• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pros and Cons of Enclosed Cab v. Open Cab

Allan M

Occupation
Semi-retired: Strategic planner/author
I've followed many threads where potential excavator buyers are contemplating enclosed cab versus open cab. Other than slightly more weight and certainly the additional cost I don't see any downside to an enclosed cab. In fact, I think an enclosed cab is safer, healthier, and ultimately makes the operator more productive. Here's my thinking. An enclosed cab: 1) filters out dust and no bugs (or panic if you hit a hornets nest); 2) AC/Heat that helps make operators more productive in extreme conditions; 3) Cab stays cleaner and so do the controls and gauges; 4) Noise pollution is reduced including inhaling diesel fumes; 5) I believe it's safer. I hear arguments like, "I don't want to break the glass"...but if a tree limb or brush is hitting the glass hard enough to break glass--in an open cab you sacrifice your face and/or body. I'd rather break safety glass and replace that as opposed to my body; and 6) Inhibits operator environmental awareness? I heard this argument too, "I'll never work in an enclose cab. It's too dangerous. It limits your vision and awareness of people around you when working." I just dug a trench for a neighbor. I had 2 adults and several children in the area. I discussed the boundaries and rules with the adults and kids, I opened my front windshield, locked my door open and locked my slider window open. I worked carefully. I think that was safe. I don't believe that an open cab would have offered any advantages in this situation. That said, most of time I'm operating in heavy brush, hot weather, and a lot of bugs. I can't image an open cab scenario. I'd be heat exhausted, full of dust and fumes, fighting flies, being whacked with brush/poison oak... If I have the door and windows open the AC is still somewhat effective. Well, thought I'd just throw this thinking out there and see what kind of response I get. I'm always ready to be educated by the pros on this site. Thanks a bunch. Oh, and when I'm working on something that's a bit boring I can turn on the radio and chill out while I work.

Clguest

I decided to go with an enclosed cab on my Bobcat E35. For this and smaller mini excavators, no cab may be more typically chosen in this area. For me, the weather protection and protection from dust were keys to the decision. In addition, if the mini is left out in the elements the operator's compartment is protected.

Allan M

Occupation
I decided to go with an enclosed cab on my Bobcat E35. For this and smaller mini excavators, no cab may be more typically chosen in this area. For me, the weather protection and protection from dust were keys to the decision. In addition, if the mini is left out in the elements the operator's compartment is protected.
Ciguest: Agree. The more I think about it, it seems that an overriding factor for guys that work a full day on a machine would be fatigue. In an open cab you're dealing with the elements (heat/cold/wind/rain/snow), insects, possible heat dehydration, cold hypothermia, etc... I don't work 8 hours on my machine--but if I were I think I'd be pretty fatigued operating it during a hot dusty day or real cold day. I would think this should be a huge safety issue. I wonder if anyone knows the ratio of excavator accidents enclose cab v. open cab. If my suspicion is correct then employers (companies in the digging business) should only buy enclosed cabs to reduce accident rates and associate costs.

Toddgarage

Occupation
Construction, welding/fabrication, operator
I’ve run many hours in both open and full enclosed cab mini excavators.
Deere 17G example: I love the open cab because of the excellent visibility. If your running this small of a machine, usually your on and off it frequently, so an open cab is nice. We often take the ROPS off to sneak into locations that wouldn’t be accessible otherwise. It’s super easy clean the operators area too, quick leaf blower or power washer.
Deere 50D example: full cab with heat and a/c. The heat takes the edge off a winter Michigan day and kinda helps defrost the glass. The A/C also helps, but with so much glass, your still in a hot fishbowl. Adding window tint helps reflect the heat and glare. It’s challenging to keep the cab clean. Muddy boots, and jobsite dust are always present. The reduced noise is a huge bonus. Even with the front window opens, the rear glass shields you from most of the noise. Until you break a window….
A full cab on any machine smaller that a 35 would be cumbersome in my opinion.
Cheers Todd

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Well I'll add my $.035 adjusted for inflation.:D

For mini's - 305 sized and down we prefer open cabs for many reasons that are specific to what we do with yellow iron.

Our 305 is used for digging around utilities in tight places, running small diameter piping (12" and down) like roof leaders and domestic water lines in addition to tight space excavation and demolition. All of these situations include groundmen with shovels in addition to existing utilities or structures you don't want to damage.

As far as the operator being out in the dust, heat and other elements well so our our groundmen. I think an open cab is a safer option for what we do as line of sight is not distorted by glass and verbal communication is easier.

The other plus's are it's not another A/C system to maintain or glass to replace, not that we have major issues with either. CTL's and everything else has full cabs with A/C, the next compactor we buy will have a cab and A/C if nothing more than to protect all the electronics in the operator station.

skyking1

I requested a cab with our new 35. I have used the heat enough to justify it, and I have no problem navigating tight spaces with it. You've seen the pictures :)
With the side window open and front window open, I have plenty of communication with people around me if needed. When working closely with people that is how I run in most any weather. I can still push heat at my feet.
My only complaints:
1) it seems a little tighter to get into.
2) on the 35G, it reduces boom articulation to 62 degrees either side, where the non-cab can get 72 degrees that one way. Sometimes it comes up.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Many years ago a friend was ordering a new 450 Deere dozer......couldn't bring himself to check the box "cab w/heat & ac"
We "discussed" it over a copious ammount of beer.

Doug, at 25° wind chill the damn dozer never gets any warmer and at 90° it ain't gonna get any cooler.

Nothing more was said.

Couple months later he picked me up to go run the new machine. Damn, that cab was nice...

Ed

skyking1

I have lost all feeling running a dozer in the winter. That was the big thing about all the top drive 8's and 9's that came out, everyone got a cab around here and it was so nice.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Many years ago a friend was ordering a new 450 Deere dozer......couldn't bring himself to check the box "cab w/heat & ac"
We "discussed" it over a copious ammount of beer.

Doug, at 25° wind chill the damn dozer never gets any warmer and at 90° it ain't gonna get any cooler.

Nothing more was said.

Couple months later he picked me up to go run the new machine. Damn, that cab was nice...

Ed

Yep - anything other than a mini-ex we have cabs with A/C, we hardly use the heat a couple of times a year..LOL:p

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yep - anything other than a mini-ex we have cabs with A/C, we hardly use the heat a couple of times a year..LOL:p

Funny, seldom use AC, mostly not more than a couple weeks a year. THE HEAT.......all but about 4 months of the year.

cw4Bray

If this had happened with a closed cab I doubt I'd get the cab door open but maybe could break out the glass on the other side. I was working by myself but did have access to a phone. Should've had the rollbar in the up position. It smoked badly before it finally quit running after laying it on its side.

Attachments

• image_50747649.JPG
    image_50747649.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 54

Allan M

Occupation
should have had the roll bar up.... YA THINK???
My neighbor uses a skid steer to load wood. He never wore his seat belt. One day he was picking up a pallet with forks that was too heavy. The machine cantilevered forward, he slid out of the seat between the pallet and machine and the pallet shifted and crushed both of his legs. He's still alive (walks with a severe limp) but always wears a seat belt now. I learned from his mistake. ROPS don't help much if these are not up and the operator belted in. Even in an enclosed cab wearing a belt is the way to go. On another thread one of the experienced guys said he face-planted on the windshield of his enclosed excavator when maneuvering without a belt. Ouch.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My neighbor uses a skid steer to load wood. He never wore his seat belt. One day he was picking up a pallet with forks that was too heavy. The machine cantilevered forward, he slid out of the seat between the pallet and machine and the pallet shifted and crushed both of his legs. He's still alive (walks with a severe limp) but always wears a seat belt now. I learned from his mistake. ROPS don't help much if these are not up and the operator belted in. Even in an enclosed cab wearing a belt is the way to go. On another thread one of the experienced guys said he face-planted on the windshield of his enclosed excavator when maneuvering without a belt. Ouch.
I got tossed out of the seat flipping a backhoe on its side. No I wasn't injured, but I was educated.

There was a true story of a skid steer operator had built a ramp to load tall dump truck. He got too close to the truck & front wheels dropped off the end of the ramp. As the loader fell toward the truck, he grabbed the wooden rail top of the dump body both hands, as the top of the front opening crushed both hands. In his case, he was near losing both hands. Doctors revived the practice of using leaches to consume pooled blood in both hands. He recovered.

Seat belts are a good idea!

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Yabutt...some of those mini excavators cabs are soo small.
And they seal up pretty tight.
Bean burritos for lunch and BOOM...no more cab glass...:D

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've got a Cat 304e at work with full cab, heat and A/C. It's a nice feature in rough weather. I've had to replace the lower most window once, I was demolishing a large shed and I didn't see a stray 2x4 come out of the debris pile while I was loading it into a container. I've got a brush head on it and the glass keep flying debris from coming in the cab as well as the bugs I stir up. When I'm trenching I've got all the glass open, front glass attached to the ceiling, side door open and side window open. There's just too much glare on the inside with the glass in place to see what I'm doing. I still get a little relief from the A/C with the fan on high with the glass open. Bottom line, I'd get another machine with full enclosed cab