• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pulling and Pushing Internal bearing Races

still learn'n

How do you pull and push 5-6" bearing races out and in? I know most will say just cut them out and that's what I do but I would like to use my hollow hyd ram and just pull them out anybody made a tool to do that? How do you pull them in also with the ram to make your own driver or whatever you call the beveled plate? Hammering them in with either a hammer or air hammer gets real old and I don't like to do it. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about2814 Tandem (2).jpg

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi ,there are a few ways to remove taper cups like yours
1/use a soft mild steel punch and hammer they should come out pretty easy
2/ if they are stubborn run a bead of weld around the inside of cup, that will shrink them and use method above
To install put them in freezer over nite and they should tap in ok don't forget to use a soft punch
you could use a hollow cylinder with a pull plate but that would be over kill for 5 to 6 inch taper cups
Mark

Reactions: DB2

Legdoc

I have used method No. 2 as Mark250 suggested many times and had the cup fall out. I have also made a sligtly tapered disc with a hole in the center on a lathe and cut it leaving the center 1/3. use a hard all thread rod, two nuts and a bar with a hole in it large enough to put the rod through.

Tenwheeler

Thanks I'll have to look that up.
I have welded a washer or crossbar in one to pull or push on.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Much the same as welding if you heat them red hot in about 3 spots with the torch and let them cool they will falll out.

still learn'n

I have tried the weld truck before and didn't have good luck with it so must have done something wrong. How do you freeze them out on the job?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have tried the weld truck before and didn't have good luck with it so must have done something wrong. How do you freeze them out on the job?
One way to freeze out on a job is get hold of some dry ice in a cheap cooler. Toss the bearings in when you pick up the dry ice and let them sit while driving out to the job and remove the old bearings. Then clean things up and by then the new bearing races should be nice an cold. Use a clean pair of welding gloves to handle the bearings as the dry ice will give you frostbite!

The trick I found with the weld to remove is to crank up the heat and run a big nasty pass on the bearing getting it nice and hot then give it time to cool down.

kshansen

Occupation

Just be very careful when diving on any bearing! They are very hard steel and can shatter and send chips flying. If my dad was still around today he could explain that very clear from experience. Removing a bearing in a piece of equipment about 50 years ago he or someone working with him hit a bearing race and he ended up with a few chips in one eye and never regained full vision from that eye!

My preference would be to a pusher plate and hydraulic press of some kind if there is room. Next best thing for me would be to shrink it in someway to allow it to be moved with minimal force. Either welding or heating in a few spots then let cool to release the press fit. And even using those methods care must be taken as bearing still may fracture and cause injury.

td25c

Great point kshansen ! Feller has to be careful about flying metal .

What I like about a race punch & big old hammer is it fits most of the bearings we have .....

Few cases where the bearing race is in a blind hole like on a dozer final drive . Those get cut in half with a torch .

Ran in to a little trouble last Friday evening installing new front wheel bearings in the 68 Ford Galaxie 500 .

They did not leave much of a lip on the backside to get a hold of . Race driver kept slipping off the 1/16 inch edge of the bearing cup .... OK ..... I'm a hard headed SOB as well :)

Went back to the tool box & found a 3/4 drive socket that fit the bearing cone perfect & would drive though the hub .

Well now ..... That bearing cup gave up & fell rite out after a few smacks .:D

Looks like there is plenty of bearing cup showing to get hold of . We would just start pounding with the race driver .

No give .... weld a bead around & letter cool of ....

Still no give hack in two pieces with a torch .

Prep the clean up the bore with a die grinder & install the new bearing race . 2814 Tandem (2)[1].jpg

Reactions: DB2

kshansen

Occupation
Ran in to a little trouble last Friday evening installing new front wheel bearings in the 68 Ford Galaxie 500 .

They did not leave much of a lip on the backside to get a hold of . Race driver kept slipping off the 1/16 inch edge of the bearing cup .... OK ..... I'm a hard headed SOB as well :)

Went back to the tool box & found a 3/4 drive socket that fit the bearing cone perfect & would drive though the hub .

Well now ..... That bearing cup gave up & fell rite out after a few smacks .:D

Don't you just hate it when someone designs something with no regard as to how to repair it later?

When I found something like that I would often after fitting to get it apart grab the die grinder and put a couple notches in to let one get access to drive the bearing back out in the future. My theory was make it easy on the "next guy" because who knows you my be that "next guy"!

Also in cases where the lip you have to hit against is small a little time on the grinder to sharpen up the edge on the punch can make a major difference!

Bluox

How do you pull and push 5-6" bearing races out and in? I know most will say just cut them out and that's what I do but I would like to use my hollow hyd ram and just pull them out anybody made a tool to do that? How do you pull them in also with the ram to make your own driver or whatever you call the beveled plate? Hammering them in with either a hammer or air hammer gets real old and I don't like to do it. Here is a pic of what I'm talking aboutView attachment 182056
You might want to weld up the crack in the weld on that tube on the right side of your picture.
Bob

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
If it is cracked there odds are good the other side has one also. Air arc that out and repair it and check the other side closely also.