• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question for Crane Operator or ????

crane operator

GMK 500 ton with mega wing/luffer can take 90,000 to 95' radius or so. Looks like the tail of the plane is even with the top of the bank, so that might do it.

Manitowoc 18000 which is a 600 ton lattice could take it to 160-180' radius or a little more, that would probably do the trick.

If you've got the max-er counterweight extender for the 18000 you could get to 300' radius.

crane operator

Max-er is a setup about like this picture, (this ones a liebherr, but their similar in design)

That extra counterweight way in the back, can be suspended, or you can put it on a wheeled carriage for using on long term jobs. Then they only lift it off the ground when they need the capacity.

Set up to do the 300' radius would take 1,672,000lbs of counterweight. Thats carbody weights, frame weights, plus hanging weights. Bare crane is probably close to 400,000 just frame, carbody and crawlers. So roughly 2 million pounds or so.

20371837726_18c810e6ab_b.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I guess they would want to remove jet as soon as they can so a week or so to get it all together?????

Hank R

Occupation
My guess is that it was only for I lift and when the lift is happening the weight would come off the ground..

Knepptune

The wagons without wheels mostly stay off the ground. They stay close to the ground and move in and out as needed. If the crane boomed up you would see that wagon move in. Telescoping weights. Thinks that's leibherr way of doin things. Manitowoc's wagons are on wheels and are mostly fixed radius. The wheels on the wagon steer depending what you need.

I can't see the point in getting a crane to pick that plane. Two big wreckers and she's back on the runway in less time then it takes to put a gmk7550 together. If you can even do it with that. Building a big crawler isn't a small job.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I read on an aviation forum that the two knucklebooms Natman mentioned were there to remove the baggage, and also that they're working on a pad for a crane to lift the aircraft.

crane operator

Did this one in the dark on christmas eve if I remember correctly. Doctor with all his family flying home after a christmas party. "Supposedly" the light came on that the gear was down, but it landed on its belly on the runway. It was dark and snow/ rain when we got there.

I think he was trying to beat the storm in, and got distracted. I know the mechanic was pretty nervous because he worked for him directly, and had just gone through the plane evidently.

20161225_174049.jpg 20161225_174259_LI.jpg

Attachments

• 20161225_174049.jpg
    20161225_174049.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 1

crane operator

This was a fun one to rig, it had to be picked up flat, then rotated pitch and yaw both, to be positioned how they wanted it.

The last picture is when I was setting the engine in, I had to boom down quite close to the tail to set the motor, I was to lazy to move the crane. I could have flown the plane with the engines in, but if I remember right, I was concerned about having enough crane, (Imagine that, no one knew what it would weigh).

november 2013 branson crane pics 041.jpg november 2013 branson crane pics 042.jpg november 2013 branson crane pics 043.jpg november 2013 branson crane pics 044.jpg

Last edited:

Hank R

Occupation
Crane operator you have the best job in the world every day every job is different and you are a master of the Challenges.....

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Not much excitement, but a pretty good view of how they got it rigged and back up on level ground: