• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question about purchasing heavy equipment

AzIron

Gosh even the old manual transmission clutch lever dozers like a 2U are priced at crazy prices, makes no sense, one of those sure is not going out on a city or county job site.
I guess its that gold dust in the paint jobs that are the reason.

My cousin still runs around 4 46a configuration cats for development of subdivisions they have owned that stuff since grandpa and great uncle were in partners 50 years ago

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Just a question for the OP. What prices are you considering crazy? You might post the a link to an ad you are looking at.

chidog

If they did not have any value you would not be looking at them. Value in scrap metal, value in parts and value to a person trying to be cheap like you are.
With unknowns, like coming regulations, things breaking on the machine (can happen no matter how good you check it out), the slippery economy, you can spend 30 or 40k on something tomorrow that will be worth next to nothing next month. So the less the original outlay the better, correct? Value in scrap metal would be $9200 today for a 40 ton pile of scrap steel. How much time and gas to turn something into scrap? So the value is less than scrap value. But paying 12 to 15k for an old almost 50 year junker lessens the impact. Its just being smart and common sense to me. "Trying to be cheap" an older retired guy with only a few eggs in the basket can only gamble so many of them.

Shimmy1

Not saying this is you by any stretch, but cheap asses with zero heavy equipment experience that think they should go buy some yellow iron instead of paying a professional to do work are the ones that suffer these fates.

chidog

So I'm trying to remember, I think all together I have over 20 years of heavy equipment experience, operating and mechanics.
Its not being a cheap __________ its being smart. Some people are proud and brag about how much they spend, some can't gamble like that.
If there is a major disaster all the so called professionals will be unavailable.

Here is an example.

Last edited:

AzIron

Short of having a crystal ball buying any equipment a gamble even new equipment is a risk new old in between it all breaks down I have more confidence in my equipment from the 90s than I do the stuff made 2 years ago

Prices are high right now will be till either the market crashes or the manufacturer of new equipment out paces demand the generation of machines being produced today is likely to be the best stuff turned out in a decade maybe a little more because they are removing egr and the electronic components are starting to be reliable and not field trial

I dont know of anyone that's ever bought equipment to do a job that said well if all else fails I can scrap it and get my money cause the only value it would have is about 70 percent of the scrap and never before have I seen small equipment particularly priced if it was functioning in a fashion

Shimmy1

I have more confidence in my equipment from the 90s than I do the stuff made 2 years ago

This is why I run 95E tractors, an old 1150G dozer, and a ISX with a disabled EGR valve. The 2014 excavator that we bought new has had more issues than all our other equipment combined. My tractors are reliable, and I'd much rather put the $150k in my pocket instead of spending it on newer tractors.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
True with anything in life.
I guess the video above best explains it though.

What is your point in this conversation? The video explains nothing concerning old worn out equipment and points to nothing that you have said. If you have the experience that you claim, you would have answered your own questions before posting them here.

chidog

What is your point in this conversation? The video explains nothing concerning old worn out equipment and points to nothing that you have said. If you have the experience that you claim, you would have answered your own questions before posting them here.
Video was an answer to questions from someone I did not reread the thread. I asked questions for more input I guess and to see what others have to say. A recent death of someone very close has clouded the mind I suppose.

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
Completely and totally disagree. I could write a novel on machines that are beyond that age, and still better than anything made today. Now, if you had said 40 years old, I can accept that, even though I'm sure there are more D7Gs still working that some want to admit.

It depends on the particular machine and how hard it's been used. There are plenty of 60-year-old overshot muckers still in use, and 50-year-old machinery isn't unusual to see at a small mine. I know of a 1953 Gardner Denver piston compressor that was putting in great service at a gold mine last year. Fixed process equipment is another matter entirely - hitting the century mark isn't unheard of.

The real trick is to find old iron that hasn't been run hard for long, but hasn't sat long enough to develop issues from rodent damage and water intrusion.

Welder Dave

A lot depends on the operator. A good experienced operator could do more work on a 40 year old machine than some "rich" guy could do on a 5 year old machine.