• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question about rear air brakes on an 86 F700

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Dad said in the woods back in the day old jalopy water truck was dead and blocking the road, they taped an impact wrench to the band strap nut and turned on the air from a distance, spring shot as high as the pine trees he said.

mitch504

I once caged the spring and then took the spring chamber off. I clamped the chamber in the vise, then reached out with a torch and cut the caging bolt. I wanted to measure and see how far the piston would fly, but I got disappointed.

I didn't get to see how far it would go, because it hit the only tree in the area, and stuck into a white oak, about 40' up and 75' away! If it had the power to stab into an oak tree that far away, imagine what it would do to your skull at arms length!