• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pulling and Pushing Internal bearing Races

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
You can get Co2 cylinders with what is called an inductor tube. Basically pulls liquid off the bottom of the cylinder.

Volvomad

1 wallop with a soft drift . If it sounds solid ,I would only weld the lower quarter pretty hard , have coffee , a bit af choclate if it is too early for beer and all the hard work is done . Get the race from the freezer and hammer it in . If i was using a dolly and threaded bar (for a bush which would be a long hard pull ) the I freeze the dolly also . I even put the lipseals in the deep freeze ,jost over the T bones .

big harold

I used to use a wooden box with clips holding the sides together.
The box had slots cut in the sides to let the gas out.
A line from the co2 bottle in the top.
Turn on gas for a while would make a block of ice.

still learn'n

I used to use a wooden box with clips holding the sides together.
The box had slots cut in the sides to let the gas out.
A line from the co2 bottle in the top.
Turn on gas for a while would make a block of ice.

How much co2 does it use I found dry ice makers on the web but the one I looked at it runs in my mind it took a lot of co2.

still learn'n

One way to freeze out on a job is get hold of some dry ice in a cheap cooler. Toss the bearings in when you pick up the dry ice and let them sit while driving out to the job and remove the old bearings.

I wish I could be that organized but I don't think that there is dry ice available just anywhere around here. We use it for freeze branding cattle and I think some dillons have it and some don't. Like everybody I think I like to have the tools I need when I need them so I would love to be able to make my own dry ice.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I wish I could be that organized but I don't think that there is dry ice available just anywhere around here. .

Might want to just try a google search for "Dry Ice" in your area, you might be surprised who may have it

Back many years ago when we needed some dry ice at work to install pins in an Allison transmission planetary I found out the size the blocks it came in from one place then built a simple box out or some 3/4 inch plywood scraps and lined it with some foil backed 1 1/2 or 2 inch foam insulation on all sides and on the hinged top. That usually was good for two or three days work. Blocks we got were about 8 inches square and maybe 2-3 inches thick.

Volvomad

By dolly , I mean a round plate of a suitable diameter with a hole in the center to press , jack or pull a bearing ,bush or engine liner .

Tinkerer

Some grocery stores sell dry ice in the area where I live (Illinois). I know an HEF member that buys liquid nitrogen at a welding gas store. He tried to shrink a rusted in place backhoe boom pin he was trying to remove. It didn't help him at all he told me.

Randy88

We had a final drive housing years back that we welded up the bearing cup to get it out, but after four attempts and four new cups, we gave up trying to get the new one back in, took the housing in to a machine shop, turns out the cup housing was machined oval, but we had the housing machined back to spec. Just tossing it out there, sometimes the housings are not round or machined right, but to date, the final drive has never had another issue.

We think the factory used a large press to press the cup in, which ended up either flaking the surface of the cut, or ovaling the cup enough to cause bearing failure, we had welded up the cup to get it out, so it was too late to look over the cup like we should have.

Now if we have bearing failures before they should occur, we mike the housing and double check to see if its round and to spec and before welding up the cup to get them out, we look very closely to see if there are high and low spots worn in the cup, which also give an indication the cup isn't round and might be the reason it failed before it should have.

We've also had a housing with a bearing cup in both sides, that the holes we not machines straight across from each other, causing the bearings to run crooked but couldn't due to the shaft being run straight, which caused the bearings themselves to take up the slack, not surprising, the bearings always went bad, till we remachined the housing so both sides matched and the bearings ran correctly in the cups. As they say, sometimes its not the bearings, cups or who's doing it, but the company who machined the housings.