• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Professional equipment inspection

ianjoub

I am looking at an excavator in OH being auctioned. I would like it inspected this week. I can not get there. Is there anyone who does this service that anyone here can recommend?

I am calling the distributor for NA as I imagine they do not have that many of these units in the country. I am calling the auction house for info. I would like to hire someone for an onsite inspection as well. Has to be this week because the auction is this week.

cosmaar1

I am looking at an excavator in OH being auctioned. I would like it inspected this week. I can not get there. Is there anyone who does this service that anyone here can recommend?

I am calling the distributor for NA as I imagine they do not have that many of these units in the country. I am calling the auction house for info. I would like to hire someone for an onsite inspection as well. Has to be this week because the auction is this week.

I can’t help you, but where you planning on shipping? That is a big boy machine and definitely going to cost a pretty penny to move.

skyking1

the sprockets match up to that wear too. Not at all surprising with those hours.
FYI in the bad old days we would load the 25K counterweight off the Lorrain crane into a tandem dump truck and run with it loose. If you have a tandem you could do that, and weld a couple of eyes into the corner of the bed to make it the "good new days" :)

EDIT: here is the counterweight weight.
https://www.sanyamerica.com/wp-cont...-large-excavator-4pg-specsheet-02-09-2023.pdf
Hydraulic removable counterweight 9.7 kg (21,380 lbs)

very possible in a tandem truck.
That leaves the transport weight at 99K 11'11" wide 12'8" high.

Last edited:

cosmaar1

TN/KY border north of Knoxvillle. I assume 2 trucks, one for the machine, one for the 20-30k counterweight.

I’m betting 10k or more just to get the thing shipped. Heavy haul trucks, wide load permits, crane rentals. Just keep all that in mind.

ianjoub

Is that hydraulic oil or diesel all over the opposing idler and final?
Someone suggested to me it likely came from the engine area when the machine was rotated. Was it from maintenance or is there a decent leak? The underhood pics make it all look clean.

ianjoub

I’m betting 10k or more just to get the thing shipped. Heavy haul trucks, wide load permits, crane rentals. Just keep all that in mind.
I figured $10-15k, $10k for a hydraulic thumb, $10k to get the MIL's sorted, $20k for undercarriage. That is $50k, and likely overshot by $10-15k. So, if it can be had for $60k I can be in a decent machine for under $100k.

It may all be a moot point though as I am unable to get anyone from the auction to return my calls and give me even the most basic info.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
It had a self lowering counter weight. That's always nice. No equipment required for loading and unloading. Just make sure you have a big enough socket for the bolts.

skyking1

It had a self lowering counter weight. That's always nice. No equipment required for loading and unloading. Just make sure you have a big enough socket for the bolts.
I looked at the pick chart and it appears it can load it's own counterweight over the nose OK.

ianjoub

I looked at the pick chart and it appears it can load it's own counterweight over the nose OK.
One of the questions I have, but no one will call me back. Will the stick pick up the counterweight when the counterweight isn't installed? As in, can the machine do the job by itself...

crane operator

One of the questions I have, but no one will call me back. Will the stick pick up the counterweight when the counterweight isn't installed? As in, can the machine do the job by itself...

I bet it would with the bucket off, and you didn't try to load it too far away. You would be better off to call the former owner than the auction house. Auction house won't know anything.

FYI, the sany cranes I've been around are not great machines with poor parts support. The "local" sany dealer had several excavators rented out here local in the last year, none of the contractors that I spoke to that rented them, were remotely interested in buying one after the rental.

Resale on the sany's falls off a cliff.

skyking1

If it does no do a derate based on a sensor, it can pick its own counterweight no problem according to the chart.
I get that by looking at over the side and over the idler numbers. When they do not change then the lift capacity is based on a hydraulic bypass condition and nothing else.
This means that working over the idlers you have no tipping issue picking the counterweight without the weight on.

crane operator

Any independent mechanic service local to the auction house, should be able to do a inspection for a couple hours labor charge. If you can't find a independent, I'd probably use a Cat/ deere dealer tech.

Welder Dave

I can't imagine buying a major purchase like that without being up close and personal with it and also with someone very experienced to help fully inspect it. It's still going to cost 10's of thousands of $$$$. If I really needed it, it would be a priority to look at it in person.