• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question on AWD trucks.

zrtman

I am looking at buying a t/a or tri/axle dump. It will be my first dump, so I am new to this. Really leaning towards a awd/6x6 truck (front driven axle). I do site work - all the trucks always get stuck and we are forever pulling them out. I have found some cab/chassis - IH paystar 5000, Autocar, and Pete's that are the AWD. Anybody out there think I'm crazy? Never seen an AWD truck around here. Is there a reason for it?

Also - most trucks have the 8LL trans. Cummings L10 or Cat (3306 mostly). Any opinions on these? Whats better or worse...

Thanks!

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
You are adding a lot of weight to get a heavy steering, drive axle. That reduces total load. I also think cost is a big reason you don't see a lot of them. On a smaller one ton, type truck, these issues are smaller then in bigger type trucks.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I have an all wheel drive F600 converted from a 5ton mill truck. Only thing I have found is when contractors know you have they think you should be able to dump your load on top of any mountain in the area. They try to send you in areas ware a hover craft don't belong. They just get you in deeper so you need a bigger piece of equipment to get you out. They are great for hauling snow on ice covered roads.

zrtman

True - the front weighs more.. will sink more. Our biggest problem is guys getting stuck after they dump. It unloads the back.. then they go nowhere unless its flat running. Or after a good rain the job site becomes greasey. Not deep mud, just greasey. We lost a couple of weeks due to that this year.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
You are better off running regular tandem axle dumps and run a deep lug tire designed for On/Off road and lockers in both diffs the trucks will go anywhere you need to go. If the access road is bad fix it up so its driveable especially if this is a decent size project where you are hauling in or hauling out allot of material.

Those AWD trucks are slow aswell they are geared low they have low power you need minimum 14 litre power and 400hp. As meantioned you have the extra weight of the front drive axle you also have extra height so the truck is a little more tippy. The truck probably rides like a tank with a 23,000lb capacity drive axle under it.

You need good tires when working in mud something with big lugs not a highway traction tire.

If the site is that bad you get the dump trucks to park or dump the loads in a easier spot and you use a 6wheel drive articulated truck like a Volvo or Bell etc.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Another concern is maintenance. The Town I contract with has a number of trucks with front driven axles and there is nearly always at least one down with front axle issues.

If driven properly, an all wheel drive truck can go places a lesser truck could not, but it's also easy to get yourself buried. If you get this truck stuck, it will most likely take a machine to get the truck loose.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
If you start sinking you shouldn't be there once your up to the fuel tanks you start damaging things.

You should see some of the places where we get dump trucks down into. Some places the road your backing down is so steep all you see is blue sky. Most of the time your pushed back up with a excavator or a cable attached to the front bumper. When you release the tailgate dogs half of the load dumps out before you even lift the box because the truck is already on a steep slope :bouncegri

There are allot of places even with a loaded truck (15 ton) in the box the truck spins trying to climb some of these driveways.

The only time it would be nice to have a AWD truck is when your making a single delivery to some of the places around here were you really run the risk of getting stuck. The driveways are long and narrow and slippery so you do run the risk of spinning out. Lifting the box up does help sometimes some cases you have to take a run at the hill to get back up.

The first thing you try is crawl slow and try not getting the truck bouncing so the tires don't break traction. The worst part is your just cresting the top of the driveway almost there and the tires loose grip and your frigging stuck :spaz

LaLaMan

Concrete mixers are the only class 8s ive ever seen in AWD. Pete and Mack are the only said trucks ove ever seen that way. There are a few for sale in the NOV issue of truck and heavy equipment trader.