• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Propane smell coming from excavator exhaust...

jonny123

... and no the machines don't run on propane:)

We run a Case 9010B and a New Holland E130, and in both machines we've all smelled propane coming from the exhaust. On the New Holland it went away, but on the Case it's been continuing and the exhaust smell just lingers in the cab. First time it happened the smell was so strong that i thought i hit a gas line! Is this just the winter additives in the diesel mix? To me, it doesn't smell like burning hydraulic oil but one of our guys thinks it sorta does.

Literally everyone who comes around the machine says "do you smell that gas leak?"

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've had the smell from final drives and swing reducers. The oil will be black and at least partially burned. Did someone recently check the levels in the finals and spill some of that oil?

If the smell is actually coming from the exhaust stack, I would think you have a problem with your fuel supplier.

jofc

Propane smells out your exhaust is a sign of burning coolant. Never seen it myself but have read it in various service literatures.

westerveld

I've also had that smell coming from my 200clc deere, it comes and goes, but it definitely smells like I've hit a gas line sometimes. But if you have coming from both the case and new Holland I would assume it's something in the fuel, unless it's just coincidence that there both burning coolant?

Extractorfan

Occupation
operator earthmoving machines
... and no the machines don't run on propane:)

We run a Case 9010B and a New Holland E130, and in both machines we've all smelled propane coming from the exhaust. On the New Holland it went away, but on the Case it's been continuing and the exhaust smell just lingers in the cab. First time it happened the smell was so strong that i thought i hit a gas line! Is this just the winter additives in the diesel mix? To me, it doesn't smell like burning hydraulic oil but one of our guys thinks it sorta does.

Literally everyone who comes around the machine says "do you smell that gas leak?"
Sounds like a perfect candidate for exhaust gas recirculation - you would be on to a winner!
Good Luck.
Ex tractor fan

rsaint

My komatsu 300 does that once in a while comes from the hydraulic tank smells just like natural gas happens when i fully extend boom for a extended reach.