feed line L side of block back to main gallery, air blows above and behind #1 main. Very little air coming out piston nozzle mount points and still whistles behind the main.
No plugs, no other ports except the cross drillings main gallery to main and main to front structure/head supply riflings. Nothing else can explain the exhaust air behind the main boss.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will remove the ehad first, then pull drive line and trans, may pull R Tool box to roll trans out. Did not get too carried away putting stuff back on where will have the head undressed by next weekend and setting back in the shipping crate it came in. I am serious in that should a block be too exaggerated expensive I may just part the whole thing out and recover some of the invested cash.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At least with Engine/Trans out will be able to rent a Hotsy and pressure wash the frame inside. Will have to unstick the LF Dr Brake to get it outside.

crane operator

I spent a little time cruising the internet for engines, and there's not much out there for used runners. I hate to see you throw in the towel and part it out, but I understand the frustration and the sunk cost you have in getting this far.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Is a reman (Decked and inspected) block on Fleabay for $2500, also a block in Arkansas if not already gone for $1200 but will need work. Want to think on expenses paid and would need to come for awhile before dump more into it. Are a few salvagers with c15 runners, not all in what is considered as runable day to day but rebuildable, prices start at $15k, and Just Runs.

In Just the engine, I am down close to $20, then all the support work and that is far yet from being done. I get another block and is suitable, then there are a full set head bolts, full set rod bolts, full set rocker arm bolts, all the gaskets and oring kits for sleeves to closure, have to return to square one to reinspect it all then fit it all and then test it all. Be close to six months and still not drivable. Be down another minimum $6k

Pony

I'm not a mechanic or even in your country so have no idea of the future costs you will be incurring.
However I have been following along and while I'm not going to say go one way or the other, you obviously started this project for a reason and I don't think that reason would have changed.
I also think that regardless of the financial merits of one course of action or another you are the sort of person who will regret not finishing this thing if you decide to part it out.
Maybe do your homework on costs going forward and then give it a week or two to chew it over.
Best of luck whichever way you go.